Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:04 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
You tell me.....do you sin? Did the Jews gather under His wing?
Like I said...thelo has NOTHING to do with the WILL OF GOD.
Why are you trying to divert the debate? What you have said has nothing to do with the OP.

Lets say you are right. Many will go into eternal torment. Yippee. Then we are still left with the OP. Let me repeat:

1. Is God unable to save them?
OR
2. Is God unwilling to save them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 01:24 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,646 times
You asked me to reply here didn't you from another thread?

So I did.

And secondly, it has everything to do with the OP, because it is the misrepresentation of the term "will" in this particular verse. Again, your interpretation is in error and isn't in line with the original language. You have imported another meaning into the text, which is contradictory.

Thus, leading to a false assumption and pressuposition.

Again I say, this has nothing to do with the divine ordinance of God's will.
It is only His desire, in terms of emotions. He wants, but does not always get.

Like sin....your sin. Like the Jews being under His wing. Neither of the two occurs or occured.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:40 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,128,885 times
Quote:
You asked me to reply here didn't you from another thread?

So I did.

And secondly, it has everything to do with the OP, because it is the misrepresentation of the term "will" in this particular verse. Again, your interpretation is in error and isn't in line with the original language. You have imported another meaning into the text, which is contradictory.

Thus, leading to a false assumption and pressuposition.

Again I say, this has nothing to do with the divine ordinance of God's will.
It is only His desire, in terms of emotions. He wants, but does not always get.

Like sin....your sin. Like the Jews being under His wing. Neither of the two occurs or occured.

Look sciotamicks, I'm not talking about any particular verse, or any particular meaning of the word "will" or "thelo" or "desire" or whatever you are trying to say here. I am talking about a logical construct:

1. Either God can't save all people
OR
2. He doesn't want to save all people

Logically, can there be any other option? If so, please let me know.

But from your post above, it appears that you believe God is unable to save all -- because, according to your post above, man has already done something God didn't intend him to: sin. Furthermore the Jews didn't want to come under God's wing. Oh how the power of man surpasses the power of God, according to your view. God really really really really really wants to save all people, but mighty man is having nothing to do with it. Man will frustrate God for all eternity I suppose. How sad for God. According to your view.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:52 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,868,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Why are you trying to divert the debate? What you have said has nothing to do with the OP.

Lets say you are right. Many will go into eternal torment. Yippee. Then we are still left with the OP. Let me repeat:

1. Is God unable to save them?
OR
2. Is God unwilling to save them?
How does this apply?

John 3: 17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

If I may expound on this point:

Here's the great commission;

Matthew 28: 18And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19Go ye therefore, and teach all nations,......

So what had happened here?

Acts 16: 6Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia, 7After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not. 8And they passing by Mysia came down to Troas. 9And a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us. 10And after he had seen the vision, immediately we endeavoured to go into Macedonia, assuredly gathering that the Lord had called us for to preach the gospel unto them.

Does the whole point rests on this warning from God and God's promise?

Matthew 7: 6Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. 7Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

John 6: 44No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

Does this change the parameters by which you are limitting God's will and purpose? Does not God as God knows those that seek Him from those that care not to, but live in sin? Does this show that God as God knows those that seek Him and will get the Gospel to them and enable them to hear and see the truth when presented so that they can believe the Good News? Are there not many that heard the Good News and believe not?

Since God is good and those that want nothing to do with God: then they are going where nothing good dwells: the lake of fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels and where in the end, death and even Hades will be cast into the lake of fire which is the second death. And if death and hades becasted therein, then there is no coming out.

1 Corinthians 15: 22For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 23But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. 24Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 27For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. 28And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Revelation 20: And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. 14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. 15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 21: 8But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

UR should not be giving any sinner pause to procrastinate in coming to Jesus to be saved from their sins to live as His as well as resting in Him for eternal life.

But I believe God knows those that are seeking Him and UR will not get in the way of that, but I would not preach that which is not true as I trust Himj to help me be a faithful witness of the Truth.

You look at how we deal with multiple transgressors: jail wasn't enough for rehabilitation? If evil knows they are getting out: they will be just looking to do their next evil. Look at Satan. In the pit for 1000 years and after release: he is still at it because why? The same reason why there are those that reject Christ: they love the darkness rather than come to the light: they do not want to be reproved of their evil deeds.

So the parameters you are setting is ignoring God as knowing those that seek Him from those that do not.

This is why His burden is easy and His yoke is light because He is the One that is working and ministering as He leads those that follow Him to serve Him out of love for others that they may know the Good News in Christ.

So God is able to save as God is willing to save those that seek Him as He knows who is from those that care not a whit but to live in darkness.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Look sciotamicks, I'm not talking about any particular verse, or any particular meaning of the word "will" or "thelo" or "desire" or whatever you are trying to say here. I am talking about a logical construct:

1. Either God can't save all people
OR
2. He doesn't want to save all people

Logically, can there be any other option? If so, please let me know.

But from your post above, it appears that you believe God is unable to save all -- because, according to your post above, man has already done something God didn't intend him to: sin. Furthermore the Jews didn't want to come under God's wing. Oh how the power of man surpasses the power of God, according to your view. God really really really really really wants to save all people, but mighty man is having nothing to do with it. Man will frustrate God for all eternity I suppose. How sad for God. According to your view.
Your assumption and conclusion is strawman.

From what scripture is this pressuposition taken from?
Or is it just a reasoning of man?

If it isn't from any particular verse, then you are building a case with no foundation and is un-Biblical, but if it is, then you are building a case from scripture, and that must be contended with.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
So God is able to save as God is willing to save those that seek Him as He knows who is from those that care not a whit but to live in darkness.
Very well said.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:03 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
He wants, but does not always get.
Legoman,

I think that sciotamicks has given you his answer to your question.

He is unable to save all.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Legoman,

I think that sciotamicks has given you his answer to your question.

He is unable to save all.

Again...what is the premise of the assumption...1 Tim 2:4...am I correct?
Or is it man's assumption based on zero Biblical evidence?

Your conclusion is strawman.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:11 PM

For the record,

God can do anything He wants or pleases (Job 23:13; Dan 4:35; Psa 115:3; Psa 135:6), but in the context of this thread, as Legoman has proclaimed, has nothing to do with any verse or scriptures at all, therefore it s a reasoning and assumption based on nothing. If we were to base this assumption on the scripture, then we must analyze the scripture in question.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:23 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Gal 5:19-21 is not talking about hell or heaven. It is talking about reigning with God in His Kingdom. I agree not everyone will inherit this reign.

But twin.spin, which do you believe it is:

1. Is God unable to save all?
OR
2. unwilling to save all?
Legoman,
In context of UR, it's neither.

But to answer you...it's not about God. The core issue that is at heart is within the human capacity to reject God and with that rejection be held accountable here on earth, does that accountability carry over eternally at death.

Jesus says "yes" that the accountability does carry over:

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

John 12:48
There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day.

Luke 10:16
"He who listens to you listens to me; he who rejects you rejects me; but he who rejects me rejects him who sent me."

Mark 3:29
But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; he is guilty of an eternal sin."

Never means never....

Last edited by twin.spin; 03-06-2010 at 02:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity