Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 03:01 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,225,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
What has this person spoken in tongues?
I don't go to his church so I don't know what he says, but I've been friends with him for years and he's a very Godly man. His love for the Lord is so evident in his day to day life. I have sciatica and it was hurting really bad one day. He prayed over me and I was healed. He gives God all the glory in everything he does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Oh, there are gifts. Moderator cut: editBut Christians are not much more common than hen's teeth, in the USA.
Gifts for today are referring to healing, prophecy, speaking in tongues, etc.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-31-2010 at 07:11 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 03:05 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
I don't go to his church so I don't know what he says
Then you don't know that he has that gift.

Quote:
He prayed over me and I was healed.
'"When the Judgment Day comes, many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord! In your name we spoke God's message, by your name we drove out many demons and performed many miracles!' Then I will say to them, 'I never knew you. Get away from me, you wicked people!'"' Mt 7:22-23 GNB

Old 03-31-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Gifts for today are referring to healing, prophecy, speaking in tongues, etc.
And so?

Old 03-31-2010, 03:12 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
They are not demonic. Speaking in tongues edifies them. It's a heavenly language. I posted above one of my good friends speaks in tongues and he's a very Godly man. Some people don't believes in the gifts for today, but I do even though I don't speak in tongues.
CantWait2Leave...what was referred to was Acts 2:1-8 where they were understood by all languages, not ones integrity. The fact that I didn't not understand what was being said...put my defense mechanism up...which is MY CHRIST...and their prayer was intended FOR ME! The Holy Spirit guides us...do you also believe this?

Blessings...

Old 03-31-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Then you don't know that he has that gift.

'"When the Judgment Day comes, many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord! In your name we spoke God's message, by your name we drove out many demons and performed many miracles!' Then I will say to them, 'I never knew you. Get away from me, you wicked people!'"' Mt 7:22-23 GNB
I do know he has that gift because he is not a liar. I've known many people who have spoken in tongues. Yes, I've heard it. This isn't an uncommon gift.

Mark 16:15-18 "He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

My friend is a true Christian. I don't care if you agree with me or not because you don't know him. Jesus said that people will speak in tongues. That's not enough for you? You have to personally experience it to know it's from Him?

Old 03-31-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
CantWait2Leave...what was referred to was Acts 2:1-8 where they were understood by all languages, not ones integrity. The fact that I didn't not understand what was being said...put my defense mechanism up...which is MY CHRIST...and their prayer was intended FOR ME! The Holy Spirit guides us...do you also believe this?

Blessings...
Of course He guides. I guess since I've been around so many charismatics it's just normal to me. I do understand what you are saying though.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
I've known many people who have spoken in tongues. Yes, I've heard it.
What did you hear?

Quote:
Mark 16:15-18
This is not reliably part of the Bible, as modern translations usually indicate.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:22 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
I do know he has that gift because he is not a liar. I've known many people who have spoken in tongues. Yes, I've heard it. This isn't an uncommon gift.

Mark 16:15-18 "He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. 16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well."

My friend is a true Christian. I don't care if you agree with me or not because you don't know him. Jesus said that people will speak in tongues. That's not enough for you? You have to personally experience it to know it's from Him?
I don't believe that...GOD WHO LOVED US...will condemn me to hell for wanting to know and understand HIS WORDS...I can bet my soul on this...

Old 03-31-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
What did you hear?

This is not reliably part of the Bible, as modern translations usually indicate.
All of the Bible is the the Word of God. It's all divinely inspired.

Revelation 22:19 "And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

And with that, I'm done with this conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity