Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 08:24 AM

23,000 posts, read 34,288,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
My church is also (Independent) Baptist and we use just a standard cross. I don't know why, exactly. I never asked. I personally only wear a plain cross. My wife (former Catholic -- now Baptist) still will wear her crucifix and we have a couple in our home.

My mother taught me that we (as Protestants) don't use a crucifix because we believe Jesus is alive at the right hand of the Father and isn't on the cross any more. She said a crucifix isn't wrong, but those who use it do so as a reminder of Jesus' suffering and sacrifice.

I'd personally like to hear if that is the reason for the crucifix or if my mom was in error.
Baptist here and this what my mother always told me too, and what our paster says also. I think the question is since He's not in the manger anymore, He's not on the cross anymore, is He in your heart?
I also agree with Ms Charlotte, I don't think it's really worth debating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 09:41 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,778,635 times
Default sincere apologies

I'd like to personally apologize to all other Catholics on this forum. It seems that my love of the crucifix has taken on a "creepy" vibe. I don't know that all Catholics, if any, feel the same way that I do. I have actually never spoken to any that do, so maybe we should just hold out that I am the creepy, kooky Catholic on the forum and not make it a Catholic "thing".

Old 06-05-2007, 09:44 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,636,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Not even his death really...the INSTRUMENT of his death. Yikes. I mean it was the same instrument that killed criminals so what was special about it, exactly?
(I think I lost the post, so will try again...)

What is special about the cross?

Maybe that Jesus was innocent, and went willingly to die for me.

And, weatherologist - it's not creepy at all to those who believe.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:48 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,222,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I'd like to personally apologize to all other Catholics on this forum. It seems that my love of the crucifix has taken on a "creepy" vibe. I don't know that all Catholics, if any, feel the same way that I do. I have actually never spoken to any that do, so maybe we should just hold out that I am the creepy, kooky Catholic on the forum and not make it a Catholic "thing".
Oh, Weather, it's NOT creepy! The Cross and what Jesus accomplished there is central to our faith. I don't wear a cross or a crucifix, but it certainly is not creepy.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:49 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,564,121 times
But it wasnt the cross that died, it was Jesus. The cross was just a horrendous method of torture and so many horrid people died on it. I wouldnt want to venerate it.

If my father were to die innocently in the electric chair, for example, I don't think I'd wear an electric chair around my neck or place it on my mantle.

But maybe that's just me.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:51 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I can see how you might feel that way. I am sure that if you knew the depths of which I admire a crucifix, you would find ME a little creepy. There is a sone out, I have only heard it twice on the radio, it must be the Third Day, because it's a little "hard rockish". But it asks, what does your Jesus look like? Did he have curly blonde air, a clear complextion and beautiful blue eyes (this is not exact)? Because my Jesus was beaten and bloody. My Jesus would not be allowed in my church because he would stain the carpets... Anyway, it's a very neat song, I wish I would hear it again or know for sure who it is by. I think that we all see Jesus in our own way and neither is wrong. Certainly Christ died on the cross for us. And yes, three days later he rose from the dead. He is risen!!!!
actually that song is by Todd Agnew. saw him in concert. its called MY JESUS

Old 06-05-2007, 10:12 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,778,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
actually that song is by Todd Agnew. saw him in concert. its called MY JESUS
Thank you so much arguy. I will look for it on CD. I am currently visiting in NC and have only heard it the two times up here. I have not heard it on the radio at home, but when I do get home, I will look into it and contact our local Christian radio station if they are not playing it.

Also, KayKay and SB, thank you for coming to my defense, but it is not necessary. I can see the point made by the poster, but it does not in anyway change the way that I see the crucifix. As Christians, the fact that Christ rose from the dead is central to our faith, without it, what would we have? However, the fact that he was willing to go to the cross to die for ME is, again, simply amazing.!

Old 06-05-2007, 10:19 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,130,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
Not even his death really...the INSTRUMENT of his death. Yikes. I mean it was the same instrument that killed criminals so what was special about it, exactly?
Exactly I'd think a much more beautiful symbol would be the glorious risen Christ or the Christ praying in Gethsemane. I don't understand why one would hold sacred the means by which Christ was crucified?

Old 06-05-2007, 10:23 AM

22,853 posts, read 28,102,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
As a Baptist, we utilize a standard cross with no Jesus on it. The reason for this is the commandment
Exodus 20
4Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
I'm curious how far Baptists extend that thinking:

Do Baptists object to having pictures of family members? (Technically that is a "likeness of any thing.") What about statues, the Statue of Liberty, Lincoln Memorial, and that kind of thing? Figurines on the wedding cake? A little girl's baby dolls? Are those considered sinful?

Not trying to be contentious or disrespectful. Just curious.

Old 06-05-2007, 10:36 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,724,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I'm curious how far Baptists extend that thinking:

Do Baptists object to having pictures of family members? (Technically that is a "likeness of any thing.") What about statues, the Statue of Liberty, Lincoln Memorial, and that kind of thing? Figurines on the wedding cake? A little girl's baby dolls? Are those considered sinful?

Not trying to be contentious or disrespectful. Just curious.
I can answer that as a former Baptist, but just for myself. I dont think pictures of those things are sinful, nor do I think picture of a picture of Christ on the cross is sinful. If it reminds you of him, whats the debate about? We know hes not on it anymore, personally I just think of the figure of the cross as a way to recongize fellow believers that Christ paid a debt on that old cross, because he loved us so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity