Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:52 AM

7,712 posts, read 12,566,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
I guess that means that if you die before the end of times begins your generation wasn't meant to be part of that either,isn't that correct...it's amazing the ignorant kind of thinking people have all because of some story in a book.
Excuse me? Please don't try to demean Christianity and what the Bible stands for, for something I said. The Bible wasn't created for nothing. It was created as a guideline for us so that we could walk in the body of Christ and live pure until we see him again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 06:29 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,982,272 times
Here we go yet again.

First of all the idea that this is "the end" is nothing new and every single generation of man has experienced its share of "perilous times." The thing is, the world and knowledge of it has expanded because of progress. The ancient tribe living in a valley between a river/sea and a tall mountain range believed "the world" only existed between that river/sea and the tall mountains. Whatever was beyond either boundary was to be feared. Today we know better then that (we hope). If some natural disaster occurred killing many in their small little idea of 'the world,' you can bet they thought they angered some force (some god) and probably thought those days were "perilous times" and that such things were probably "the beginning of sorrows" and that the end was near.

Man has always faced perilous times. It just SEEMS worse to us today because we are plugged into a global village where we can receive news of a bombing in Russia in seconds or that a massive quake struck Chile. 100 years ago, people on the other side of the world would have been completely oblivious to either and as long as THEIR small section of the "known" world was at peace, all was good. If their world was engulfed in war, sparking disease, injustice, sieges leading to famine, rapes, death and mayhem, one is sure that doomsdayers of the time would be claiming the end of time was near.

Today we have easier, quicker and more efficient ways to kill millions if we wanted to and the that being said, we have easier and more efficient ways to kill ONLY those we NEED to kill. Unfortunately, both of these ways are being employed today.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:52 AM

5,925 posts, read 6,923,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Wow!! It appears as if everybody has chosen there sides, yes?
No, it is a fourm thread showing that a religious person saying we live in perilous times has no more biblical significance now than the same phrase did 100 years ago.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:00 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,982,272 times
I am often a victim of falling for the romantic ideas of the past. It's a human thing, yet I now have kids and I have to remind myself about this. Every single generation of adults will ALWAYS fell that their innocent days were the "good old days." Today will be the 'good old days' for my kids 40 years from now just like the 'good old days' were 40 years ago for my mother and 25 years ago for me.

My mother believed her days had the 'best music' and my grandmother thought her days had the best music and my kids, 20 years from now, will think Lil' Wayne was a lyrical genius and I will still think they lost their minds. That is how it goes.

So why am I saying this? You see, each generation has their young who they believe are out of control and disrespectful. Heck, Socrates was complaining about the Greek youths of his day 3,000 years ago. Many Christians like to believe that man has GOTTEN worse when in fact man, at his basest level, is what he ALWAYS has been. It just seems worse to us today because man can massacre each other on a massive level today. A man with a high powered gun and lots of bullets can kill more people than his ancestor could have done with just a sword or bow and arrow. Today I can know of ALL the different wars going on, be they drug wars, civil wars or international wars. Of course the world seems worse to you and I when in fact, man, like nature, is just being himself/itself. Man, however, has made great strides despite the bad.

I know this seems disjointed (it's early and I'm not quite awake yet) but here was part of the point I wanted to make. Today on my island in the Caribbean, the murder rate goes up each year. The popular refrain is that our kids are so violent today and have lost all respect for god and human life. How can it not be true when you consider the stats.

Now here's the tricky part. 25 years ago we were just as violent but it just didn't seem that way for a few reasons. First of all, we did not have easy access to guns to instantly kill and kill from distances and in multiple numbers like the kids today can do, BUT we still fought, threw stones, picked up 2x4s and pulled knives. The INTENT was still there. We wanted to hurt, maim, kill but just did not have the weapons to do it en mass. Furthermore, everyone was not walking with video cameras and camera phones to throw scenes of fights up on YouTube in seconds. Our schools and neighborhoods were not filled with surveillance cameras to record our every move. Our news agencies were not running all over the island to record every fight, every murder, every rape so it SEEMED we were less violent and more respectful, but ask any parent from that time or the time before that or the time before that or the time before that and the time before that and you will get the same thing..."the kids nowadays are so blah blah blah."

That being said, I will admit that the matter is more complex than that. I will also admit that mass media has made it easier for insulated kids to learn new ways from troubled kids in other places how to lash out in violent ways. The natural urge to be rebellious can now be expanded by the uptown kid or the kid in surburbia because the deprived downtown kid and the troubled inner city youth can show them how its done and it seems like so much fun to be free to whatever the hell you want to do. In that sense, we seem to have gotten worse!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:02 AM

7,712 posts, read 12,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post

Man has always faced perilous times. It just SEEMS worse to us today because we are plugged into a global village where we can receive news of a bombing in Russia in seconds or that a massive quake struck Chile. 100 years ago, people on the other side of the world would have been completely oblivious to either and as long as THEIR small section of the "known" world was at peace, all was good. If their world was engulfed in war, sparking disease, injustice, sieges leading to famine, rapes, death and mayhem, one is sure that doomsdayers of the time would be claiming the end of time was near.
Wasn't it barely a 100 years ago, we had WWI?! The whole world knew about that one...

Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,921,371 times
It's so very evident that we live in extremely perilous times; ask the Rwandans, who experienced a loss of about a million lives in the 90's because of genocide, if these are perilous times. However, some people feel comfortable in their cushy lives while the world implodes around them.

2 Thessalonians 2
11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
12 That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

Last edited by scgraham; 03-30-2010 at 07:42 AM..

Old 03-30-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents,

YouTube - Bullied to Death
Quote:
unthankful, unholy, Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as their's also was. But you have fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, long-suffering, charity, patience, Persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived. But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Timothy 3: 1-17)
We are living these scriptures.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
We are living these scriptures.

Actually no one is saying we are not in perilous times, but the issue is that "modern" events are painted as worse and more barbaric than the past and it simply is not true. When has times not actually been perilous? The world has always been perilous. Walking outside is perilous.

But we can live in fear of it, or go about our business despite that fact.

Personally I read about the middle ages and most likely I would of been a peasant, yeah, I sure would of been living in perilous times then for sure.

There is no real significance to modern events saying Jesus will come soon, when people have been saying that for centuries.

There has always been a high degree of the promotion of fear over the manifestation of Gods love being prevelant in believers and there is no more significance to this today than in bible times.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Actually no one is saying we are not in perilous times, but the issue is that "modern" events are painted as worse and more barbaric than the past and it simply is not true.
God said it, therefore it is. The latter days are perilous because of mankind's attributes. If you can't accept the Holy Scriptures, then it's pointless to discuss anything with you or others like you.

Remember, the devil lead Jesus into the wilderness and then began to question and distort the Scriptures. Did Jesus debate him? No, He gave the devil what was written.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
God said it, therefore it is. The latter days are perilous because of mankind's attributes. If you can't accept the Holy Scriptures, then it's pointless to discuss anything with you or others like you.

Remember, the devil lead Jesus into the wilderness and then began to question and distort the Scriptures. Did Jesus debate him? No, He gave the devil what was written.

God did not say the latter days were when you think they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity