Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 01:06 AM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Ok I see what you are saying... God is the God of the living so by God saying he is the God of A, I , J... then then must be alive...

Thanks for the patience! I always took that to mean that God is God of the living so that once you were dead... well you were dead..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 03:04 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,568,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
Yes, He is talking to those who don't believe in a ressurection. He is using reason + one scripture to prove them wrong.

Pretend you don't beliieve dead people can be made alive again and Jesus is talking to you.

If you accept these three premises:

(1) God is the God of the living, not the dead
(2) God is the God of AIJ
(3) AIJ died

Then AIJ must be made alive again. There is no other alternative.

I think Jesus could have used any dead persons of whom God says He is their God. Jesus claims that that vierse is about the resurrection in that God claims to be the God of some dead people, and God is not the God of dead people, so those dead people must live again.

I think those will be fullfilled in the resurrection, but I don't think those statements are necessary for Jesus to have used AIJ in his proof. All I think that is necessary for His proof is for God to have said "I am the God of [some dead person]"
Matthew 27:51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; (When the veil was rent, it signaled that we were given the Holy Spirit of God which enable us to approach him directly)

52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose.

53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

Ezekiel 37:1-28 The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones.

7 So I prophesied as I was commanded: and as I prophesied, there was a noise, and behold a shaking, and the bones come together, bone to his bone.

8 And when I beheld, lo, the sinews and the flesh came up upon them, and the skin covered them above: but there was no breath in them.

9 Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon upon these slain, that they may live.

10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath come into them, and they lived, and stood upon their feet, and exceeding great army.

11Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts.

12 Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, , and bring you into the land of Israel.

13 And ye shall know that I am the LORD, when I have opened your graves, O my people, and brought your up out of the graves.

14 *And shall put my spirit in you, and ye shall live, and I shall place you in your own land: then shall ye know that I the LORD have spoken it, and performed it, saith the LORD.

*It doesn't look like we will be in the pearly gates in the sky...does it?

Revelation 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

The ancient people had no idea that this was possible, but now, thanks to science, they are now studying as to how...through DNA, they can create life. They were already successful with Dolly the sheep with cloning

The antediluvian patriarchs were very protective of the bones of their ancestors (now we know why)...they made sure they had Adam's bones intact with them in the Ark.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:19 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,022,674 times
The only resurrection that this involves is the resurrection in the spirit world, not this world. God is the God of the living means the living soul, and He is not the God of the dead soul. That is what that means. We do not come back to this world, we stay in the spirit world once this body dies. We, then, no longer feel pain, no longer can harm another. The dead body means nothing. It is the soul of man that Jesus and the other prophets always referred to. Humans look at death differently than the spirits in Heaven. Death is a gift and not to be mourned. We just enter the next phase of our existance.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:17 AM

4 posts, read 4,956 times
Quote:
Luke 20:37 But in the account of the bush, even Moses showed that the dead rise, for he calls the Lord 'the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.'

Why is the dead rising so obvious to them just by Moses saying "the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob," at the bush?

What am I missing here?

Here is the passage in context...
Luke 20:34 Jesus replied, “The people of this age marry and are given in marriage. 35 But those who are considered worthy of taking part in that age and in the resurrection from the dead will neither marry nor be given in marriage, 36 and they can no longer die; for they are like the angels. They are God’s children, since they are children of the resurrection. 37 But in the account of the bush, even Moses showed that the dead rise, for he calls the Lord ‘the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’ 38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to him all are alive.â€
39 Some of the teachers of the law responded, “Well said, teacher!†40 And no one dared to ask him any more questions.

See also Exodus 3:6.
This website gives the real answer to everyone's question regarding Luke 20:37.

YouTube - ‪youneekk's Channel‬‏

Old 06-21-2011, 10:39 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,859 times
Did it ever occur to anyone...that Jesus was speaking about a SPIRITUAL RESURRECTION and not a physical resurrection of a corpse????? Just saying...

Old 06-21-2011, 02:36 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post
Did it ever occur to anyone...that Jesus was speaking about a SPIRITUAL RESURRECTION and not a physical resurrection of a corpse????? Just saying...
The carnal mind will not let go of its attachment to the physical body easily, Christy. They have completely misunderstood what Jesus told Nicodemus that we must be "born again" as Spirit. That which is "born of Spirit is Spirit." They mistakenly believe "born again" is some magical transformation while within this physical body. It is not. We are "conceived" meaning "born of God" or "begotten"(gennao) as "embryo Spirits" while in this physical body ("womb"). We will be "born again" as Spirit upon our death as Jesus was. We can follow the guidance of His Holy Spirit within our consciousness to help mature our embryo Spirits sufficiently to be "born again" . . . by following His commands to "love God and each other."

Old 06-21-2011, 06:46 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,573,759 times
Is it not obvious! He IS the God of, not Was the God of. The tense is the present so therefore He is claiming that Abraham, Isaac and Jacob are not were but ARE {ALIVE}

Old 06-22-2011, 05:06 AM

1,711 posts, read 1,902,293 times
Quote:
Ok I see what you are saying... God is the God of the living so by God saying he is the God of A, I , J... then then must be alive...

Thanks for the patience! I always took that to mean that God is God of the living so that once you were dead... well you were dead..
That's almost what I was saying, but not quite. It does not prove that they are already alive, it only proves that they are already or will someday be alive again. It proves that there is a resurrection of the dead.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:43 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your answers. I am still pondering the significance here. What did Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob have in common besides a belief in God?
I'm not joking with this answer. None of them were fundamentalists.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:44 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,523,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I'm not joking with this answer. None of them were fundamentalists.
A year ago I think I was trying to prove to myself that dead is dead... I kinda hate it when old threads are revived...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity