U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 02:21 PM

3,627 posts, read 473,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Mystic, God only loves those who fear him.

Psalm 103:17 But the mercy of the LORD [is] from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;

Psalm 33:18 Behold, the eye of the LORD [is] upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy;

Psalm 147:11 The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.

Your god is not the God of the Bible IMO
Quote:
1Jn 4:19 We love him, because he first loved us.
Mystic does not have another God there is only one God

And God loves us before we love him, his mercy is on those that love him --- his judgment are to bring about humbling and repentance, after we are repentant we are shown mercy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 02:54 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,307,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
Mystic does not have another God there is only one God

And God loves us before we love him, his mercy is on those that love him --- his judgment are to bring about humbling and repentance, after we are repentant we are shown mercy.
And His mercy ONLY extends to those who love Him back. This is straight out of the scripture. The scriptures of love and mercy in the Old and New Testament extends to those that enter into covenant with Him. This is the message of scripture. The whole entire premise of the faith as recorded in the scirptures is to "bring" those into the faith so that they "inherit eternal life" and to be a "light" to the world.

Last edited by sciotamicks; 04-16-2010 at 03:13 PM..

Old 04-16-2010, 03:24 PM

3,627 posts, read 473,776 times
Quote:
And His mercy ONLY extends to those who love Him back. This is straight out of the scripture. The scriptures of love and mercy in the Old and New Testament extends to those that enter into covenant with Him. This is the message of scripture. The whole entire premise of the faith as recorded in the scirptures is to "bring" those into the faith so that they "inherit eternal life."
I do not believe that it is as black and white as you are trying to paint the picture --- we are told that mercy will be shown to those that show mercy.

Rom 11:7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded

Rom 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.
Rom 11:12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?

Rom 11:15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?
Rom 11:16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

Rom 11:30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:

Rom 11:31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.

Rom 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

God has concluded everyone in unbelief at some stage ---- so that he may have mercy on them all.

He uses those that have been shown mercy to show mercy to others in unbelief.

The elect now have mercy and will show mercy to those in unbelief.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:48 PM

5,302 posts, read 5,307,000 times
Quote:
I do not believe that it is as black and white as you are trying to paint the picture --- we are told that mercy will be shown to those that show mercy.

Rom 11:7 What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded

Rom 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.
Rom 11:12 Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness?

Rom 11:15 For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?
Rom 11:16 For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches.

Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.

Rom 11:30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:

Rom 11:31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.

Rom 11:32 For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.

God has concluded everyone in unbelief at some stage ---- so that he may have mercy on them all.

May have mercy.......

Old 04-16-2010, 04:51 PM

37,750 posts, read 25,439,358 times
Quote:

Once he revealed his belief in the literalist bible interpretations, meerkat . . . all possibility of logic and reason became useless.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:04 AM

26,490 posts, read 14,086,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
We are often told God knows the exact number of years we will live.
But if you read below it seems Hezekiah got God to change the future:

2 Kings 20:1-6 CLV In those days has Hezekiah been sick unto death, and
come unto him does Isaiah son of Amoz the prophet, and said unto him,
`Thus said Yahweh: Give a charge to your house, for you are dying, and
do not live.. (2) And he turns round his face unto the wall, and prays
unto Yahweh, saying, (3) `I pray You, O Yahweh, remember, I pray You,
how I have walked habitually before You in truth, and with a perfect
heart, and that which [is] good in Your eyes I have done;' and Hezekiah
weeps--a great weeping. (4) And it comes to pass--Isaiah has not gone
out to the middle court--that the word of Yahweh has been unto him,
saying, (5) `Turn back, and you have said unto Hezekiah, leader of My
people:Thus said Yahweh, Elohim of David your father, I have heard your
prayer, I have seen your tear, lo, I give healing to you, on the third day
you do go up to the house of Yahweh;" (6) and I have added to your
days fifteen years, and out of the hand of the king of Asshur I deliver you
and this city, and have covered over this city for Mine own sake, and for
the sake of David My servant..

How can this be?
Can everyone twist God's arm to get Him to change His mind? and thus change the future?

Some people say if the future is written in stone then God lied to Hezekiah for He knew
in advance He was going to give him 15 extra years.

I believe absolutely in God's sovereignty but just want to know how others have dealt with Hezekiah.
Where did his decision come from that caused him to pray for more life?...

Old 04-17-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Eusebius,

The future God set in stone INCLUDED Hezekiah's plead.
Exactly, nothing has happened without God making it happen...

Old 04-17-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Abraham's conversation with God regarding Sodom has even more of a "bargaining" nature to it. (Gen 18:23-33)

I believe God loves for us to have heart-to-Hearts with Him, and to plead with Him for His attributes to be manifested. He's not "changing His mind", but rather causing us to engage Him on matters that He knows He can trump us on - but that requires us to come in a reverential tone, which again, He loves for us to do.
Did he talk with God or did he talk with the Angels that were sent to warn him?...

Old 04-17-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
O.K. I understand that but what about telling Hezekiah he was about to die? Isn't that a lie if God knew he was going to plead and give 15 years?
'All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players'...interesting insight...

Old 04-17-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You can love your egotistical glory -seeking God, Sciota . . . I prefer my loving God. God IS love and everything He does is FOR love.
The 'God is Love' mantra again...forgetting all the other attributes of God...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity