Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:47 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,111,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I have given hell a lot of thought...many, many, many years. My family is Mormon, Jewish and a few who believe nothing. I understand that they are going to hell if they don't repent. I pray for them ALL THE TIME. When I am with my family, I show them how Christ has changed me, but they don't want it. I CANNOT force them to believe in something. I am not in misery because I am doing what Christ asks me to do (witness and pray), but they need to do their part- repent. I am not going to stop enjoying life because people will be in hell. It's up to them and I can't make them want a Savior. I know Christ wouldn't want me to live my life in misery and I don't.
I hope you'll give hell a lot of prayer, too. God can take it if you ask Him tough questions. I'm pretty sure if you found out your daddy were torturing people with no plans to ever stop, that you'd talk to him about it.....maybe not....or maybe run the other way as fast as you could and hope to never see him again. I doubt you'd ignore it, though, and still visit him and love him like always and enjoy life knowing what he was doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 01:47 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,115 times
Repentance is the changing of the mind.
One must first have hope in something better than what is understood to enable the changing of the mind from the former way of thinking to the new.

Therefore, if we are to give instructions, let us give instructions that lead to hope, love and compassion, rather than the alternatives, which are bountiful to the dis-swaying of a change.

Blessings, AJ

Old 03-12-2010, 01:49 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
By the way, no police would arrive because she is only posting on this forum. You have no way to save the baby except to say something to the mother to help change her mind.
They can trace your IP 30 seconds. Are you kidding me?

Hey I know, you could tell her the good news from the Bible, that Christ saves everyone who believes in him. Problem solved.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:53 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,125,535 times
Finn, just curious, what do you think happens to babies that die? Hell by default, or saved by the age of accountability? Or something else?

Old 03-12-2010, 01:57 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure if you found out your daddy were torturing people with no plans to ever stop, that you'd talk to him about it.....maybe not....or maybe run the other way as fast as you could and hope to never see him again. I doubt you'd ignore it, though, and still visit him and love him like always and enjoy life knowing what he was doing.
If your daddy is torturing people in the basement, the way out it is to convert to universalism, and pretend it is not happening.

Benefits:

- You will be saved no matter what
- You can pretend that daddy is not torturing people in the basement
- Daddy will be saved
- Daddy's victims will be saved
- You won't have to do a thing because everyone is auto-saved
- You can afford sinful naughtiness to brighen up your life (remember - no hell)

Old 03-12-2010, 02:41 PM

5,925 posts, read 6,943,763 times
I see that the real issue is often avoided with this. It is irrelevant to the OP whether universalism is true or not or whether some post mocking it is right or false.

The issue is if a baby dies and is automatically in heaven or not and if there is an age at some point or an awareness of some sort that can be determined as to when someone must make a choice to accept Christ and not go to eternal hell.

This also has to do with the idea of a personal sacrifice to forego your own salvation in order to ensure someone elses. Would God then honor that personal sacrifice or not. So far some wish to make this about some kind of issue of proof of what people say and that universalism is not true.

Even if the woman who drowned her children is now burning in hell forever, that still leaves the question to be answered by those who believe in eternal hell, are her kids in eternal hell or did she indeed ensure their salvation.

These are straight forward questions as far as I am concerned and if the belief system actually has any merit the questions can be answered.

Don't worry Finn, if it comes down to it I will prove my prior claim, but that still leaves the question to you from your own comments.

If universalism is true, then Jesus and everything he did is still relevant to you, correct?

Old 03-12-2010, 03:08 PM

310 posts, read 589,187 times
Quote:
Interesting that you said it would be ok to tell her a lie (to you AKA UR), to keep the baby alive because you realize you don't have an answer to give her hope - no scriptures or words of comfort to explain to her that it makes more sense to take her chances on her son's fate than to assure he won't burn forever.

By the way, no police would arrive because she is only posting on this forum. You have no way to save the baby except to say something to the mother to help change her mind.
Uh...you are NOT anonymous on the Internet. She could easily be tracked down.

Also, by her insane reasoning, she must also be in favor of abortions for every woman who gets pregnant. After all it's the only way to be sure your kid goes to heaven, right? Kill 'em before they have a chance
to sin.

Old 03-12-2010, 03:27 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,223,893 times
Quote:
I hope you'll give hell a lot of prayer, too. God can take it if you ask Him tough questions. I'm pretty sure if you found out your daddy were torturing people with no plans to ever stop, that you'd talk to him about it.....maybe not....or maybe run the other way as fast as you could and hope to never see him again. I doubt you'd ignore it, though, and still visit him and love him like always and enjoy life knowing what he was doing.
?????

Old 03-12-2010, 04:14 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
I see that the real issue is often avoided with this. It is irrelevant to the OP whether universalism is true or not or whether some post mocking it is right or false.

The issue is if a baby dies and is automatically in heaven or not and if there is an age at some point or an awareness of some sort that can be determined as to when someone must make a choice to accept Christ and not go to eternal hell.

This also has to do with the idea of a personal sacrifice to forego your own salvation in order to ensure someone elses. Would God then honor that personal sacrifice or not. So far some wish to make this about some kind of issue of proof of what people say and that universalism is not true.

Even if the woman who drowned her children is now burning in hell forever, that still leaves the question to be answered by those who believe in eternal hell, are her kids in eternal hell or did she indeed ensure their salvation.

These are straight forward questions as far as I am concerned and if the belief system actually has any merit the questions can be answered.
Some religions believe the age of accountability is 40 years old.... so the problem is if there is not set definition can the mother trust that?

You are completely right that any way you look at the doctrine of hell there is uncertainty.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
Uh...you are NOT anonymous on the Internet. She could easily be tracked down.

Also, by her insane reasoning, she must also be in favor of abortions for every woman who gets pregnant. After all it's the only way to be sure your kid goes to heaven, right? Kill 'em before they have a chance
to sin.
Exactly... so shouldn't Christians be supporting Abortion Rights? If they really believed that children were better off dead (and thus in heaven rather than hell) they would support killing them off. But they don't... which leads me to believe they really truly don't believe in either the age of accountability, or hell itself, or just don't care.

My mother is a staunch believer in the christian hell. I remember when I was 16 and I told her that I was pregnant. We were driving and I still remember the very road on which we drove. My mother said, God, if she is always going to be a sinner strike her down right now.... I remember thinking that it would really happen. I remember seriously believing that God might as well strike me down right then so I wouldn't have to go to hell because I was so evil.

The belief that God or Jesus throws the ungodly in hell causes an unusual mental block in loving others... wouldn't you agree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity