U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-06-2010, 03:00 PM

161 posts, read 309,203 times
Default Christian Behavior In Today's Society?

With the direction the world seems to heading, it is more confusing than ever for some to know what rules apply to being a true Christian.

We are all sinners, but some things are so obviously wrong, and some try to sugar-coat other sins as being "no big deal" because the majority do them.

So please share your thoughts about these topics or other Christian actions that seem to be debatable.

1. Attending Church or Fellowishp...I was always told that while attending Church is not essential to being saved, a Christian should WANT to interact with other Christians in worship. Do you agree, or is Church no big deal?

2. Drinking...I personally do not drink at all, and am often outcast because of it. Should a Christian avoid drinking alcohol, or does it not matter? Different Christians tell you different views. I live in Kentucky right now, in an area that is labeled as "very religious", and yet it is also known for its heavy drinking.

3. Marriage...Should all Christians get married, or is it okay to be single you're entire life? It seems like over half the people I know under 40 are divorced or on their second or third marriage. It seems like no one takes marriage seriously anymore. When times get tough, they get bored, or want something different, they just get divorced. I am single, and would rather stay single than get married and then have my wife just decide she is tired of me and want a divorce. And can anyone who is part of a same-sex couple actually be considered a good Christian?

4. Sex...As I said above, I am single and was never married. Therefore, I am proud to say I have abstained, because I believe that is how it should be. It has not been easy, but am I wrong for doing so? These days, many people throw sex around like water.

It seems like the general attitude from a lot of Christians is that "I'll just do whatever I want, because ultimately, God will forgive me because Jesus died for my sins." Is this the right approach, and is it basically true?

Thanks for anyone's thoughts on these subjects. I am not trying to tell anyone they are right or wrong. I have just become a bit uncertain about some things that I see happening every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-06-2010, 03:49 PM

1,315 posts, read 854,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
With the direction the world seems to heading, it is more confusing than ever for some to know what rules apply to being a true Christian.
I believe it is not so much as being a true christian as it is about abiding in Him since all believers have been bought with a price and sealed as His at the moment of salvation when they came to and believed in Jesus Christ.

Quote:
We are all sinners, but some things are so obviously wrong, and some try to sugar-coat other sins as being "no big deal" because the majority do them.

So please share your thoughts about these topics or other Christian actions that seem to be debatable.

1. Attending Church or Fellowishp...I was always told that while attending Church is not essential to being saved, a Christian should WANT to interact with other Christians in worship. Do you agree, or is Church no big deal?
If one can find a church keeping the faith and not turning a blind eye to brothers living in sin or having committed a trespass just to keep members, let me know. I believe the time of the Gentiles is coming to an end because of the falling away of the faith.

Here is the call as it is given to every believer: so should a church heed:

2 Timothy 2:18Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. 19Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 20But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work. 22Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Quote:
2. Drinking...I personally do not drink at all, and am often outcast because of it. Should a Christian avoid drinking alcohol, or does it not matter? Different Christians tell you different views. I live in Kentucky right now, in an area that is labeled as "very religious", and yet it is also known for its heavy drinking.
I personally do not drink either but the exhortation to every believer is to be sober so if a believer can drink and not get drunk: I got nothing to say except for those that know their limit, not to drink in front of those that are known alcholics lest they cause that brother or person to stumble.

2 Corinthians 5:13For whether we be beside ourselves, it is to God: or whether we be sober, it is for your cause.

1 Thessalonians 5:6Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. 7For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. 8But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. 9For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

1 Peter 5:8Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Quote:
3. Marriage...Should all Christians get married, or is it okay to be single you're entire life? It seems like over half the people I know under 40 are divorced or on their second or third marriage. It seems like no one takes marriage seriously anymore. When times get tough, they get bored, or want something different, they just get divorced. I am single, and would rather stay single than get married and then have my wife just decide she is tired of me and want a divorce. And can anyone who is part of a same-sex couple actually be considered a good Christian?

4. Sex...As I said above, I am single and was never married. Therefore, I am proud to say I have abstained, because I believe that is how it should be. It has not been easy, but am I wrong for doing so? These days, many people throw sex around like water.
1 Corinthians 7th chapter covers most aspects of your issue here.

1 Corinthians 7 - Passage*Lookup - King James Version - BibleGateway.com

Quote:
It seems like the general attitude from a lot of Christians is that "I'll just do whatever I want, because ultimately, God will forgive me because Jesus died for my sins." Is this the right approach, and is it basically true?

Thanks for anyone's thoughts on these subjects. I am not trying to tell anyone they are right or wrong. I have just become a bit uncertain about some things that I see happening every day.
As the call is for every believer to depart from inqiuity by looking to the Good Shepherd, the author and finsiher of our faith in running that race as He helps us to lay aside every weight and sin that so easily beset us, believers should remember the prodigal son as he gave up his inheritance for wild living and the cost of that is being left behind at the pre tribulational rapture event, being damned as a vessel unto dishonour in God's House by which there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth that it will take God to perform a miracle for those coming out of the great tribulation to get past that loss of the inheritance of being of the first fruit by wiping the tears from their eyes.

1 Corinthians 6: 8Nay, ye do wrong, and defraud, and that your brethren. 9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. 11And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. 12All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.......... 15Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid. 16What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.

17But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. 18Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. 19What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
Hebrews 12:1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. 4Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. 5And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 6For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.... 28Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: 29For our God is a consuming fire.

1 Corinthians 3: 15If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire. 16Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? 17If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are.... 23And ye are Christ's; and Christ is God's.

Colossians 1: 20And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven. 21And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now hath he reconciled 22In the body of his flesh through death, to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in his sight: 23If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister; ....27To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: 28Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

As Jesus taught excommunication so will He do at the pre tribulational rapture event:

1 Peter 4: 17For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

As Paul view of excommunication mirrors what Christ will accomplish as He will finish what He has started even in those left behind for He will lose none.

1 Corinthians 5: 4In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus. ....

11But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolator, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. 12For what have I to do to judge them also that are without? do not ye judge them that are within? 13But them that are without God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person.

As it was, the believer had repented and Paul second letter to the Corinthians instructed them to let him back in then.

And so it is the same for every believer to depart from iniquity, looking to Jesus the Bridegroom to have them ready as the chaste bride, but once those doors are shut, that first fruit of the resurrection can never be had again for that one comes with a meal as in the Marriage Supper of the Lamb.

So it does matter as it did for Esau when he sold his birthright for a meal.. something temporary.

1 John 2: 15Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. 17And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Pleased to meet you, brother. I pray that the Lord Jesus will continue to keep us both abiding in Him to be received to His glory as vessels unto honour in God's House of Whom we will give thanks and glory to in His name.

Unread 03-06-2010, 04:11 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,350,571 times
Quote:

We are all sinners,
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? - Romans 6:1-2

Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. - Romans 6:12-14

For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. - Romans 6:20-23

You're either a sinner or a Saint; a child of the devil or a child of God.

Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. - 1 John 3:6-9

Unread 03-06-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? - Romans 6:1-2

Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace. - Romans 6:12-14

For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death. But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. - Romans 6:20-23

You're either a sinner or a Saint; a child of the devil or a child of God.

Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. - 1 John 3:6-9
In response to this quote and not necessarily to the poster of this quote:

There is a difference between living in sin as in a sinful lifestyle like fornication and those shortcomings that crop up from time to time in trying to have dominion over us like cussing. Either way, the believer is to look to Jesus Christ to deliver them from their sins, lead them away from future temptations, and deliver them from the evil one as the devil is like a devouring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

1 John 2:1My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

1 John 1: 9If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Philippians 1: 6Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ: ....

9And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment; 10That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ. 11Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

2 Timothy 2: 18Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some. 19Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity. 20But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour. 21If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work. 22Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart....24And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, 25In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 26And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.

Jude 1:21Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. 22And of some have compassion, making a difference: 23And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh. 24Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

1 Corinthians 10: 12Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. 13There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Hebrews 12: 1Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, 2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds. 4Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin. 5And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: 6For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. 7If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? 8But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. 9Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? 10For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.

Sometimes it is best to use this Psalm that many use at funerals, but really, they should be the words of every believer living today.

Psalm 23:1The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Unread 03-06-2010, 09:07 PM

4,191 posts, read 2,846,808 times
Quote:

Yes we are all sinners but if we are true to the Lord we will repent and try to live as He did.

Quote:
We are fellowshiping now and no we do not have to go to a Church building to worship and fellowship.

Quote:
I like a beer every now and then and it would take at least a 12 pack to get me drunk, I dont drink enough to get drunk and I hate liquor. So as long as you know your limit and stick to it your fine.

Quote:
So long as you do it as God commands.

Same sex couple are a touchie subject here, but no they cannot be considered true Christians if they continues in their sinful lifestyles. Remember Christians are a work in progress and anyone who openly justifies there sin and denies it being sin then you have to question their walk and their fruit.

Quote:
I have been married for 22 years and have never been with another woman so you have every right to be proud of your abstinance.

Quote:
Yes we all get this attitude at time whether it be sexual sins or white lies it still does not make for a good witness and makes us hypocrites.

Quote:
Keep up the good work we value your questions.

Unread 03-07-2010, 07:49 AM

1,144 posts, read 817,053 times
Quote:

I consider the organized church and most denominations to be the ***** of Babylon, but I occassionally attend Christian meetings in a more private atmosphere, but I would forbear from visiting the organized churches.

I'm from Germany, Bavaria, drinking beer is quite usual here, the bible does not forbid to drink alcohol, in fact it is sometimes mentioned that wine is something good, it depends on how much you drink, drinking excessively is of course not good. I used to smoke and gave this up, because it is obviously harmful, not only for yourself but also for others.

According to Paul, it seems better to be not married, but I hope to find the right woman and to marry, but not to marry is in no case unscriptural. If you mean homosexuality in the last passage, this is somethigng very sinful, but I suppose not more sinful than other sexual transgressions.

Sex outside marriage is forbidden according to the bible, but personally I don't consider it sinful if a couple has sex when they have the sincere intention to stay together FOREVER and truly love each other.

I am ironically an universalist, I do no neither believe in eternal hell nor in annihilation but a kind of remedial judgment, similar to the modern Jews' Ge'Hinnom; but I cannot aggree with such a mindset, it is therefore not true, however I believe the consequences of sin happen primarily already in this life.

I hope it is ok to have written my opinions in your post.

Unread 03-07-2010, 10:24 AM

2,250 posts, read 2,350,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enow View Post
In response to this quote and not necessarily to the poster of this quote:

There is a difference between living in sin as in a sinful lifestyle
You can believe that lie all you want, but God said that we must live free from sin. If a person gives into temptation to sin, even just one sin, then the devil is their father.

Jesus healed a man and found him in the temple later on. Jesus said to him, "... Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee." - John 5:14

Jesus didn't tell him to cut back on his sinning or try not to sin. No, Jesus said, "sin no more". He told the woman caught in adultery the same thing.

When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee? She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more. - John 8:10-11

I have heard of people who received physical healing from the Lord, but they didn't believe that the children of God must not commit sin. Guess what? They lost their healing.

Unread 03-07-2010, 10:40 AM

4,618 posts, read 4,337,785 times
Quote:

1. I attend church. I don't feel like I HAVE to but sometimes I feel like I am the only one trying to be a good Christian and I need interaction from other Christians to know I am not alone!

2. Don't drink much. Not really that experienced either. Alcohol doesn't taste good. And it makes me feel bloated after awhile.

3. Would love to get married someday.

4. I am also proud to say I have abstained. Mind you, I'm still in high school and every day I'm with my guy friends, they get to talking about everything that involves sex. I laugh it off and pretend like I'm a cool guy but I really don't know anything about what their talking about. I'm educated about sex yes. But I don't know what it feels like to do what their doing. I don't know the emotional and spiritual aspects that go along with it. I don't know what it feels like to connect with another human being on that kind of level. They make it sound like there is nothing else going on besides flesh bumping and grinding.

I don't agree with what you said about alot of Christians having a "Do whatever I want" attitude. Alot of my Christians friends are very much in touch with what the bible says. They don't have that attitude at all. The ones who do should not consider themselves Christian if that is the case. You don't get to do whatever you want and then think that you'll be forgiven for them at the end of the day. You need to listen now and have discipline enough to follow his word.

Unread 03-07-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenM View Post

Sex outside marriage is forbidden according to the bible, but personally I don't consider it sinful if a couple has sex when they have the sincere intention to stay together FOREVER and truly love each other.

I am ironically an universalist, I do no neither believe in eternal hell nor in annihilation but a kind of remedial judgment, similar to the modern Jews' Ge'Hinnom; but I cannot aggree with such a mindset, it is therefore not true, however I believe the consequences of sin happen primarily already in this life.

I hope it is ok to have written my opinions in your post.
There are some contentions I wish to share with you.

From the universalist's point of view, it's a wonder why anyone would repent to be saved. Saved from what? You are pretty much alluding to what Trailhiker is saying in that nobody sees sin as a big deal.

And being a universalist and having that view of sex by an unmarried couple as not wrong if they intended to stay together, I wonder why you would want to marry? Why would anyone see the need for the Saviour to save them from their sins if the consequences of sin is a kind of remedial judgment? Certainly would take away the need for anyone to believe in Jesus now: sort of like.. saying dryly,"Why thank you, Lord. Please leave me alone now while I continue to do whatever I want."

Sin seperated us from God and the only way back to God is through Jesus Christ by believing in Him: that means the whole point is reconciling us back into a personal relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

If you know what the Bible says, then you should know this:

John 14: 23Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. 24He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

John 3:16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved. 21But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

The conditions has been set in how we are to be saved and the condemnation has been already given for those that believe not.

Isaiah 66:22For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain. 23And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD. 24And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

So there is no need to procrastinate or supprt a teaching that would cause others to procrastinate since death can strike at any moment as the rapture could come at any moment.

2 Corinthians 6: 1We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. 2(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.) 3Giving no offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed:

Unread 03-07-2010, 06:11 PM

13,392 posts, read 8,059,216 times
Quote:

Quote:
I almost always attend church on Sundays and to me it's important because it's when I go to church that I renew my baptismal covenants with Jesus Christ.

Quote:
I have a glass of wine on Thanksgiving and another on Christmas (even though drinking is strictly forbidden by my church). In circles outside my own church, I am definitely viewed as an outcast for not drinking.

Quote:
I will have been married for 40 years this coming June. Having an enduring commitment to my spouse is an essential part of my faith.

Quote:
I was a virgin when I got married at the age of 21. This is, in my opinion, something you can justly be proud of.

Quote:

You're made some good points. I'll probably be in the minority for agreeing with you on all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity