Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:30 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
I don't understand what you're saying. Can you clarify? Thanks.
You believe one gets a chance to repent after dying here on Earth?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 10:08 AM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
You believe one gets a chance to repent after dying here on Earth?
It won't be a "chance" to repent. Repentance will come immediately upon realizing the truth of God. And the other point of my post is that the Bible only teaches that you need to repent, but not that it is a requirement of salvation, which is a complete work of God through Jesus' death on the cross. So, whether we realize our need for repentance in this lifetime and repent, or be faced with God's presence (like Paul) and repent after death, it has no bearing on your salvation. Salvation is a gift from God.

Life is given to those who believe, which a different question. Does one "get a chance" to believe after dying here on Earth? Again, it won't be a "chance," it will just be that they are shown the truth. Now, belief is required for eternal life, which is to "know Him." Some believe now and "know Him" on earth. Some won't believe until it's proven (like Thomas), and they will "know Him" at that time.

John 17:3
Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

All will be judged according to their sins. Every person will receive a fair judgment, not the evil of being tortured forever. The purpose of punishment is to correct, and that's what God's judgment will do. After He has corrected and burned away all the sinfulness in a person, he himself will be saved.

1 Corinthians 3:15
If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:33 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,527,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Really! I'm glad you understand that you misunderstood, confession is good for the soul. Now, how can we truly help? Yes, Our Father wants 100% saved...but not all WILL be! He said so before we did! Are we truly fearing God?
Yep.. I admit misunderstandings easily, because they are misunderstandings...

Our Father WANTS 100% saved?
What is stopping him? Isn't he all-powerful? If he does the saving (not of ourselves that we could boast) then why are all 100% saved?

Quote:
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. (KJV)

The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person. (New American Standard Bible)

Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole [duty] of man. (NIV)

That's the whole story. Here now is my final conclusion: Fear God and obey his commands, for this is everyone's duty. (NLT)

This is the last word. All has been said. Have fear of God and keep his laws; because this is right for every man. (Bible in Basic English)

All..................Ecclesiates 12:13

You know, I did all this to prove a point.....if you're not willing to believe,( nor read in some cases) what the bible has to say, in any version for that matter, how are you going to believe anything else anybody has to say PERIOD? How? All the information on how we are to live this earthly life before leaving here, it's in there! It is a hard road to travel......

No, all are not going to be saved, but you can be TODAY!! You don't have to wait for another chance, grasp His hand TODAY! Tomorrow may simply be too late.
Gal. 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

1 Tim 4:10 (and for this we labor and strive), that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe.

Believers are only part of the ALL saved... you should keep that in mind when reading verses like:

John 3:16 - For God so loved the WORLD....that whoever believes shall be saved.

And what of the rest, the non-believers?

Romans 3:3-4 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a liar. As it is written: "So that you may be proved right when you speak and prevail when you judge."

It is apparent to me that belief has nothing to do with God being true in saving all.

Even the disciples were called out for their unbelief... Belief is not what saves you.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 PM

1,897 posts, read 2,112,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Belief is not what saves you.
That's right. Belief gives you eternal life, but what is eternal life?

Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent

Old 04-10-2010, 01:28 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,646 times
Belief is not what saves you? Can this be weighed against the scripture?

Observe:

Rom 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

This view is incorrect.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Yep.. I admit misunderstandings easily, because they are misunderstandings...

Our Father WANTS 100% saved?
What is stopping him? Isn't he all-powerful? If he does the saving (not of ourselves that we could boast) then why are all 100% saved?

Gal. 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers.

1 Tim 4:10 (and for this we labor and strive), that we have put our hope in the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe.

Believers are only part of the ALL saved... you should keep that in mind when reading verses like:

John 3:16 - For God so loved the WORLD....that whoever believes shall be saved.

And what of the rest, the non-believers?

Romans 3:3-4 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a liar. As it is written: "So that you may be proved right when you speak and prevail when you judge."

It is apparent to me that belief has nothing to do with God being true in saving all.

Even the disciples were called out for their unbelief... Belief is not what saves you.
Question: Do you most certainly beyond any reason of doubt believe that Jesus is Lord and God rose Him from the dead? YES OR NO (circle one)

Old 04-10-2010, 02:12 PM

823 posts, read 1,401,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bright Hope for Tomorrow View Post
It won't be a "chance" to repent. Repentance will come immediately upon realizing the truth of God. And the other point of my post is that the Bible only teaches that you need to repent, but not that it is a requirement of salvation, which is a complete work of God through Jesus' death on the cross. So, whether we realize our need for repentance in this lifetime and repent, or be faced with God's presence (like Paul) and repent after death, it has no bearing on your salvation. Salvation is a gift from God.

Life is given to those who believe, which a different question. Does one "get a chance" to believe after dying here on Earth? Again, it won't be a "chance," it will just be that they are shown the truth. Now, belief is required for eternal life, which is to "know Him." Some believe now and "know Him" on earth. Some won't believe until it's proven (like Thomas), and they will "know Him" at that time.

Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

All will be judged according to their sins. Every person will receive a fair judgment, not the evil of being tortured forever. The purpose of punishment is to correct, and that's what God's judgment will do. After He has corrected and burned away all the sinfulness in a person, he himself will be saved.

1 Corinthians 3:15
If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
I cannot rep ya but yes all will be judged according to their sins and he will correct and burn away our sinfulness and we shall become more at-one with Him along the way...either in this lifetime or the next ! I have enjoyed reading the dialogue between your & Katzpur and find my beliefs have common denominators with both of you.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterKat View Post
I cannot rep ya but yes all will be judged according to their sins and he will correct and burn away our sinfulness and we shall become more at-one with Him along the way...either in this lifetime or the next ! I have enjoyed reading the dialogue between your & Katzpur and find my beliefs have common denominators with both of you.

That's great! You know what they say: "Birds of a feather flocks together!!" However, there's some that still desire to hear the words of God, the whole truth, nothing but.. without any additives and URservatives excuse me, I meant preservatives thrown in!

Old 04-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Again, Question: Do you most certainly beyond any reason of doubt believe that Jesus is Lord and God rose Him from the dead? YES OR NO (circle one)

Old 04-10-2010, 02:53 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,434,646 times
The flesh, otherwise known as the sin nature, is what is judged. A person without Christ does not have the spirit, because he is dead in sin, and that sin nature is judged according to the flesh. It is those in service of Christ, those of whom that believe in Him, will be judged according to their spirit - their faith in Christ. One cannot have their sins purged from their spirit, and be clean, in the spirit, if they were already dead and had neither resurrected in Christ's spirit or soul to begin. They have no spirit, they are not resurrected in Christ.

At post mortem, once dead in the flesh, their chance at spirit life, was never theirs in the first place, because they did not believe in Christ, while they were in the flesh, hence the doctrine of post mortem salvation is errored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity