Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:56 PM

823 posts, read 1,401,128 times

Advertisements

[quote=meerkat2;13823522]Ilene,

That is what it is about - it is each of us seeking truth individually and finding others here who have the same questions that we do and are seeking to 'know God'

We all do not agree with each other on doctrine but we all do agree that God is love and that while we were yet sinners he loved us and drew us to him --- if he does it only for some of the sinners and not other sinners, where is the justice? Why me and not my neighbour? especially when we read this

Meerkat2. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for stating this

We DO NOT HAVE TO AGREE about everything - as when we fight and bicker it takes us away from what is important.

We become stronger when we realize who God really is. He is a Loving Heavenly Father. He guides our hearts to seek his Love. As you seek to love God beyond all things, you will see the Love that He has for all His children. You will see what His Will is for you, and you will consequently inspire others to recognize what God's Will is for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 01:28 AM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
That statement is true, but why are you stating that on a thread about UR? There are consequences, but no one knows exactly what they are. UR people love God and understand His character and know that His judgment will be fair and not eternal torture. God didn't just "offer a gospel" by the way. He sent his Son to be the Savior of the world and He didn't fail.
Bright hope - Twin spin is saying that there are ETERNAL consequences for unbelief

Old 04-22-2010, 08:25 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It's not loving to let unbelievers think that there is no absolute eternal consequece for unbelief beyond life. It is offering a gospel other than what God offered.

Romans 3:19
Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God.

John 5:28-30
for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out—those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

1 John 5:10
Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in his heart. Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his Son.

1 John 5:10 explains what God meant as to "all liars" in the list that will not make it into heaven. But mockers do what they do best........
I agree with you twin

Old 04-22-2010, 08:41 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It's not loving to let unbelievers think that there is no absolute eternal consequece for unbelief beyond life. It is offering a gospel other than what God offered.

Romans 3:19
Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God.

John 5:28-30
for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out—those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him."

1 John 5:10
Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in his heart. Anyone who does not believe God has made him out to be a liar, because he has not believed the testimony God has given about his Son.

1 John 5:10 explains what God meant as to "all liars" in the list that will not make it into heaven. But mockers do what they do best........
Its not loving to tell (or threaten) unbelievers with an eternal consequence that is false.

The verses you quote above do not suggest an eternal hell unless you are already biased to believe they do.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Its not loving to tell (or threaten) unbelievers with an eternal consequence that is false.

The verses you quote above do not suggest an eternal hell unless you are already biased to believe they do.
What is loving is to tell people about Jesus, and how He is the only way to Heaven and believing in Him, asking Him into your heart to forgive you of your sins. What is loving is to explain to explain how Jesus is not just "hell insurance" but what He can do for us now. And what is loving is also explaining to people the eternal consequences of not believing in Him.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:52 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,381 times
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow
That statement is true, but why are you stating that on a thread about UR? There are consequences, but no one knows exactly what they are. UR people love God and understand His character and know that His judgment will be fair and not eternal torture. God didn't just "offer a gospel" by the way. He sent his Son to be the Savior of the world and He didn't fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Bright hope - Twin spin is saying that there are ETERNAL consequences for unbelief
Oh, yeah. I missed that point. Then, Twin's right that UR doesn't agree that people will be punished infinitely for sin or unbelief in this finite life.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
What is loving is to tell people about Jesus, and how He is the only way to Heaven and believing in Him, asking Him into your heart to forgive you of your sins. What is loving is to explain to explain how Jesus is not just "hell insurance" but what He can do for us now. And what is loving is also explaining to people the eternal consequences of not believing in Him.
You defeat yourself here. You claim Jesus is not "hell insurance" while also claiming Jesus is the only way to escape "eternal consequences" A.K.A. "hell". If Jesus is the only way to escape hell, then He is the ticket out of hell. He is hell insurance by your own words.

I understand that you believe it is loving to tell people this message, because you believe that there really is a hellish afterlife that we need to be saved from.

But the truth is that Jesus is saving us from sin and the life of sin we have right now. If you would only examine the scriptures and study how certain words have been mistranslated (mistranslations which cause contradictions in our English translations), then you would see there are no eternal consequences.

So perhaps you are simply unwilling to go beyond what you have been taught you think the bible says.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
You defeat yourself here. You claim Jesus is not "hell insurance" while also claiming Jesus is the only way to escape "eternal consequences" A.K.A. "hell". If Jesus is the only way to escape hell, then He is the ticket out of hell. He is hell insurance by your own words.

I understand that you believe it is loving to tell people this message, because you believe that there really is a hellish afterlife that we need to be saved from.

But the truth is that Jesus is saving us from sin and the life of sin we have right now. If you would only examine the scriptures and study how certain words have been mistranslated (mistranslations which cause contradictions in our English translations), then you would see there are no eternal consequences.

So perhaps you are simply unwilling to go beyond what you have been taught you think the bible says.
Are you saying Jesus is not the only way to Heaven? He most definitely is our ONLY way to escape hell. But like I said He is so much MORE than that. I have studied the Scriptures and what I have been taught is from the Holy Spirit, and that is hell is eternal separation from God, to say otherwise is not Biblical.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:30 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,945,573 times
Quote:
Are you saying Jesus is not the only way to Heaven? He most definitely is our ONLY way to escape hell. But like I said He is so much MORE than that. I have studied the Scriptures and what I have been taught is from the Holy Spirit, and that is hell is eternal separation from God, to say otherwise is not Biblical.

I have studied the scriptures and what I have been taught is from the Holy Spirit and that is hell is not eternal separation from God, to say otherwise is not biblical.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Are you saying Jesus is not the only way to Heaven?
No I'm not saying that at all. I agree He is the only way to be saved, and He is the only way to the Father.
Quote:
He most definitely is our ONLY way to escape hell. But like I said He is so much MORE than that.
What I was saying is He is not the way ("only" or otherwise) to be saved from eternal hell - because there is no eternal hell to be saved from.

Yes He is so much more than that... but if there really was an eternal hell, nothing else should matter except to get hell insurance - which IMHO is what Jesus is reduced to under your view.

Quote:
I have studied the Scriptures and what I have been taught is from the Holy Spirit, and that is hell is eternal separation from God, to say otherwise is not Biblical.
Keep studying. Peace...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity