Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:06 AM

284 posts, read 319,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Heaven, in the bible, means rule, authority, government. Think about this: our English word "Heave" means "to raise up" or "to lift". We say someone "ascends" to power. The rulership of God in our hearts is the rule of God on earth.
This is really interesting, and represents exactly the kind of thinking that people should do if they are to appreciate the full meaning of the gospel. Jesus and early Christian leaders used parable and symbolic language, and gospel meanings are often more profound than many people realise.
And whatever 'heaven' means in its purest sense, the claim of Matthew's gospel is that both Simon Peter and Jesus had complete authority over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 05:54 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Sherente View Post
I think there is a lot of common ground between us. I wholly agree with most of what you say.
I'm always pleased to find common ground with other denominations.

Quote:
On your remark about Jesus' absence, the gospels say that he did 'go absent' (was three days in his grave before rising to life). However, after resurrecting, he declared 'I will be with you always' (Matthew 28:20). While Simon Peter 'directed the institutional Church', Jesus was apparently still with the Church.
You're right. Remember how, just a bit earlier in Jesus' conversation with His Apostles, He asked them who they believed Him to be. Peter was the only one, or so it appears, who gave the answer Jesus was looking for, when He said, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God." Jesus then told him he was blessed, and commended him for having received this knowledge from his Father in Heaven as opposed to from men (i.e. flesh and blood). He then went on to say that "upon this rock I will build my Church." I believe the "rock" He was referring to was the rock of revelation, the power by which Peter had come to know the truth about who Jesus Christ really was. Jesus know that He would be able to continue to communicate with Peter after His ascension into Heaven because Peter was sufficiently in tune spiritually to be able to commune with the risen Savior. Jesus also told him he'd have the power to bind in Heaven those things which he bound on earth. That's extremely important in my opinion, even though most people don't give a whole lot of thought to it. He was saying that the things Peter would do in the name of Jesus Christ would have eternal significance, as opposed to merely having significance in the mortal realm.

Quote:
On your question about how much authority Simon Peter had after his death, we are not told specifically about Simon Peter's death, so cannot really tell what happened after he died. However, after Jesus' death and resurrection, Simon Peter seemed to be incredibly powerful (see the opening chapters of Acts for details).
I believe that He was the sole individual to hold the priesthood keys (i.e. the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven) on this earth.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:20 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,438,070 times
Quote:
In Matthew 16:19, Jesus appears to hand over full heavenly authority to somebody else (Simon Peter) - or does he?

Whose in charge of Heaven? The CEO of Heaven of course!.....................................Final Answer!

Old 03-22-2010, 10:45 AM

284 posts, read 319,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Whose in charge of Heaven? The CEO of Heaven of course!.....................................Final Answer!
And presumably, as Simon Peter was given the power to allow or prohibit in heaven whatever he decided, this made him its CEO ... final answer?

Old 03-22-2010, 10:51 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,833,229 times
Quote:
And presumably, as Simon Peter was given the power to allow or prohibit in heaven whatever he decided, this made him its CEO ... final answer?
Nope. God is over all, Jesus is God in the flesh, and the Holy Spirit is God within us, all still God the one and only.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:58 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,438,779 times
Quote:
In Matthew 16:19, Jesus appears to hand over full heavenly authority to somebody else (Simon Peter) - or does he?
Simon Peter was an apostle and instrumental in the early Church, But Jesus said upon this rock "thou art the Christ" is what the Church is founded on! And to thee (the believer) will he give the keys of heaven and the power to bind and loose.

Jesus did not give the kingdom to Peter alone, but to any who believes.

Jesus was using a play on words. The name Peter means "Rock", and the rock which the chrurch is founded on, is the statement made by Peter "thou are the Christ..."

Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm always pleased to find common ground with other denominations.

You're right. Remember how, just a bit earlier in Jesus' conversation with His Apostles, He asked them who they believed Him to be. Peter was the only one, or so it appears, who gave the answer Jesus was looking for, when He said, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God." Jesus then told him he was blessed, and commended him for having received this knowledge from his Father in Heaven as opposed to from men (i.e. flesh and blood). He then went on to say that "upon this rock I will build my Church." I believe the "rock" He was referring to was the rock of revelation, the power by which Peter had come to know the truth about who Jesus Christ really was. Jesus know that He would be able to continue to communicate with Peter after His ascension into Heaven because Peter was sufficiently in tune spiritually to be able to commune with the risen Savior. Jesus also told him he'd have the power to bind in Heaven those things which he bound on earth. That's extremely important in my opinion, even though most people don't give a whole lot of thought to it. He was saying that the things Peter would do in the name of Jesus Christ would have eternal significance, as opposed to merely having significance in the mortal realm.

I believe that He was the sole individual to hold the priesthood keys (i.e. the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven) on this earth.
No, I don't think so, and especially in light of the fact that in just a few verses latter Jesus says to Peter: 23: But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

So, Peter was just a regular human. And was not in tune with God as you say.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
So, Peter was just a regular human. And was not in tune with God as you say.
Regular humans can't be in tune with God? Are you saying the Old Testament prophets were not in tune with God, or are we understanding the words "in tune" differently? I was certainly not intending to imply that Peter was divine or to suggest that he was equal to Jesus Christ in any way.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Regular humans can't be in tune with God? Are you saying the Old Testament prophets were not in tune with God, or are we understanding the words "in tune" differently? I was certainly not intending to imply that Peter was divine or to suggest that he was equal to Jesus Christ in any way.
No, we regular humans cannot be in tune with God outside the help of the Holy Spirit. For Peter was shown these things by the Holy Spirit and not of man, just like the Prophets of old who spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost, so there is nothing that Peter did other then listen to the Holy Spirit, for this revelation was not born of man. But Peter in the following verses also is used by Satan and speaks for Satan, minding the things of the flesh.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
No, we regular humans cannot be in tune with God outside the help of the Holy Spirit. For Peter was shown these things by the Holy Spirit and not of man, just like the Prophets of old who spoke as they were moved by the Holy Ghost, so there is nothing that Peter did other then listen to the Holy Spirit, for this revelation was not born of man.
I agree with everything you said. It's the Holy Ghost who is the revelator, but not everyone is able to recognize as well as Peter was when the Holy Ghost reveals something to him. The Holy Ghost is the means by which God communicates to human being. That's what I mean when I say Peter was in tune with God.

Quote:
But Peter in the following verses also is used by Satan and speaks for Satan, minding the things of the flesh.
Sounds like you don't much care for Peter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity