U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:59 AM

5,702 posts, read 4,540,345 times

Advertisements

Great post, SisterKat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 AM

8,435 posts, read 8,330,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Absolutely nothing! Great observation.....
Are you trolling, or do you have something to contribute? I feel some animosity... it is true that you are the one who posted this phrase (are you/we paying attention) and sparked my interest in the use of cultural slang in the bible but it has nothing to do with you personally. So if you have something to say I would love to hear it, however from my perspective it seems you are trying to disrupt and not aid the discussion.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:54 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,669,639 times
So we should throw out the entire Bible because who knows if it was translated correctly due to 'slang' terms? Either believe in it or don't. You can't quote scripture and then say that another verse isn't translated correctly (eternal). How do you know that the scripture you just quoted was translated correctly? It all seems hypocritical. Believe in ALL of the Word of God or don't!

Last edited by CantWait2Leave; 03-17-2010 at 01:04 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 01:04 PM

4,213 posts, read 4,876,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Just an observation: Things are confusing. Witness the 1000 different denominations of Christianity we have. That sure is confusing to many people. God is not the author of confusion, but I think God intends things to be confusing, at least for a time.

Look at this:
Gen 11:9 That is why it was called Babel óbecause there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

Now I 100% agree and support that God is not the author of confusion. Yet we see here God purposely confused the languages of the whole world. Why? Because: He is concealing truth, so it can be revealed later. When all is revealed, there will be no confusion. That is why we have all these confusing languages/translations/slang now. Think about this:

Prov 15:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

God is teaching us something here by concealing things.
Makes sense.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:23 PM

823 posts, read 1,073,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
So we should throw out the entire Bible because who knows if it was translated correctly due to 'slang' terms? Either believe in it or don't. You can't quote scripture and then say that another verse isn't translated correctly (eternal). How do you know that the scripture you just quoted was translated correctly? It all seems hypocritical. Believe in ALL of the Word of God or don't!
Sometimes we can't find the truth until we step outside of our original beliefs. Educated Christians have the right to question their religion and the Bible.

If something doesn't make sense, shouldn't we try to make sense out of it?

It's our responsibility to question the answers that have been passed down. Always... We must pay attention!

Old 03-17-2010, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post

I was trying to point out that there is NO definition of "pay" that fits its usage in the phrase "pay attention"...

You can look over the definitions here: Pay | Define Pay at Dictionary.com

Therefore we are using the phrase to convey a meaning that is not in line with common usage of the word. It then may be true that by taking two words separately we may be missing the meaning of the words together as a phrase used beyond the common usage of any one of the individual words due to cultural communication style deemed as "slang" for the purpose of this discussion.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,424,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Are you trolling, or do you have something to contribute? I feel some animosity... it is true that you are the one who posted this phrase (are you/we paying attention) and sparked my interest in the use of cultural slang in the bible but it has nothing to do with you personally. So if you have something to say I would love to hear it, however from my perspective it seems you are trying to disrupt and not aid the discussion.

You feel animosity? Why? From your perspective it seems that I am trying to disrupt? Maybe if we were on the same page (any one in the Bible.....) you'll see the that main objective is to bring people to Christ. You feel animosity? Why? No, don't answer that katjonjj, just let your conscience be your guide, amen? Carry on....I'm definitely PAYING ATTENTION!!.........................FINAL ANSWER!!

PS: I have a couple of questions though if I may?

1. What culture or cultures are you referring to that quotes the "Are we/you paying attention?" slang?

2. Can you show where in the Bible the quote " Are we/you paying attention" is ? Would love to see it..........

Thanks., Betsey

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 03-17-2010 at 05:03 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
You feel animosity? Why? From your perspective it seems that I am trying to disrupt? Maybe if we were on the same page (any one in the Bible.....) you'll see the that main objective is to bring people to Christ. You feel animosity? Why? No, don't answer that katjonjj, just let your conscience be your guide, amen? Carry on....I'm definitely PAYING ATTENTION!!.........................FINAL ANSWER!!

PS: I have a couple of questions though if I may?

1. What culture or cultures are you referring to that quotes the "Are we/you paying attention?" slang?

2. Can you show where in the Bible the quote " Are we/you paying attention" is ? Would love to see it..........

Thanks., Betsey
You don't seem to understand the point of the thread. When you or I ask "Are you paying attention?" it is slang because there is no definition for this use of "paying." How do you "pay" attention? With money? IOU's? It is not possible to pay attention therefore it is a slang phrase meaning to continue to focus on what is going on.

If there are slang phrases in the bible such as this then we may or may not have a true understanding of the scripture's meaning.

Old 03-17-2010, 05:39 PM

4,309 posts, read 5,424,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
You don't seem to understand the point of the thread. When you or I ask "Are you paying attention?" it is slang because there is no definition for this use of "paying." How do you "pay" attention? With money? IOU's? It is not possible to pay attention therefore it is a slang phrase meaning to continue to focus on what is going on.

If there are slang phrases in the bible such as this then we may or may not have a true understanding of the scripture's meaning.
I don't seem to understand YOUR thread! And please don't speak for me! For when I ask, as I've been known to: Are we paying attention...it is merely to grasp the attention of the general population, that's it, that's all. It has nothing to do with "slang". Now if you're into "slang"......that's you.

Katjonjj, you know EXACTLY what you doing, it's quite obvious, but please I ask you......don't take the people for a fool, you can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool ALL of the people, ALL of the time, amen? Again...........carry on!

PS: You have greatly inspired me for my next thread, thank you!

Betsey

Old 03-17-2010, 06:23 PM

8,830 posts, read 9,692,887 times
I see absolutely no worth or purpose of this thread....it's a flamer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity