Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 06:54 PM

11,713 posts, read 3,589,442 times

Advertisements

What I believe is that the bible is inspired by God however it
does have mans fingerprints on it

"Thus says YAHWEH of hosts, the God of Israel, "Add your burnt offerings to your sacrifices and eat flesh. For I did not speak to your fathers, or command them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings and sacrifices.But this is what I commanded them, saying, ‘Obey My voice, and I will be your God, and you will be My people; and you will walk in all the way which I command you, that it may be well with you.’ Yet they did not obey or incline their ear, but walked in their own counsels and in the stubbornness of their evil heart, and went backward and not forward." (Jeremiah Chapter 7 verse 21)

"This is the law of the burnt offering, the grain offering and the sin offering and the guilt offering and the ordination offering and the sacrifice of peace offerings,which YAHWEH commanded Moses at Mount Sinai in the day that He commanded the sons of Israel to present their offerings to YAHWEH in the wilderness of Sinai." Leviticus Chapter 7 verse 37

"What to me is the multitude of your sacrifices? says YAHWEH; I have had enough of burnt offerings of rams and the fat of fed beasts; I do not delight in the blood of bulls, or of lambs, or of goats. When you come to appear before me, who asked this from your hand? Trample my courts no more; bringing offerings is futile; incense is an abomination to me. New moon and Sabbath and calling of convocation— I cannot endure solemn assemblies with iniquity. Your new moons and your appointed festivals my soul hates; they have become a burden to me, I am weary of bearing them." (Isaiah Chapter 1 verse 11)

Jer 8:7 Also the stork in the heavens knows her seasons, and the turtledove and the swallow and the thrush observe the time of their coming. But My people do not know the judgment of Jehovah.
Jer 8:8 How do you say, We are wise, and the Law of Jehovah is with us? Behold, the lying pen of the scribes has certainly worked deceit.

This is why Jesus did not condone stoning of the adulteress, he was not changing the law he was saying that it was not part of Gods law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 07:25 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,578,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Believe in the Bible or don't. You can't pick and choose which parts are correct and which parts aren't from God. John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." 2 Timothy 3:16 "All scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness"
But the word of God is not the Bible, the word of God is Jesus made flesh.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:28 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,288,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
But the word of God is not the Bible
Guess you don't believe 2 Timothy 3:16

Old 03-17-2010, 08:08 PM

134 posts, read 122,220 times
The Bible is a sure guide to eternal life.

The prophets and apostles did not speak from themselves but delivered what was received from God.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,434,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Guess you don't believe 2 Timothy 3:16
INLC,
And under the name of Christian

Old 03-17-2010, 10:24 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,978,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
But believers did recieve the same benefit prior to Jesus:

Ezra 9:13
"What has happened to us is a result of our evil deeds and our great guilt, and yet, our God, you have punished us less than our sins have deserved and have given us a remnant like this."

Psalm 103:10
"he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities."

An unbeliever today will have the same OT God to be accountable to just as those prior to Jesus... all unbelievers today are condemned already, their day will come to give an account [either upon death or at the Final Day ]

The wrath will come for all of those who reject God, unfortunatly their day will come.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

Romans 2:5
But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.

Ephesians 5:6
Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient.

Revelation 14:10
he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb.
Here's the problem. What about those outside Israel; a VERY long list of other peoples who knew nothing of Israel's god? Those Old Testament verses you provided concerns the Israelites NOT the world's population at the time.

Last edited by InsaneInDaMembrane; 03-17-2010 at 10:40 PM..

Old 03-17-2010, 10:37 PM

11,713 posts, read 3,589,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Here's the problem. What about those outside Israel; a VERY long list of other peoples who knew nothing of Israel's god?
Yep - thats where I know it is not justice to torment forever those that do not believe in Christ because there are so many that have never heard of him.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:29 AM

10 posts, read 15,367 times
Your question is a good one. I encourage you to explore the Bible further relating to how God interacts with His people before and after Jesus. Pay particular attention to prophesy in the Old Testament, leading up to the Messiah. And while you are investigating what God is doing through these people, and how they respond. History, or (His Story), should become more clear. If your anything like me, you will step back and look at things from a great distance and realize that the possibilities for mankind to create such a story are impossible. After a thousand questions, plus a hundred, I'm continually finding everything in the Bible to be scientifically sound, (with some exceptions verifying miracles). I'm sure we could all agree that the Bible is morally superior in it's teaching and intellectually makes perfect sense as well. I like to ask, who, what, where, when, why, and how, as I read it. But the greatest understanding comes from prayer. Taking that little step of faith and asking God to show me. I hope you continue to pursue these questions, I believe they will be best answered by God as your relationship with Him grows. Faith becomes superior of all human acts for each one of us.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:11 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,661,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
But believers did recieve the same benefit prior to Jesus:

Ezra 9:13
"What has happened to us is a result of our evil deeds and our great guilt, and yet, our God, you have punished us less than our sins have deserved and have given us a remnant like this."

Psalm 103:10
"he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities."

An unbeliever today will have the same OT God to be accountable to just as those prior to Jesus... all unbelievers today are condemned already, their day will come to give an account [either upon death or at the Final Day ]

The wrath will come for all of those who reject God, unfortunatly their day will come.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

Romans 2:5
But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of God's wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.

Ephesians 5:6
Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient.

Revelation 14:10
he, too, will drink of the wine of God's fury, which has been poured full strength into the cup of his wrath. He will be tormented with burning sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and of the Lamb.
Amen.... twin.spin !!

Quote:
Yep - thats where I know it is not justice to torment forever those that do not believe in Christ because there are so many that have never heard of him.

Ah, yet they did and have and do to this very day.... for the Scripture bears the truth that all peoples past and present have and will hear !!

Isaiah 40:5
5. Then the glory of the LORD will be revealed,
And all flesh will see it together;
For the mouth of the LORD has spoken."

Isaiah 6:3
3. And one called out to another and said,
"Holy, Holy, Holy, is the LORD of hosts,
The whole earth is full of His glory."

Hab.2:14
14. "For the earth will be filled
With the knowledge of the glory of the LORD,
As the waters cover the sea.

Isaish 52:10
10. The LORD has bared His holy arm
In the sight of all the nations,
That all the ends of the earth may see
The salvation of our God.

Joel 2:28
28. "It will come about after this
That I will pour out My Spirit on all mankind;
And your sons and daughters will prophesy,
Your old men will dream dreams,
Your young men will see visions.

Psalm 3:1-3
1. O sing to the LORD a new song,
For He has done wonderful things,
His right hand and His holy arm have gained the victory for Him.
2. The LORD has made known His salvation;
He has revealed His righteousness in the sight of the nations.
3. He has remembered His lovingkindness and His faithfulness to the house of Israel;
All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.

Isaiah 66:19
19. "I will set a sign among them and will send survivors from them to the nations: Tarshish, Put, Lud, Meshech, Tubal and Javan, to the distant coastlands that have neither heard My fame nor seen My glory And they will declare My glory among the nations.

Isaiah 45:22
22. "Turn to Me and be saved, all the ends of the earth;
For I am God, and there is no other.

Isaiah 48:20
20. Go forth from Babylon! Flee from the Chaldeans!
Declare with the sound of joyful shouting, proclaim this,
Send it out to the end of the earth;
Say, "The LORD has redeemed His servant Jacob."

Isaiah 62:11
11. Behold, the LORD has proclaimed to the end of the earth,
Say to the daughter of Zion, "Lo, your salvation comes;
Behold His reward is with Him, and His recompense before Him."

Acts 2:17-21
17. 'AND IT SHALL BE IN THE LAST DAYS,' God says,
'THAT I WILL POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT ON ALL MANKIND;
AND YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY,
AND YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS,
AND YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS;
18. EVEN ON MY BONDSLAVES, BOTH MEN AND WOMEN,
I WILL IN THOSE DAYS POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT
And they shall prophesy.
19. 'AND I WILL GRANT WONDERS IN THE SKY ABOVE
AND SIGNS ON THE EARTH BELOW,
BLOOD, AND FIRE, AND VAPOR OF SMOKE.
20. 'THE SUN WILL BE TURNED INTO DARKNESS
AND THE MOON INTO BLOOD,
BEFORE THE GREAT AND GLORIOUS DAY OF THE LORD SHALL COME.
21.'AND IT SHALL BE THAT EVERYONE WHO CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.'

1 Peter 3:18-20
18. For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;
19. in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison,
20. who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:53 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,434,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Here's the problem. What about those outside Israel; a VERY long list of other peoples who knew nothing of Israel's god? Those Old Testament verses you provided concerns the Israelites NOT the world's population at the time.
That isn't because of God (the majority of the population not believing)
There has been two times in OT history when the entire world knew and believed

Adam and Eve
Noah and his family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity