U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2010, 03:05 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,029,785 times

Advertisements

I'd like for people who believe in a literal hell to share their stories of what they are doing to prevent people from burning for eternity. Feel free to share your feelings about how this affects your daily life. Also, if you don't believe it's literal but did at one time in your life, feel free to share what you did in the past.

I would also be interested in discussion on what effort on this matter you believe is acceptable in God's sight, and how do you know what that is? How far should you reach out to get this message to others? (Is it good enough to make sure this doesn't happen to your kids and your spouse, or do you stop at your extended family? Should you help rescue your neighbor, your kids' friends, or your co-workers? Or maybe you should go door-to-door in your neighborhood/city/county/state/country or travel to another country.)

This thread shouldn't be a debate over a literal lake of fire vs. a symbolic one. It is about self examination and determining what we believe God wants us to do. I for one have to admit that I totally failed in this area when I believed as I did.

Last edited by Bright Hope for Tomorrow; 03-10-2010 at 03:17 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 03:14 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,744,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I'd like for people who believe in a literal hell to share their stories of what they are doing to prevent people from burning for eternity. Feel free to share your feelings about how this affects your daily life. Also, if you don't believe it's literal but did at one time in your life, feel free to share what you did in the past.

I would also be interested in discussion on what effort on this matter you believe is acceptable in God's sight, and how do you know what that is? How far should you reach out to get this message to others? (Is it good enough to make sure this doesn't happen to your kids and your spouse, or do you stop at your extended family? Should you help rescue your neighbor, your kids' friends, or your co-workers? Or maybe you should go door-to-door in your neighborhood/city/county/state/country or travel to another country.)

This thread shouldn't be a debate over a literal lake of fire vs. a symbolic one. It is more about self examination, and I for one have to admit that I totally failed in this area when I believed as I did.
I always used the excuse: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

But then in thinking about that... well then why lead the horse in the first place if my leading him there has no effect since even God himself was apparently unable to make him drink. I was definitely torn between wanting no part of hell and trying to figure out how to help others out of it. To be truthful, I never knew what exactly would send me to hell.. While hell existed in my mind I was always afraid that I didn't know the right rules to avoid going there. What if I swore right before I died in a horrible auto accident? Then I guess all my belief and faith and good deeds were for naught.

I was so conflicted within myself that I was not in any position to witness to others for over 20 years.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post

I was so conflicted within myself that I was not in any position to witness to others for over 20 years.
I think you hit on something very true for many. I think one reason I didn't warn people was because I didn't have the answers. One time I was in a public place and out of the blue a man asked me if I believed in God. I told him yes and he asked a few more questions. Then he told me that he was considering being a Christian, but he didn't think he could believe in a God who would burn people in hell. I couldn't explain how it all made sense so I gave him my preacher's business card that I happened to have in my purse and asked him to call him. I was so mad at myself for not being able to explain how it was ok that a loving God would burn people eternally. I shared that story in Sunday school and asked them what I should have said, and no one had a answer. Many in there were Christians for 20-30-even 40 years!

Whether you believe in ET or not, I think we can all agree that this lack of an explanation that makes perfect sense is keeping people from witnessing.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:50 PM

6,946 posts, read 7,254,324 times
When I was in the system, I remember witnessing in a "do it, or else!" tone. This was very convicting for me then, and has always made the church look superior in its stance (be like us, or burn).

People would argue that following Christ is exclusive, but I think if we looked deeper into His love - it's very inclusive. He calls many to be sons through fires and quakes, and those that overcome are then able to give birth to others - not just anyone has His anointing - but we've twisted His plan (as always) into one of empty people witnessing to those who can't see either, and stoning those whom God has called out for real ministry.

I ranted - sorry.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:51 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,664,495 times
I try to show God's love to my friends, family and coworkers who aren't believers. I'm not going to yell at them, "Repent, repent!!" because that doesn't work. People have to make the decision themselves but so many of them have hardened hearts and they want to continue doing their own thing and now follow God.

I also regularly pray for their salvation. My great aunt and uncle prayed for my parents for many, many years and my parents are now believers. They had faith that one day my parents would know the truth and praise God that they do! I know all things are possible with the Lord and I believe that even the people that are so far from the Lord can humble themselves and admit they were wrong and need Christ.

I'm not a missionary, but I would love to go on mission to Mexico or Uganda. They are very expensive so that's what has been stopping me. One day in the near future my husband and I will do it. He really wants to too. I praise God for full time missionaries!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 PM

6,209 posts, read 3,907,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I always used the excuse: "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

But then in thinking about that... well then why lead the horse in the first place if my leading him there has no effect since even God himself was apparently unable to make him drink. I was definitely torn between wanting no part of hell and trying to figure out how to help others out of it. To be truthful, I never knew what exactly would send me to hell.. While hell existed in my mind I was always afraid that I didn't know the right rules to avoid going there. What if I swore right before I died in a horrible auto accident? Then I guess all my belief and faith and good deeds were for naught.

Wow, I know what you mean.

I used to wonder why I couldn't lead anyone to Christ. No one would listen, a turn or burn message is just met with mockery.

Eventually, I would say I gave up on it for a while (a long while). Then later when I discovered UR in the bible, I also discovered that God was the one in control. It wasn't up to me to save people - that's why Jesus came.

I wonder how many people here feel they have "saved" someone by leading them to Christ?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:30 PM

702 posts, read 572,472 times
In the beginning God said, "Let us make man in our image and likeness..." This is His immutable purpose. Paul spoke of being, "in travail until Christ be fully formed in you." We are told to "Become, then, imitators of God, as beloved children..." (Eph 5:1)

Assuming this to be absolutely true, the purpose and command of God, consider an obedient man, the father of several children. He sets a deadline. You know what that is? Like people's unbiblical tradition of there being the line of death which once crossed means your destiny has been set. God works to convert you no more. It's too late. There are no more opportunities to repent, to change. So the father has a dead line. The children who repent in time are forgiven and accepted. Those rebellious after the deadline are condemned. They are imprisoned and tortured, specially with burnings and heat. Only so much lest they die; but as much as possible. This must be prolonged as long as best he is able in copying the true torment God his Father will perpetuate upon billions of His own helpless children. There is no mercy. This man is only obeying His God. According to Eternal Torture doctrine God is far worse than Stalin who could only for a season enslave then kill you, or Hitler who could only torture you and then you were released in death. Jesus is supposed to never release His prisoners. They cannot escape perpetual pain by dying.

God is of vastly greater evil beyond all comparison or comprehension than any man or devil, however evil so the believer continues torturing these children for years as they mature, all the while repeating, "I love you." That God is loving forever those He is torturing forever makes Him a sadistic schizophrenic with multiple personality disorder and something worse than serial murderers who at least grant release when they kill their victims. "All things are for His pleasure" according to Scripture. If this is what He actually does to satisfy His Divine justice, then how satisfying can it be? It has nothing to do with justice, if He has to keep torturing them then He can never be satisfied! Therefore He has to get pleasure out of torturing those He loves. The children's cries for mercy are ignored. It is too late. They passed the deadline and must be punished. It is only right. Punished as perpetually as humanly possible and their "wrongs" are still not expunged. As their God can never be satisfied but must ceaselessly torture for ever and ever, always, everlasting punishing, for ever and ever, and ever...and ever...do you never think about it!? Can you never meditate at length on this incomparable horror, this greatest of evils!?

And what, when found out, would any human court do to such an one, obedient to the God you teach Him is true?

Last edited by JamesMRohde; 03-10-2010 at 08:45 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 08:00 PM

5,124 posts, read 5,302,421 times
Quote:

This thread shouldn't be a debate over a literal lake of fire vs. a symbolic one. It is about self examination and determining what we believe God wants us to do. I for one have to admit that I totally failed in this area when I believed as I did.
Well I don't do anything. If people end up there, I've always thought it's simply of their own account. They didn't want to follow the word or listen to what Jesus Christ has in store for their lives. If they don't care, why should I? But you know, I'm kinda conflicted on that. I don't like to talk about the Lord or God with strangers or my peers because of an incident that happened in 7th grade. We were all sitting down together talking about religion. And one middle-eastern muslim boy kept objecting to everything we said. Most of us at the table were Christians. I understand he felt left out or strange because he was the only muslim. After an hour or so of debating on various topics, one girl said something to him (I don't remember) but he spat back with ferocious anger in him and I quote "You think I give a f- about Jesus?! I don't give an f- about Jesus!!".

And the sad part is his anger and resentment. He was the class clown and the nicest guy in the class. Everybody liked him. He was popular throughout the entire school. We didn't know he had such strong and hateful feelings about Jesus. I was scarred ever since that day. I mean I was scared. I've never heard anyone denounce the name of Christ like that. Seriously. We were all in shock. And that's one reason why religion is now and STILL a taboo in school. And that is why I choose to not discuss my religion with anyone. They can keep talking reckless about Jesus but it won't prosper.

But then again, I should have stood up for Jesus. He died for my sins and I couldn't have said anything? Maybe the sad one was me. But I grew out of that. I will now fight for him wherever or whenever someone has the audacity to disrespect his name. I won't fight with fist or use filthy language because he never did. But I will cut you deep with words. There's too many people nowadays playing around with Christianity and God and the Lord and thinking we're all part of some big joke. It isn't a joke. It's real and he's real and you better recognize.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Well I don't do anything. If people end up there, I've always thought it's simply of their own account. They didn't want to follow the word or listen to what Jesus Christ has in store for their lives. If they don't care, why should I?
In the remainder of your post you sounded like a nice person, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you really can't possibly mean what you said here. Substitute these words for "end up there" in your comment:

Well I don't do anything. If people go to hell and burn forever and ever with no hope of being rescued from the pain, sorrow, the stinch of burning flesh, the screams of begging for mercy, the misery, anguish, regrets, the longing for another chance, not just for a few moments but for centuries, millenniums, and infiinity, I've always thought it's simply of their own account. They didn't want to follow the word or listen to what Jesus Christ has in store for their lives. If they don't care, why should I?

I think it's like firstborn888 said in a different thread:

I was in the ministry for just under 30 years. I would say, in all my years of full time service, missionary trips and evangelistic crusades that "zero" of those who say they believe in eternal torment live like they believe it. That's why I assume the best (that they really don't, in their heart of hearts, believe it). Of course I excuse hyper Calvinists from this as in their world no one can freely choose.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:11 PM

5,124 posts, read 5,302,421 times
Quote:
In the remainder of your post you sounded like a nice person, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you really can't possibly mean what you said here. Substitute these words for "end up there" in your comment:

Well I don't do anything. If people go to hell and burn forever and ever with no hope of being rescued from the pain, sorrow, the stinch of burning flesh, the screams of begging for mercy, the misery, anguish, regrets, the longing for another chance, not just for a few moments but for centuries, millenniums, and infiinity, I've always thought it's simply of their own account. They didn't want to follow the word or listen to what Jesus Christ has in store for their lives. If they don't care, why should I?

I think it's like firstborn888 said in a different thread:

I was in the ministry for just under 30 years. I would say, in all my years of full time service, missionary trips and evangelistic crusades that "zero" of those who say they believe in eternal torment live like they believe it. That's why I assume the best (that they really don't, in their heart of hearts, believe it). Of course I excuse hyper Calvinists from this as in their world no one can freely choose.
Yeah I have a big mouth and I really say things that I might not fully understand on a personal level. I'm just not sure. I'm not saying I don't care if people end up in hell but I'm trying to say that I don't think I should have anything to do with someone who personally denounced Jesus Christ as their lord and savior and then act surprised when they find that they can't enter the gates of Heaven in the afterlife. Like what was I suppose to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity