Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 09:44 PM

4,436 posts, read 4,851,327 times

Advertisements

The whole Catholic Church seems to be in crisis, but what is really at stake here is the collapse not of Catholicism, but of Catholic fundamentalism.

Rescue Catholicism from Vatican - The Boston Globe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 02:50 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,112,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
The whole Catholic Church seems to be in crisis, but what is really at stake here is the collapse not of Catholicism, but of Catholic fundamentalism.

It has long seemed to me that many of the problems that arise in the RC church, and/or the Vatican, have to do with the very existence of the Vatican itself.

The Vatican is an independent mini-state, a relic of the vast Papal States of the Medieval and Renaissance eras. I believe that this historical anachronism infects the ranks of the upper clergy with a delusion and fascination with temperal power.

As has been pointed out, the Vatican is the only remaining full-blown Renaissance court in existence. The pomp and lavish etiquette and gold and bejeweled costuming that is the focus of its daily routine is, I believe, thoroughly corrosive to clerical humility.

I feel the RC church would experience an incredible renewal if its leaders could give up these worldy pretensions that have accumulated as the result of the politics of ages gone by.

There is no reason for the Roman Catholic church to exist as a state except for historical vanity.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:37 AM

9,672 posts, read 9,950,375 times
Its not a correct title to Rescue Catholicism from Vatican, But in Heaven it would read ``Rescue the Vatican from the accuser media``........For the Media has done more damage to the Pope and his credability than any abusive Priest......See God knew about these abuses by Priest why do you not condemn the Lord, well thats nonsence, You dont blame God, so dont blame the Pope, blame the Priest if you have to blame someone........ As a Child of God and one who Supports the Pope in Prayer Jesus told me `` this will all pass in time``......So if you want to hear what Jesus says than bring supplication prayer for to bless the Pope......

Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,562,957 times
Quote:

This issue needs to be rescued from theologically amateur, yet boldly rhetoricising, journalists. The word 'Catholic' is not, and never was, descriptive of the 'RCC'. It is far more accurately termed Papalism, because its very claim to exist rests on its claim to leadership by a father, a mentor (or, termed papalism, because there are other, less famous popes). So, if the Roman papacy, the 'Holy Father', is threatened, his church of 'children', the whole structure underneath it, is threatened. Just as, if the Bible is found to be corrupt, the whole Protestant enterprise, Lutherans, Anglicans and all, is undermined. (It is not, as Carroll oh-so-predictably likes us to think, merely Protestant fundamentalists, whoever he imagines them to be, who are Scripturally based.) It is not fundamentalism that is at stake here- it is the very foundation of the RCC.

If, indeed, anything is at stake. It may be that replacing the current pope and some of his appointees will suffice to staunch the wounds, and everything will eventually carry on much as before. It depends on how ordinary Catholics perceive this difficulty. Is it an aberration, a malfunction of a legitimate, well-meaning institution? Or is it an inevitable consequence of a faulty concept and inadequate theology, whose human products are incapable of ever setting an example?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:41 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,769,391 times
Quote:

I don't think we need to rescue Catholicism for the Vatican, but instead we need to rescue the Vatican, with someone with a backbone, that won't let these atrocities stand. Personally I think it's similar to the what needs to be done with the Rep. Party in America.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:12 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,065,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNick View Post
I don't think we need to rescue Catholicism for the Vatican, but instead we need to rescue the Vatican, with someone with a backbone, that won't let these atrocities stand. Personally I think it's similar to the what needs to be done with the Rep. Party in America.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:55 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,577,071 times
It is only the church as a institution that is in danger but as a methodist its more like the jews at the temple when christ came to it.I think we all need to realise that many institutions where their are children under authroity attracts those that one to abuse them. As a methoidist I know its not just in the catholic church either or just in chruch instituitons.Miilons of children as well as adults are sold into sex slavery in this world;we must not forget.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:12 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,562,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
It is only the church as a institution that is in danger but as a methodist its more like the jews at the temple when christ came to it.I think we all need to realise that many institutions where their are children under authroity attracts those that one to abuse them.
Do they include the Vicar of Christ?

Old 04-06-2010, 11:02 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,419,284 times
I think it would be better to just rescue young boys from the Catholic pedophile priests, including the Pope.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:12 PM

593 posts, read 886,239 times
Default Rescue Catholicism from Vatican

It maybe too late to rescue Catholicism from it's bureaucratic base, which is centuries old and with reasonable success has withstood the test of time. Catholics are raised to respect the Vatican (having little knowledge of it's origins ). They respect that is where the Pope lives and makes decisions that they have been told are infallible (without error ). Actually,
thats the end of the story. Bad people then just go away. Catholics are good loving pseudo christian people victimized in a religion (many steeped in religiousity believing their zealousness represents Godliness when much is paganism and ritual side tracking, mediator worship, and non biblical manmade foolishness. Maybe this is true for 35% of Catholic doctrine the rest being based on true biblical teaching. The flaws occured over centuries of manufacturing many concepts,practices and ceremony not in keeping with scripture. Vatican continues to perpetuate the global nonsense heaped in vain repitition (ceremony/intercessory prayer to dieties.mediators,saints,dead,relics) I can't even eloborate without getting too disrespectful of a church that has done so much good for mankind. A dedicated clergy of priest, nuns,brothers,deacons,lay teachers etc. Makes you want to cry. (It' essential to understand they are as oblivious as Islamics or Hindu's to their misguided dogma making it just a sad study in human behavior and "religion") the later having a odd odor of twisted faith.

Last edited by DASULAR17; 04-06-2010 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: formating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity