Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you give up heaven to save those in hell?
I volunteer to give up heaven if all are saved from hell. 9 36.00%
Sure. 0 0%
Nope, not me. 6 24.00%
God would never allow this. 10 40.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 08:11 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What is the purpose of Hell and the eternal torment? What does it accomplish?

The purpose is for Satan and his demon horde, not man. It seperates the sin from the righteous. The focus seems to be on eternal torment yet it is actually eternal seperation from God and being seperated form God brings alot of torment. Being seperated from God and left to the attention of Satan and his demons with no hope is not a punishment but the answer to the choice many make. If you chose to reject God you will be blessed with Gods rejection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 09:19 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,404,966 times
Its easy in America, to set at a computer and think one is so noble, so loving, so sacrificial, so good, that one would abandon ones self for the whole. Let us say there is a hell, something like Dante's inferno. Look into it, get to know it as literature. Then at night when you lay in bed, all alone-think about going there for all the others-try to impress upon yourself-to the extreme, what this place is. Hit your thumb with a hammer to blacken it, now imagine that on hyper drive, the throbbing-would you live with that for ever, and more, to let all the weasels you know not have it? People will sell you out here for a buck, steal you garden hose, rat you out to the boss, watch as your stuff is stolen, etc, etc, etc. And then one wants others to think one would sacrifice oneself for all the rest? You are in a delusion and you would run from it faster than the rest. One could prepare for this nobility now, give all you have to the poor, work hard and continually give it all away until all have enough, give up health insurance and medical care until all have it-the world over, sleep under a bridge, until everyone has a home, give up one's security until all are secure, give up the computer until all have one, etc, etc, etc. Everything is easy in the abstract, get rid of hell, make god in your image, and then announce that the act was successful, god is like me, an abstraction.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 AM

7,374 posts, read 8,757,439 times
The truth is that if hell is real than Christian Universalists are risking their own souls in teaching what we do in order to remove the fear and torment of hell from people who suffer in this world because of the doctrine of ET. So, any true Universalist is braving the threat already by their own volition. And not only separation from God in hell after life, but anathema and curses from the organized Christian community as an whole in this life. I know men who have lost everything they have worked for in their ministries because of their vocalizing and teaching their hope and faith in the doctrine of UR. Brave and enduring men and women indeed.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
It just boggles my mind that some people can teach that people would burn in hell... what did Christ die for in their minds?

I would take their place... even just one.

What if the question God asks you at the judgment is: Will you give up your stay in heaven to free everyone in hell?

What would you say? Could you truly and from your heart say you would?

Would you burn all alone happily knowing everyone BUT you is in heaven with God?

I would. Without a thought... in fact I volunteer.
I cant so the poll is irrelevant.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:27 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I cant so the poll is irrelevant.
You can't what?

Old 03-12-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
You can't what?
It is not within my power to make such a decision therefor making the original question irrelivant.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:57 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times
No human power can usurp the judicial elements of God.
By welcoming Hell and punishment, you welcome the evil in your heart.
An evil, that Christ defeated for those that put their faith in Him.

Again, the Most holy Place is tread upon by secular and humanistic philosophy.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:55 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
I cannot answer this question in truth

One thing i do know is that God has destroyed him who held the power of death ,so death as we know it never needs to be feared . Praise God

14Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil— 15and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by their fear of death.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:05 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
It is not within my power to make such a decision therefor making the original question irrelivant.
But it IS within your power to ASSUME there is a place where A BIG MEAN guy tortures people cuz he's evil and A BIG NICE guy who loves people but not those destined for the BIG MEAN guy?? You can assume that the writers of the OT and NT really meant for hades, sheol, Gehenna, The Lake of Fire, to be a burning pit without THE BIG NICE guy, and instead tortured by FIRE and THE BIG MEAN guy?

But you can't assume it is within your power to make such a decision? Your hands are as tied up as THE BIG NICE guy it seems.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:07 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I don't think I could. I'm surprised 50% of everyone said they would. I guess some people really are Jesus warriors. Reminiscent of him and how he died for all of our sins here on Earth. I'm a warrior but I don't think I could fight for people who couldn't care less. They disrespect him and demean him time and time again. And I'm still conflicted on why I should ever give up an eternity of happiness and fufillment in Heaven to evil people on Earth?
Don't feel bad. I wouldn't either which I why I am so in awe of Jesus for doing that for me, a sinner!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity