Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:15 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,969,381 times

Advertisements

We are often told God knows the exact number of years we will live.
But if you read below it seems Hezekiah got God to change the future:

2 Kings 20:1-6 CLV In those days has Hezekiah been sick unto death, and
come unto him does Isaiah son of Amoz the prophet, and said unto him,
`Thus said Yahweh: Give a charge to your house, for you are dying, and
do not live.. (2) And he turns round his face unto the wall, and prays
unto Yahweh, saying, (3) `I pray You, O Yahweh, remember, I pray You,
how I have walked habitually before You in truth, and with a perfect
heart, and that which [is] good in Your eyes I have done;' and Hezekiah
weeps--a great weeping. (4) And it comes to pass--Isaiah has not gone
out to the middle court--that the word of Yahweh has been unto him,
saying, (5) `Turn back, and you have said unto Hezekiah, leader of My
people:Thus said Yahweh, Elohim of David your father, I have heard your
prayer, I have seen your tear, lo, I give healing to you, on the third day
you do go up to the house of Yahweh;" (6) and I have added to your
days fifteen years, and out of the hand of the king of Asshur I deliver you
and this city, and have covered over this city for Mine own sake, and for
the sake of David My servant..

How can this be?
Can everyone twist God's arm to get Him to change His mind? and thus change the future?

Some people say if the future is written in stone then God lied to Hezekiah for He knew
in advance He was going to give him 15 extra years.

I believe absolutely in God's sovereignty but just want to know how others have dealt with Hezekiah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 02:01 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
Eusebius,

The future God set in stone INCLUDED Hezekiah's plead.

Old 04-14-2010, 02:07 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Abraham's conversation with God regarding Sodom has even more of a "bargaining" nature to it. (Gen 18:23-33)

I believe God loves for us to have heart-to-Hearts with Him, and to plead with Him for His attributes to be manifested. He's not "changing His mind", but rather causing us to engage Him on matters that He knows He can trump us on - but that requires us to come in a reverential tone, which again, He loves for us to do.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Eusebius,

The future God set in stone INCLUDED Hezekiah's plead.
O.K. I understand that but what about telling Hezekiah he was about to die? Isn't that a lie if God knew he was going to plead and give 15 years?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:01 PM

Because it was a certainty if he didn't. The whole point that God knew the outcome, and that outcome gave Him glory and praise. The purposes in anything God does, is for glory and praise.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:09 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Because it was a certainty if he didn't. The whole point that God knew the outcome, and that outcome gave Him glory and praise. The purposes in anything God does, is for glory and praise.
You can love your egotistical glory -seeking God, Sciota . . . I prefer my loving God. God IS love and everything He does is FOR love.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You can love your egotistical glory -seeking God, Sciota . . . I prefer my loving God. God IS love and everything He does is FOR love.
Mystic, God only loves those who fear him.

Psalm 103:17 But the mercy of the LORD [is] from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;

Psalm 33:18 Behold, the eye of the LORD [is] upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy;

Psalm 147:11 The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.

Your god is not the God of the Bible IMO

Old 04-15-2010, 05:50 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,129,837 times
God will love all, for who will not fear Him...

Rev 15:4 Who will not fear you, O Lord,
and bring glory to your name?
For you alone are holy.
All nations will come
and worship before you,
for your righteous acts have been revealed."

Psalm 64:9 All mankind will fear; they will proclaim the works of God and ponder what he has done

Psalm 67:7 God will bless us, and all the ends of the earth will fear him.

Psalm 102:15 The nations will fear the name of the LORD, all the kings of the earth will revere your glory

Psalm 33:8 Let all the earth fear the LORD; let all the people of the world revere him.

And now back to your regularly scheduled topic...

Old 04-15-2010, 06:55 AM

I've been thinking about this subject on Hezekiah and God telling him he was going to die but then adding 15 years to his life. These are just my thoughts:

What about this: Hezekiah knew that there was a provizo attached to "get your house in order for you are going to die" in that he knew if he asked God for mercy he would get it?

For instance, take the declamation given to Nineveh by Jonah. . .

"Forty days more and Nineveh shall be overturned" (Johah 3:4).

The people of Nineveh must have known this declaration was not written in stone but is said with a provizo. And so they repented:

"Then the men of Nineveh are believing in Elohim. And they are calling a fast and are putting on sackcloths, from their greatest unto their small." (Jonah 3:4,5).

The Ninevites must have known that if they repented that God would be merciful and not destroy their city.

It is not that God lied to them in telling them that Nineveh would be overturned without any doubt, repentance or not.

And God already knew Hezekiah would live 15 years longer because I believe He put that longing in his heart to weep for mercy.

God did not lie to the Ninevites in telling them that their city would be destroyed in 40 days either. He knew there was a provizo and knew they would repent because He declared the end from the beginning. He gave them repentence.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:13 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Mystic, God only loves those who fear him.

Psalm 103:17 But the mercy of the LORD [is] from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;

Psalm 33:18 Behold, the eye of the LORD [is] upon them that fear him, upon them that hope in his mercy;

Psalm 147:11 The LORD taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.

Your god is not the God of the Bible IMO
That is interesting for you to say given that the URers trust implicitly in the hope of his mercy TO ALL.

Whereas the ETer trusts in his mercy for THEM and his Judgment for others.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity