Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you give up heaven to save those in hell?
I volunteer to give up heaven if all are saved from hell. 9 36.00%
Sure. 0 0%
Nope, not me. 6 24.00%
God would never allow this. 10 40.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 03:54 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Universalists don't go to church? Is that what you are saying?
You can't really stereotype universalists that way anymore than you can christians in general. It's a personal choice.

But think of it this way, if you didn't believe that hell was fair or just. You didn't believe God would throw his creation aside like garbage to writhe in pain for eternity... could you (knowing what you do about your church and other experiences) go to a regular church with those beliefs and convictions? Some do. Some overlook that for the other teachings and fellowship.

My conviction that this doctrine of hell puts up a wall between yourself and others (those going to heaven like you and those going to hell) and a separation between God and yourself as you define for yourself what would lead a person to hell... essentially claiming you know what God would judge that person's heart.

I was at a family member's funeral once and the quite religious family had a pastor conducting the very informal service at my uncle's (the deceased family member) home. Everyone knew my uncle was not the most zealous of religious men. He believed in God but didn't talk about it much (he was a cranky sort of man). Anyway, the pastor preached a sermon on how the family had 2 in heaven now (his mother-in-law had died recently) so in order to keep a perfect record, my uncle would have wanted all of us to be right with the lord to avoid hell. Then he went on to describe hell..(remember.. this is family who weren't quite sure if he was in heaven because he didn't say much and the pastor acknowledged this). I nearly bit my lip off I felt that was so inappropriate. I think I even posted on here my experience to get some feedback.

The point is that if you are convicted that belief in Eternal Torture holds people hostage and yet you are surrounded by people who are supposed to be "free" through Christ (Romans 6:22; John 8:32), it is really hard not to share the Good News (that Jesus died for the ungodly so love God and your neighbor as yourself), for me at least.
And as a universalist, you can't share that faith, conviction, or belief because it causes arguments with those who believe in eternal torture.. in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 04:01 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Not rambling

Regardless of what I believe, I like to learn more about other people's beliefs. I was talking with my mother the other day and she's never heard of UR either. She's been a Christian for over 30 years.

If you don't go to church, where do you meet other universalists? Where do you get "fed"?
I meditate daily and meet God's love and acceptance directly. He is within us all. You only need seek Him in total sincerity and He will make His presence known to you in some way ( Imagine a Father trying to make His embryo child aware of Him while the child is still in the womb . . . then you won't have unrealistic expectations about long conversations and such). Hebrews 8:11 (New International Version)

11No longer will a man teach his neighbor, or a man his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Not rambling

Regardless of what I believe, I like to learn more about other people's beliefs. I was talking with my mother the other day and she's never heard of UR either. She's been a Christian for over 30 years.

If you don't go to church, where do you meet other universalists? Where do you get "fed"?
Well... that is a good question. I can only speak for myself but I believe that every interaction with another human being is being "fed." I don't necessarily need a set day to honor God or a building because I make it my goal to do that every moment of every day. To me, being a universalist means that you are putting your full faith in God that he will save all and it also makes you appreciate and love someone for who they are, not for the absence or presence of sin in their lives (or doctrine they believe in).

IMO

I do come on city-data though to discuss issues and have found that to be edifying.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:23 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Not rambling

Where do you get "fed"?
The same place as John the Baptist ,in the wilderness .

Yea, they spake against God; they said, Can God furnish a table in the wilderness?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:08 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
You can't really stereotype universalists that way anymore than you can christians in general. It's a personal choice.

But think of it this way, if you didn't believe that hell was fair or just. You didn't believe God would throw his creation aside like garbage to writhe in pain for eternity... could you (knowing what you do about your church and other experiences) go to a regular church with those beliefs and convictions? Some do. Some overlook that for the other teachings and fellowship.

My conviction that this doctrine of hell puts up a wall between yourself and others (those going to heaven like you and those going to hell) and a separation between God and yourself as you define for yourself what would lead a person to hell... essentially claiming you know what God would judge that person's heart.

I was at a family member's funeral once and the quite religious family had a pastor conducting the very informal service at my uncle's (the deceased family member) home. Everyone knew my uncle was not the most zealous of religious men. He believed in God but didn't talk about it much (he was a cranky sort of man). Anyway, the pastor preached a sermon on how the family had 2 in heaven now (his mother-in-law had died recently) so in order to keep a perfect record, my uncle would have wanted all of us to be right with the lord to avoid hell. Then he went on to describe hell..(remember.. this is family who weren't quite sure if he was in heaven because he didn't say much and the pastor acknowledged this). I nearly bit my lip off I felt that was so inappropriate. I think I even posted on here my experience to get some feedback.

The point is that if you are convicted that belief in Eternal Torture holds people hostage and yet you are surrounded by people who are supposed to be "free" through Christ (Romans 6:22; John 8:32), it is really hard not to share the Good News (that Jesus died for the ungodly so love God and your neighbor as yourself), for me at least.
And as a universalist, you can't share that faith, conviction, or belief because it causes arguments with those who believe in eternal torture.. in general.
I can understand that which is why I am surprised to find out that you don't have your own church because of this difference.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:10 PM

Since you don't attend church, do you tithe? If so, where? I hope I'm not being too blunt, if I am please let me know.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
I can understand that which is why I am surprised to find out that you don't have your own church because of this difference.
As a universalist, I believe my time is better spent with a local widow providing company and support, or some other such charitable act rather than showing up at church to discuss what my new car looks like in a building that cost more than my yearly earnings. But that's just me. I doubt there will ever be a strictly universalism church. If we want to we can always "infiltrate" normal churches or we can use our time wisely by devoting it to serving others or spending quality time with people around you building relationships in your community or just spending a quiet night in meditation/prayer is great too!

I don't think you need a building and a pastor to reach God.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
As a universalist, I believe my time is better spent with a local widow providing company and support, or some other such charitable act rather than showing up at church to discuss what my new car looks like in a building that cost more than my yearly earnings. But that's just me. I doubt there will ever be a strictly universalism church. If we want to we can always "infiltrate" normal churches or we can use our time wisely by devoting it to serving others or spending quality time with people around you building relationships in your community or just spending a quiet night in meditation/prayer is great too!

I don't think you need a building and a pastor to reach God.
Church is so important and the fact that you think it's about talking about cars is sad.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Since you don't attend church, do you tithe? If so, where? I hope I'm not being too blunt, if I am please let me know.
Luke 18:11-14 The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.' "But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.' "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

What does tithing have to do with anything. First I don't see it as doing anything other than supporting the church staff just like any other business fee. Second, if I don't attend church but spend my time and money helping others then my tithe is from the heart not the pocketbook.

God desires love not sacrifice. Hosea 6:6 For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

1 Chronicles 16:34 O give thanks to the LORD, for He is good; For His lovingkindness is everlasting.

Psalm 100:5 For the LORD is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting And His faithfulness to all generations. (see also Psalm 106, 107, 118)

Old 03-12-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Church is so important and the fact that you think it's about talking about cars is sad.
It was simply an analogy not reality, although fellowship inherently means to talk with one another, I was alluding to the fact that idle conversation such as this does happen and not everyone can afford to have new cars etc.. but you don't see those people in church... If every sunday/saturday everyone who usually went to church went out an helped a family, neighbor, etc. then the law of God would be fulfilled and everyone would be happy. Don't you think? Love your neighbor as yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity