Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:12 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

What does the Bible say about suicide?

News, Man Leaps to Death From Empire State Building

A 21-year-old man scaled a 10-foot-high fence on the observation deck of the Empires State Building last evening and thudded to the ground 86 floors below in front of horrified onlookers. "It was an explosion," a witness told the New York Daily News.

Young Man Leaps to Death From Empire State Building
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 12:24 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

A 21-year-old man scaled a 10-foot-high fence on the observation deck of the Empires State Building last evening and thudded to the ground 86 floors below in front of horrified onlookers. "It was an explosion," a witness told the New York Daily News.

King Saul and Sampson committed suicide, but the bible does say "Thou shall not kill". However, if you are a believer and are driven to suicide I am sure God will consider the circumstances. Mental illness perhaps... The catholic church says "suicides go to hell" as if that was an automatic judgement, but I do not believe that is Biblical.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:50 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
King Saul and Sampson committed suicide, but the bible does say "Thou shall not kill". However, if you are a believer and are driven to suicide I am sure God will consider the circumstances. Mental illness perhaps... The catholic church says "suicides go to hell" as if that was an automatic judgement, but I do not believe that is Biblical.
Hey Finn, I was thinking the exact same thing about Saul and Samson.

Actually, many millions of people commit suicide every year such as the elderly. They come to a point in life where they don't want to eat or drink any more and so die that way.

Finn, the law actually says "Thou shalt not murder." The Jews were allowed to kill in battle. But they were not allowed to murder their associate.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:52 PM

1,468 posts, read 2,120,071 times
Quote:
No, the Catholic Church does NOT teach this. Please stop misrepresenting the teachings of my religion.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

I believe the story of Christ's passion, in the Bible, speaks to this question. As Fulton Sheen stated:

"I believe,really and truly,that Our Lord suffered on the Cross for the physically sick,and in the garden of Gethsemane for the mentally sick"

Old 04-02-2010, 02:36 PM

587 posts, read 1,420,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
No, the Catholic Church does NOT teach this. Please stop misrepresenting the teachings of my religion.
Really? I am not Catholic, so I have no first hand experience, but I've known many Catholics who have stated that this indeed WAS taught.

So then I wonder, have they stopped teaching it or is it just different between different churches?

Old 04-02-2010, 02:42 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
The ten commandments said ``Thou shall not kill``...... Judas in Matthew 27:3-5 Repented and hanged himself......If a Child of Jesus goes crazy and loses his mind and then commits Suicide than that person goes to be with the Lord in Heaven, because the Anointed of Christ are not under the law but under the Spirit of Christ, where Jesus will judge that person acceptable for Heaven

Old 04-02-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
Really? I am not Catholic, so I have no first hand experience, but I've known many Catholics who have stated that this indeed WAS taught.

So then I wonder, have they stopped teaching it or is it just different between different churches?
New Advent is, according to one of my friends who is a learned Catholic theologican, an excellent resource on Catholic doctrine. This is a link to their page on suicide, which may be of interest:

CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Suicide

Blessings

Old 04-02-2010, 03:16 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,904 times
Quote:
... The catholic church says "suicides go to hell" as if that was an automatic judgement, but I do not believe that is Biblical.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/1856599-post28.html

<><

Old 04-02-2010, 04:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
It doesn't? OK. I always thought that they do and I am afraid most people share my thoughts. If I am wrong, then I am wrong. I am not catholic, so it is possible that I was wrong, but that was not the point of my post, it was more of a sidenote. Why do you think the OP asked the question? Because most people think catholic church teaches that all suicides go to hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity