U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:41 AM

3,371 posts, read 2,031,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You want to learn something about hell? Here you go.

Apologetics Press - The Origin, Nature, and Destiny of the Soul [Part V]
I grew up independent baptist and church-schooled and I am 35 years old and have been studying for quite some time, so I know a little something about hell. But thanks anyway.

But maybe you can check this out.

When Jesus spoke of "hell" (actually, the Greek word gehenna) in Mark 9:44, He was quoting from Isaiah 66:24, which says:
"Then they shall go forth and look on THE CARCASSES (corpses) of the men who have transgressed against Me. For their worm shall not die, and their fire shall not be quenched; and they shall be an abhorrence to all mankind."

Note that even in gehenna, NO ONE was burned alive. The worst God-approved Old Testament punishment that could be meted out as far as a person's dignity was concerned was to be cremated after the person was dead. Burning ALIVE was NEVER done.

Stoning, and THEN cremation.

In every case, the thief or wrong-doer must make restitution, sometimes double, sometimes five-fold. For murder and adultery, the penalty is death.

However, please NOTE: In all of God's laws, torture is NEVER allowed, nor death by burning.

****The ONLY god in the Bible who required human burning sacrifices was the pagan god Molech. God called this an "abomination" in Jeremiah 32:35;

From the website Was the Doctrine of Hell Manufactured by Theologians?. Not that I agree with everything on that page, but she has a lot of good points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 AM

24,691 posts, read 19,830,262 times
Whatever doctrine you subscribe to Isaiah 33:14-15 doesn't even refer to hell. Theologians seem to take every mention of the word 'fire' in the OT and relate it to hell. And the verses clearly say that only the righteous will be able to dwell in everlasting burnings. The sinners in Zion ask that because they know they cannot dwell in 'everlasting burnings' because God will destroy them and not suffer them to be in his presence. But I suppose theologians are already re-defining words like 'consume' and 'devour' to mean 'torment'.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:24 PM

I have only recently been studying the way fire was used in the Bible.

Does anybody have a good web page with all the verses with the words "fire," "burnings," "flames," and such?

I haven't got around to getting a concordance yet.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:30 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,829,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post

Does anybody have a good web page with all the verses with the words "fire," "burnings," "flames," and such?

I use Biblos.com: Search, Read, Study the Bible in Many Languages and find it very useful.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Thank you.

Old 03-25-2010, 03:55 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,049,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post

These sites are great for looking up words quickly, and they have several versions. Looking up the word "fire" was quite an eye opener for me.

http://www.biblegateway.com/

http://www.crosswalk.com/bible/

Old 03-25-2010, 03:55 PM

6,805 posts, read 4,829,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Whatever doctrine you subscribe to Isaiah 33:14-15 doesn't even refer to hell. Theologians seem to take every mention of the word 'fire' in the OT and relate it to hell. And the verses clearly say that only the righteous will be able to dwell in everlasting burnings. The sinners in Zion ask that because they know they cannot dwell in 'everlasting burnings' because God will destroy them and not suffer them to be in his presence. But I suppose theologians are already re-defining words like 'consume' and 'devour' to mean 'torment'.
Very true. In the mind of some everything points to burning people for ever.

But we know that God IS a consuming fire so it makes sense that the righteous are the only ones who can endure it. A fire meant to consume cannot consume if there is nothing to consume... But for the wicked the fire (God) does consume and I would imagine that is quite uncomfortable. but then again after the wickedness is consumed only righteousness is left....

Old 03-25-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
These sites are great for looking up words quickly, and they have several versions. Looking up the word "fire" was quite an eye opener for me.

http://www.biblegateway.com/

http://www.crosswalk.com/bible/

Thanks for the links.

(have to cut down on posts for a while, I guess) (Family wants me back)

Old 03-25-2010, 07:11 PM

78 posts, read 58,883 times
Even Sodoms' condition isn't "eternal"

Eze 16:55- When thy sisters, Sodom and her daughters, shall return to their former estate, and Samaria and her daughters shall return to their former estate, then thou and thy daughters shall return to your former estate.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipidydoodaa View Post
Even Sodoms' condition isn't "eternal"

Eze 16:55- When thy sisters, Sodom and her daughters, shall return to their former estate, and Samaria and her daughters shall return to their former estate, then thou and thy daughters shall return to your former estate.
Interesting.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity