Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:56 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Right, that's why when someone speaks in tongues in church there is always to be a translator. It's both from God. But you notice in the verse he's thanking God for being able to speak in tongues
Privately. But this discussion is about meetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 06:56 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,622,031 times
Quote:
Right, that's why when someone speaks in tongues in church there is always to be a translator. It's both from God. But you notice in the verse he's thanking God for being able to speak in tongues so you just shot yourself in the foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
I know it seems I don't often agree with Shibata but in this one I do ---
1Co 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
1Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
1Co 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
That's why I wrote the above.

Old 03-31-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Privately. But this discussion is about meetings.
There is nothing that says it has to be privately. I've been in many services where someone stood up and spoke in tongues and then someone across the room would stand up and translate. It was to edify the whole church.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:01 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,224,923 times
Quote:
There is nothing that says it has to be privately. I've been in many services where someone stood up and spoke in tongues and then someone across the room would stand up and translate. It was to edify the whole church.
Someone I went to high school with went to a church and two people were speaking in tongues in front of him. There were two guests visiting from other countries- Germany and Korea. Well, the two people speaking in tongues had no idea that they were speaking in German and the other in Korean. They interpreted and he said it was so cool!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
So what was said?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Leave View Post
Someone I went to high school with went to a church and two people were speaking in tongues in front of him. There were two guests visiting from other countries- Germany and Korea. Well, the two people speaking in tongues had no idea that they were speaking in German and the other in Korean. They interpreted and he said it was so cool!
See now that is awesome!!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
See now that is awesome!!
But was it of God?

Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
So what was said?
I've come to the conclusion that you're just here to flame so we're done.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that you're just here to flame so we're done.
Nothing edifying, then.

It's always the same. You ask; you do not receive.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:06 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,696,783 times
Quote:
That's why I wrote the above.
The thread is about pentecostal churches ===== meaning that this thread is about the public display in church --- my mom was a pentecostal lady and I was in church and was around people speaking in tongues which were not translated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity