U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2010, 08:35 PM
 
5,741 posts, read 4,591,177 times
Reputation: 4162

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Prov 15:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.

God is teaching us something here by concealing things.

YES!
God conceals and He reveals.
All in His own time.
For HIS purpose.
We are in good hands.
Some see more than others.
But again... it is ALL for God's purpose.
No-one is better than another.
He conceals and reveals to Who HE chooses for a reason.
We are ALL brothers and sisters.
He is working through ALL people, through ALL of creation.
We are all PART of this.
ALL of us!
This is the glorious truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2010, 09:40 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,399,716 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I don't seem to understand YOUR thread! And please don't speak for me! For when I ask, as I've been known to: Are we paying attention...it is merely to grasp the attention of the general population, that's it, that's all. It has nothing to do with "slang". Now if you're into "slang"......that's you.

Katjonjj, you know EXACTLY what you doing, it's quite obvious, but please I ask you......don't take the people for a fool, you can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool ALL of the people, ALL of the time, amen? Again...........carry on!


PS: You have greatly inspired me for my next thread, thank you!



Betsey


OHHHHH I get it.. you think I am making fun of you or something... I thought so.

Not even close. It is a common phrase. I use it all the time. Now---Pay Attention, I don't know why you think it is your right to tell me what this thread is about but I have every intention of discussing the verbiage of the OT and NT regarding the use of phrases we may take literally when they are similar to "pay attention."

I didn't even give an example from the bible because the point of the thread was to discuss the POSSIBILITY of this type of usage of words that don't really fit the definition of the word...

For example, "the elbow" or "αγκωνή, η " when referring to bread was a small piece of bread loaf from the edge. See Γλωσσάρι - Α or the Google translation (not bad IMO) here: Google Translate

We call that "the crust" where I live...

This is the phenomenon the thread is about. Nothing more. Nothing less...

All other things (such as your posts) are off topic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2010, 09:46 PM
 
3,581 posts, read 458,427 times
Reputation: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
Sometimes we can't find the truth until we step outside of our original beliefs. Educated Christians have the right to question their religion and the Bible.

If something doesn't make sense, shouldn't we try to make sense out of it?

It's our responsibility to question the answers that have been passed down. Always... We must pay attention!
I agree!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,457,547 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post


OHHHHH I get it.. you think I am making fun of you or something... I thought so.

Not even close. It is a common phrase. I use it all the time. Now---Pay Attention, I don't know why you think it is your right to tell me what this thread is about but I have every intention of discussing the verbiage of the OT and NT regarding the use of phrases we may take literally when they are similar to "pay attention."

I didn't even give an example from the bible because the point of the thread was to discuss the POSSIBILITY of this type of usage of words that don't really fit the definition of the word...

For example, "the elbow" or "αγκωνή, η " when referring to bread was a small piece of bread loaf from the edge. See Γλωσσάρι - Α or the Google translation (not bad IMO) here: Google Translate

We call that "the crust" where I live...

This is the phenomenon the thread is about. Nothing more. Nothing less...

All other things (such as your posts) are off topic.


"I didn't even give an example from the bible because the point of the thread was to discuss the POSSIBILITY of this type of usage of words that don't really fit the definition of the word... "

Thanks for clarifying your intentions........... Word of advice: It would be best to use the BIBLE as much as possible. It would certainly lessen a lot of unnecessary confusion, amen? Okay...CARRY ON!

Question if I may.......go ahead you say? Thanks. Here goes: Do you believe the Bible? Do you believe that Christ died for you too? Just wondering.....it is relevant and would clarify a lot of things.

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 03-18-2010 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,399,716 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
"I didn't even give an example from the bible because the point of the thread was to discuss the POSSIBILITY of this type of usage of words that don't really fit the definition of the word... "

Thanks for clarifying your intentions........... Word of advice: It would be best to use the BIBLE as much as possible. It would certainly lessen a lot of unnecessary confusion, amen? Okay...CARRY ON!
How would a bible verse have made your confusion less? The fact is the thread is theoretical. IF they used slang we certainly wouldn't know because we are not of that culture... I don't think linguistics was their focus....just mine for this thread. Is it a possibility that the same cultural differences in common usage of speech between languages existed then as it does now? That is the question.

Quote:
Question if I may.......go ahead you say? Thanks. Here goes: Do you believe the Bible? Do you believe that Christ died for you too? Just wondering.....it is relevant and would clarify a lot of things.
I don't see the relevance... And you are welcome to read any of my other posts to gather that information outside of the thread... but thanks for asking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,457,547 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
How would a bible verse have made your confusion less? The fact is the thread is theoretical. IF they used slang we certainly wouldn't know because we are not of that culture... I don't think linguistics was their focus....just mine for this thread. Is it a possibility that the same cultural differences in common usage of speech between languages existed then as it does now? That is the question.



I don't see the relevance... And you are welcome to read any of my other posts to gather that information outside of the thread... but thanks for asking.

How would the Bible have made YOUR confusion any less you ask? Because WE "Believer's/Christians this side of the forum, believe it is the INSPIRED WORDS OF GOD, that's all.......


AGAIN........... I ask you, what cultures (name three, at least two) that recognizes the phrase "ARE WE PAYING ATTENTION" as 'slang"?


SLANG:
1. very informal usage in vocabulary and idiom that is characteristically more metaphorical, playful, elliptical, vivid, and ephemeral than ordinary language, as Hit the road.


2. (in English and some other languages) speech and writing characterized by the use of vulgar and socially taboo vocabulary and idiomatic expressions.

3. the jargon of a particular class, profession, etc.

4. the special vocabulary of thieves, vagabonds, etc.; argot.
–verb (used without object)

5. to use slang or abusive language.
–verb (used with object)

6. to assail with abusive language.


Just as a reference, in which context were YOU referring to? You said you can't find it in the Bible, perhaps you may be able to relate to one of these? 1., 2., 3., 4., 5., or 6.? Which one? Trying to understand......



Betsey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 08:05 PM
 
37,596 posts, read 25,294,156 times
Reputation: 5860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
How would the Bible have made YOUR confusion any less you ask? Because WE "Believer's/Christians this side of the forum, believe it is the INSPIRED WORDS OF GOD, that's all.......


AGAIN........... I ask you, what cultures (name three, at least two) that recognizes the phrase "ARE WE PAYING ATTENTION" as 'slang"?


SLANG:
1. very informal usage in vocabulary and idiom that is characteristically more metaphorical, playful, elliptical, vivid, and ephemeral than ordinary language, as Hit the road.


2. (in English and some other languages) speech and writing characterized by the use of vulgar and socially taboo vocabulary and idiomatic expressions.

3. the jargon of a particular class, profession, etc.

4. the special vocabulary of thieves, vagabonds, etc.; argot.
–verb (used without object)

5. to use slang or abusive language.
–verb (used with object)

6. to assail with abusive language.


Just as a reference, in which context were YOU referring to? You said you can't find it in the Bible, perhaps you may be able to relate to one of these? 1., 2., 3., 4., 5., or 6.? Which one? Trying to understand......
Betsey
Definition #1. She is asking the literal readers of the bible if they are ABSOLUTELY SURE that there were NOT similar "Slang" expressions in those ancient cultures that should NOT be read literally . . . but which are being read literally today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 08:18 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,457,547 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Definition #1. She is asking the literal readers of the bible if they are ABSOLUTELY SURE that there were NOT similar "Slang" expressions in those ancient cultures that should NOT be read literally . . . but which are being read literally today.

No she's not, she SAID: "This is the conundrum I see when people interpret the bible. Phrases that make no sense (slang usually) are treated as literal..."


CONUNDRUM:

–noun

1. A riddle, the answer to which involves a pun or play on words, as What is black and white and read all over? A newspaper.

2. anything that puzzles.




Again.....What does phrases such as: "Are we paying attention has to do with "SLANG"?

Thanks MysticPhD, but I'll wait on katjonjj....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,399,716 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Definition #1. She is asking the literal readers of the bible if they are ABSOLUTELY SURE that there were NOT similar "Slang" expressions in those ancient cultures that should NOT be read literally . . . but which are being read literally today.
Thank goodness someone understands... I was beginning to think I was crazy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,457,547 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Thank goodness someone understands... I was beginning to think I was crazy

You're not, crazy katjonjj, goodnight, Jesus loves you, okay? Praying for all....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top