Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 01:57 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
SIGH

This wasn't posted as a point of debate for legalization or not of marajuana.

That, is for another thread. Great Debates perhaps.

This was a legitimate question. What does christianity teach about participation in something that is (as of right now) considered "illegal" for recreational use. Period.

This is an individual who is otherwise a fine upstanding citizen, hard worker, good-person. Not necessarily church-going or involved, but very much a believer in Christ and in fact a regular bible reader.

This is a person who smokes weed with his adult off-spring. I find it awfully hypocritical.

And yes, I do know what the bible has to say about "being judgemental". So I don't need stones thrown my way on that topic. I don't smoke weed, don't enjoy it, but I do other things that are sinful, not a one of us is perfect. I'm just questioning where in the bible it might read that because it's of an "organic" nature, which is an argument that gets thrown around, ......... it's alright to use it.

Where in the bible it would be alright for the father figure of these folks, to participate in (granted these are all legal/consenting adults) an activity that is, as of this day and age, "illegal".
I would not consider Pot smoking as a sin but since it is illegal and if someone is saved they are under the law, if they are saved then they may just be living the freedom in Christ but there are consequences to freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 02:08 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,452 times
Quote:

Where in the bible it would be alright for the father figure of these folks, to participate in (granted these are all legal/consenting adults) an activity that is, as of this day and age, "illegal".
'It is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment, but also because of conscience.' Romans 13:5

Old 04-04-2010, 05:01 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Default You asked for verses/teachings...

Quote:
What does the bible say about participation in illegal activities, anything?

I'm not a bible scholar, unfortunately. So I don't know.

I know someone who is, IMO, acting very hypocritical in that they seem to want to live every aspect of their life in a christian like way, as best as possible, which is good. However, this person is an avowed pot-head.

I know before long, it seems, states will likely legalize marajuana. But for the meantime, it is illegal (and I don't agree with legalizing it). But this person, other than the pot smoking is in general a good person. But as of right now, smoking weed, is not legal.

I just would like to know Christ's teachings, if any, on the rule of law, the mandate to follow the law in living a christian existence.
I believe in answer to your question, you can have two viewpoints:

1) If you follow Christ, claim the name Christian, then you have received the Holy Spirit. In that case, your body is considered a temple and you are defiling the temple.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV) == 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

2) Use of illegal drugs (or abuse of prescribed drugs) causes dependancy. So does abuse of alcohol lead to alcoholism. You become a slave to an addiction, and we were told not to allow that. God is stronger than any addiction. We are not to be bound by the chains of addiction.

Romans 8 (NIV)

Old 04-04-2010, 05:06 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post

1) If you follow Christ, claim the name Christian, then you have received the Holy Spirit. In that case, your body is considered a temple and you are defiling the temple.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV) == 19Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.

2) Use of illegal drugs (or abuse of prescribed drugs) causes dependancy. So does abuse of alcohol lead to alcoholism. You become a slave to an addiction, and we were told not to allow that. God is stronger than any addiction. We are not to be bound by the chains of addiction.

Romans 8 (NIV)
What of those cancer patients who are prescribed Cannabis by Doctors to ease pain and suffering? Surely they'd be addicted to the source of relief.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:30 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
What of those cancer patients who are prescribed Cannabis by Doctors to ease pain and suffering? Surely they'd be addicted to the source of relief.
Every generation of Christians creates a new list of laws to keep the flock bound to, in order to keep the focus off of Christ on the Cross. How sad.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:33 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Every generation of Christians creates a new list of laws to keep the flock bound to, in order to keep the focus off of Christ on the Cross. How sad.
Definitely something to ponder on...

Old 04-04-2010, 05:37 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Definitely something to ponder on...
Indeed.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:29 PM

576 posts, read 994,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post

Romans 8 (NIV)

Thanks, that's kinda what I had in mind.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:14 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
One thing Jesus did not do was have Caesar create more laws that would then cause some to sin.

This is the problem I have with Christians who push for more things to be illegal or fight to keep things illegal, they are helping to create sin.
Just something is legal doesn't mean it's not a sin.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:37 PM

823 posts, read 1,401,714 times
Default God should be your strength

I believe that we need to treat our body well. A glass of red wine a few times a week they say is good for your heart but a few glasses of red wine per day could cause breast cancer in women or lead to addiction. Like anything, alcohol, drugs, overeating, gambling, anything in excess is not good. What must one do when life is getting too tough and one wants to turn to these things? Turn to God for his guidance and not to something else...... God wants us to turn to him when we need him not drugs, alcohol or any other addiction that takes the pain away. For me, I would never do drugs anyway, but to teach your children to habitually do them, I do not see this as teaching them to turn to God but to another “crutch”.

When we turn to "something else" we turn away from our Father.

God will guide and walk with us through our pains. He will give us the strength required. We just need to believe it!

Psalms 46:1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

2 Samuel 22:33 God is my strength and power: and he maketh my way perfect.
Psalms 18:1 I will love thee, O LORD, my strength.

Last edited by SisterKat; 04-05-2010 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: grammar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity