U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-29-2010, 01:31 AM

178 posts, read 94,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Jesus is the living Word of God (or do you think He is dead?) The OT was necessary to establish the expectation of Jesus and predict the way His life and death would occur and the impact He would have for millennia. Jesus fulfilled all the expectations of His day and for every day since for 2000+ years. That is what fulfilling the OT means and that is what validates Christianity.

I didn't quote the rest of your statement, because it is sacrilegious.
Jesus is the Living Word of God. Jesus quoted the OT to many of His listeners. Jesus would have told us not to pay attention to the OT if he didn't support it. You are wrong about the OT, and that is your choice. I do not accept your way of thinking.

Jesus readily quoted Old Testament scripture. How can Christians justify denying its validity? « the BEattitude (http://thebeattitude.com/2009/03/12/jesus-readily-quoted-old-testament-scripture-how-can-christians-justify-denying-its-validity/ - broken link)

In a few of my recent posts, numerous Christians have argued that most of the Old Testament should be viewed as allegories or metaphors and not factual historical accounts. And the Bible has inaccuracies because it was written by men that occasionally misquoted god.

Jesus would strongly disagree with you.
During his recorded ministry, Jesus quoted 24 different Old Testament verses.

Jesus believed that the Old Testament was divinely inspired as he referred to the scriptures as “the commandment of God” (Matthew 15:3) and as the “word of god” (Matthew 15:6). He also taught Christians the infallibility of scripture when he stated, “Until Heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the law, until all is accomplished” (Matthew 5:18) and “the Scripture cannot be broken” (John 10:35).

Jesus continually quoted Old Testament scripture to teach his disciples and criticize the Jewish pharmacies. He ridiculed, “Have you not read that which was spoken to you by God?” (Matthew 22:31) and “Are you not in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God?” (Mark 12:24). He also used stories from the Old Testament to teach, “Have you not read what David did?” (Matthew 12:3).

Jesus also confirmed many of the historical accounts in the Old Testament, such as the destruction of Sodom and the death of Lot’s wife (Matthew 10:15, Luke 17:29-32), the murder of Abel by his brother Cain (Luke 11:51), the calling of Moses (Mark 12:26), the manna given in the wilderness (John 6:31-51), and the judgment upon Tyre, Sidon and Sodom (Mathew 11:20-24).

Jesus even confirmed the most often rejected Old Testament stories, such as the creation story of Adam and Eve (Matthew 19:4-6), Noah and the great flood (Matthew 24:37-39), and the three days of Jonah spent in the belly of a great fish (Matthew 12:40).

If Christians have to discount Old Testament stories to believe in Jesus, then they are not Christian. If Jesus believed it, Christians must believe it. Otherwise how can you honestly call yourself a follower of Jesus? He would say to you, “are you not in error because you deny the Scriptures?”

I think that last statement says it all.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
No. There is no church for Christian Universalism - no building at all. We are a growing group of believers who have typically been Christians for many years (usually decades) before being shown the truth of God's character by the Holy Spirit. I'm Baptist.
So you worship in a Baptist Church? All the time rejecting the teachings of the Baptist Church, which includes the OT? That sounds like deception to me.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
So, what do Mormons teach about Jesus, his death on the cross, what it means to us, etc.? And why the book from Joseph Smith? It is equivalent to, or maybe even more revered than the Bible? Thanks.
Mormonism is a cult.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I recently read this verse and thought it was perfect for this thread and the OP to know.

But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14

Pretty much self-explanatory.
"Which sleep in Jesus" means they accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

The requirement needed to grant you the ability to spend eternity with God and Jesus in Heaven.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:05 PM

1,897 posts, read 1,029,785 times
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow
No. There is no church for Christian Universalism - no building at all. We are a growing group of believers who have typically been Christians for many years (usually decades) before being shown the truth of God's character by the Holy Spirit. I'm Baptist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejoicer View Post
So you worship in a Baptist Church? All the time rejecting the teachings of the Baptist Church, which includes the OT? That sounds like deception to me.
You must be getting me mixed up with another poster because I never said anything at all about rejecting the OT. I believe in the Baptist Church's view of salvation of once-saved-always-saved. I also believe what my pastor says - that there is nothing you can do to earn salvation, and there's nothing you can do to lose salvation.

Where I differ, though, is that I really do believe what he says, and most Baptists don't, and as far as I know, my pastor really doesn't either. I really do believe there is nothing you do to earn salvation because it is a gift from God and Jesus gave us that gift when he died on the cross. We don't have to say a little prayer or anything to be saved. Baptists think you do. If they went door to door witnessing and presented the gospel, and someone got excited about the good news and wanted to end the visit right there and shut the door, a Baptist would want them to do something first - say a prayer. That is "something" and not "nothing."

It is a complete work of God. It is finished. "Knowing God" (i.e. - eternal life per John 17:3), is a different story. We don't all know God, but we all will at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity