Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:22 PM

27,898 posts, read 29,722,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
One could have repented, journeyed for a little while, and then turned back to the world and its sins.
I honestly cannot fathom how anyone can really believe that a one-time profession of faith (even if it's sincere) is all that Jesus Christ requires of us. Believe. Repent. Be saved. Do anything you want to after that and be assured that all future sins will be forgiven and that you're home free. I just don't get it, and I definitely don't believe that's how it works. You can't claim have faith in Christ and be completely unfaithful to Christ! Could anything be more hypocritical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 06:55 PM

1,711 posts, read 1,893,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
I love the parable of the sower. It explains the false converts.
  • Mark 4:17 And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when affliction or persecution ariseth for the word's sake, immediately they are offended.
  • Matthew 26:31 Then saith Jesus unto them, All ye shall be offended because of me this night: for it is written, I will smite the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock shall be scattered abroad. 32 But after I am risen again, I will go before you into Galilee. 33 Peter answered and said unto him, Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet will I never be offended. 34 Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the **** crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. 35 Peter said unto him, Though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Likewise also said all the disciples.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:22 PM

20,390 posts, read 12,666,331 times
If I can lose my salvation, then it's all about me (works based). I just don't buy that. My salvation is about what Jesus did for me. He took care of my sin debt. There is nothing, absolutely nothing I can do to lose my salvation.

I feel sorry for those of you that have to worry about whether you're saved at any given moment. What an unnecessary waste of precious time!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:50 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,412,706 times
Is it possible to fall away?

Are we there yet?

Old 03-05-2010, 10:19 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,454,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caucazhin View Post
yeah scgraham I use 2 be a OSAS believer but there were 2 many contradictions that I couldnt harmonize
I dont believe you can lose your salvation like you could lose a quarter or a pair of glasses but I believe that salvation is an ongoing love relationship and thats reflected in us being called Christs bride.
So 4 me the question became can you neglect that relationship 2 the point where it actually dies and I believe you can and that scripture points this out as a warning
Now I dont know exactly where that point is and its probably different for each individual but I also know I dont want to find out because I know Ive come really close at times
Satan is constantly trying to pull us away from God with the things of this world
This scripture reflects this whole scenario perfectly 2 me
Hebrews 3
12 Beware, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief in departing from the living God
13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

Be sure and watch that movie I posted above its really very insightful.........PEACE
I agree with this . .

Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,430,992 times
Matthew 10:22
All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved

Matthew 24:13
but he who stands firm to the end will be saved

2 John 1:8
Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully.

Matthew 13:20
The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time.

"he who stands firm to the end" and "Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for"............ how does that not answer the question of "possibility" other than yes?

Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,404,667 times
Hebrews 6 is not about losing salvation.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:21 AM

27,898 posts, read 29,722,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Matthew 10:22
All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved

Matthew 24:13
but he who stands firm to the end will be saved

2 John 1:8
Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for, but that you may be rewarded fully.

Matthew 13:20
The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time.

"he who stands firm to the end" and "Watch out that you do not lose what you have worked for"............ how does that not answer the question of "possibility" other than yes?
Twin Spin, you and I disagree on a lot of issues, but you've given some excellent examples in this case. Thanks for doing that. I'm going to make note of those for later reference.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:50 AM

303 posts, read 568,045 times
jimmie SAID: If I can lose my salvation, then it's all about me (works based).

Yeah I use to see it that way 2 but I look at it now like marriage which is ( LOVE BASED ) and yes as anyone who has been married for any length of time can tell can tell you do have to work at marriage but its not "works based"

LOVE is the key here....
Can you fall out of love....certainly it happens all the time the divorce rate is
roughly 50%
Would you say that all couples who are divorced were never really in love ?
No way !
Can you fall out of love with God and in love with the things of this world ?
I believe quite possibly you can

REVELATION 3
17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and have gotten riches, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art the wretched one and miserable and poor and blind and naked:
18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold refined by fire, that thou mayest become rich; and white garments, that thou mayest clothe thyself, and that the shame of thy nakedness be not made manifest; and eyesalve to anoint thine eyes, that thou mayest sEE

Its obvious here 2 me that Christ is calling them back to that LOVE relationship but in the end its their choice and the ball is left in their court.The worldly things they have fallen in love with or Christ and Jesus is making the fact that its their choice very clear
LOVE cannot be coerced......

Old 03-06-2010, 12:38 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,859,928 times
If it were not possible to fall away, then why did God bother to put several warnings about falling away, in His Word? Did God make a mistake, in having those put in there? Are they in the Bible just to "take up space" ?

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity