U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:30 PM

21,964 posts, read 22,127,476 times

Advertisements

What are the core doctrines of Christianity, the things a person absolutely must believe to call himself a Christian?

What doctrines are contradradictory to Christianity? What kinds of things would be incompatible with Christian doctrine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 08:55 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,584,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What are the core doctrines of Christianity, the things a person absolutely must believe to call himself a Christian?

What doctrines are contradradictory to Christianity? What kinds of things would be incompatible with Christian doctrine?

You must believe that He died for you too, and cannot believe otherwise....................FINAL ANSWER!!!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:

Okay, I'll start things off.

I believe that the one core doctrine of Christianity is that Jesus is the Christ. He is our Savior, and the only means by which we might be forgiven of our sins and return to the presence of God. I can't imagine how any Christian could disagree with that statement.

I also believe that while some Christians don't put any emphasis on our "works" or "acts of obedience," most would probably agree that the gospel of Jesus Christ stressed love, forgiveness, charity and compassion for our fellow men. On the other hand, most of the world's great religions stress these same qualities, so I don't believe that what we might describe as "Christian behavior" automatically implies that a person is a Christian. If a person tries to follow Jesus Christ's example, looks to Him for salvation and sincerely considers himself to be a Christian, I will call him a Christian.

As far as I'm concerned, all other doctrines are merely appendages to what I've just described as "core Christian doctrine."

Old 03-02-2010, 09:04 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,673,360 times
Quote:
Okay, I'll start things off.

I believe that the one core doctrine of Christianity is that Jesus is the Christ. He is our Savior, and the only means by which we might be forgiven of our sins and return to the presence of God. I can't imagine how any Christian could disagree with that statement.

I also believe that while some Christians don't put any emphasis on our "works" or "acts of obedience," most would probably agree that the gospel of Jesus Christ stressed love, forgiveness, charity and compassion for our fellow men. On the other hand, most of the world's great religions stress these same qualities, so I don't believe that what we might describe as "Christian behavior" automatically implies that a person is a Christian. If a person tries to follow Jesus Christ's example, looks to Him for salvation and sincerely considers himself to be a Christian, I will call him a Christian.

As far as I'm concerned, all other doctrines are merely appendages to what I've just described as "core Christian doctrine."
I would expand that to unknowingly or knowingly following Jesus as some follow his ways by conscience (God's word written in their minds and heart) even when they haven't heard his name.

So yes I agree... course I am not the best source since not many on this board would label me as christian LOL.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:09 PM

In my experience, here are some of the things many Christians use to exclude other Christians from the Christian family:

1. They insist that a Christian must believe in the Trinity as described in the 4th and 5th century Creeds. I do not. I believe in God the Eternal Father and in His Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost. I reject the metaphysical language of the Creeds and do not believe them to have been inspired of God.

2. They insist that everything God wishes mankind to know about matters of a spiritual nature can be found in the Bible. It is inconceivable to them that any religious truth exists outside of what can be read between Genesis and Revelation. I disagree. I love the Bible and rely on it heavily, but I do not believe it is a complete record of God's dealings with mankind or that it is absolutely free from human error.

3. They insist that communication between Jesus Christ and His Church as an earthly institution ended at His death. I see no indication in the Bible that God, who spoke to living prophets for four thousand years prior to sending His Son to earth, has since decided He has nothing left say. I believe that He built His Church on a foundation of prophets and apostles and that He intended that this organization remain intact until His Second Coming.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
So yes I agree... course I am not the best source since not many on this board would label me as christian LOL.
So join the club. Why do you think I started this thread?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
You must believe that He died for you too, and cannot believe otherwise....................FINAL ANSWER!!!
I can go along with that. I believe that He was our Savior because He willingly took upon himself the guilt we incurred by our sins and paid the price for us by His suffering and death. I also believe that He was the first person ever to have died to be resurrected and that through Him we will also be resurrected.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:28 PM

28,503 posts, read 15,458,018 times
Non-negotiables of the Christian faith

Inerrancy of the Bible - if the Bible has errors, then it cannot be trusted.

Virgin birth
- This gets Christ separated from the geneology of Adam and his sin nature

Deity of Christ - He is One with the Father

Sinless nature of Christ - necessary to be a worthy sacrifice, and be the fulfillment of the law to believers

Substitutionary death of Christ

Bodily resurrection of Christ

Ascension of Christ

Christ's return to earth

Old 03-02-2010, 09:33 PM

4,243 posts, read 655,594 times
Quote:
I can go along with that. I believe that He was our Savior because He willingly took upon himself the guilt we incurred by our sins and paid the price for us by His suffering and death. I also believe that He was the first person ever to have died to be resurrected and that through Him we will also be resurrected.
Amen

Agree with both you and Betsey

Old 03-02-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Non-negotiables of the Christian faith
Quote:
Inerrancy of the Bible - if the Bible has errors, then it cannot be trusted.
Which Bible? The one the Protestants use or the one the Catholics use? Whenever people say that Christians are required to believe in the inerrancy of the Bible, I've got to wonder how much they really know about how the Bible even came to exist. Here's what I mean... In 1740, a list of the canonical books compiled in Rome just prior to 200 A.D. was discovered in the Ambrosian Libary in Milan, Italy. Missing from the accepted canon in 200 A.D. were Hebrews, James, 1 Peter and 2 Peter. Only two of John's letters were considered canonical, not three, but we don't know for sure which two. The Apocalypse of Peter and the Wisdom of Solomon, however, were included.

Eusebius of Caesara, one of the most notable Church historians to have ever lived, described (in about 300 A.D.) a canon which included only twenty-seven of the books in today's New Testament. Hebrews, James, and 2 Peter where described as questionable, as were Jude and Revelation. In the fourth century, St. Gregory of Nazianzus continued to reject Revelation and states, "You have all. If there is any any besides these, it is not among the genuine [books]." The canon he set forth was ratified some three centuries later.

The Greek Codex Claromontanus, one of the most significant New Testament manuscripts, contains a list of the canonical books of the fourth century. (The manuscript itself originates in the sixth century, however most scholars believe that the actual list dates back to the Alexandrian Church from two centuries earlier.) That list did not exclude Philippians, 1 and 2 Thessalonians or Hebrews. But guess what? It does include the Epistle of Barnabas and the Shepherd of Hermas.

Other books that are mentioned by name in today's Bibles cannot be found there at all. One example is Paul's epistle to the Laodiceans. Why was it less authoritative than his other epistles? It's mentioned in Colossians 4:16. Obviously, it was considered authoritative at the time it was written. Paul also wrote an additional epistle to the Ephesians and another to the Corinthians. When did his "apostolic authorship" come into question? Jude, too, wrote another epistle. What reason is there to believe it was so unreliable as to have been intentionally omitted from the today's canon? Or maybe it was just lost.

If we go to the Old Testament, there are even more books that are missing. These were written by "Samuel the seer," "Nathan the prophet," "Shemaiah the prophet" and others. 2 Chronicles mentions many of these by name. Why haven't we gotten rid of 2 Chronicles by now, since it references so many prophets whose work was apparently not the word of God after all?

So we not only have to believe the Bible is infallible, we have to decide which Bible is infallible.

Quote:
Virgin birth - This gets Christ separated from the geneology of Adam and his sin nature
I believe in the Virgin Birth, but you lost me with your explanation. Wasn't Christ always separated from the genealogy of Adam?

I can go along with all the rest of your points.

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-02-2010 at 10:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or