U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2010, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,569,049 times
Reputation: 843

Advertisements

Like some have stated before in this forum - there are many things in the universe and even right here on earth that science doesn't understand.

Certainly everything isn't understood about earthquakes, but so much has been learned in that last 100 years - since Alfred Wegener noticed that all of the continents seemed to fit together like the pieces of a giant puzzle (in 1912) and theorized that all dry land was originally one big supercontinent (which he named Pangea). He was basically laughed off as a crackpot. Even after a scientist named Arthur Holmes suggested (in in 1929) that Alfred may be on to something and theorized the movement of convection currents in the mantle could cause an upwelling beneath the crust, forcing it to break apart and move - the idea was still shelved (scientists are TRAINED to be skeptical ).

Over the next 30 years discoveries that were made under the oceans - (mainly the mid-Atlantic ridge - a long, unbroken mountain chain of undersea volcanoes) brought more and more support to the idea of continental drift. In the 1960s several scientists published papers that reviewed the evidence that had been gathered for the theory of continental drift and it soon came to be known as the theory of plate tectonics.

A good simple picture of what we're dealing with is here:

tectonic plates map and details

Here is a cool map of plate movement AND volcanic activity:

tectonic_map.jpg (image)

Again, there are many unknowns about the earths core, the magnetic fields and the earths mantle but there are some really good plausible theories out there. The more we understand the less we need to be superstitious about how the earth works and we can understand why there are sometimes major violent events.

 
Old 04-15-2010, 09:09 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,714,521 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Like some have stated before in this forum - there are many things in the universe and even right here on earth that science doesn't understand.

Certainly everything isn't understood about earthquakes, but so much has been learned in that last 100 years - since Alfred Wegener noticed that all of the continents seemed to fit together like the pieces of a giant puzzle (in 1912) and theorized that all dry land was originally one big supercontinent (which he named Pangea). He was basically laughed off as a crackpot. Even after a scientist named Arthur Holmes suggested (in in 1929) that Alfred may be on to something and theorized the movement of convection currents in the mantle could cause an upwelling beneath the crust, forcing it to break apart and move - the idea was still shelved (scientists are TRAINED to be skeptical ).

Over the next 30 years discoveries that were made under the oceans - (mainly the mid-Atlantic ridge - a long, unbroken mountain chain of undersea volcanoes) brought more and more support to the idea of continental drift. In the 1960s several scientists published papers that reviewed the evidence that had been gathered for the theory of continental drift and it soon came to be known as the theory of plate tectonics.

A good simple picture of what we're dealing with is here:

tectonic plates map and details

Here is a cool map of plate movement AND volcanic activity:

tectonic_map.jpg (image)

Again, there are many unknowns about the earths core, the magnetic fields and the earths mantle but there are some really good plausible theories out there. The more we understand the less we need to be superstitious about how the earth works and we can understand why there are sometimes major violent events.
Thank you sir for this well-reasoned, well thought out and eloquent post on the matter. It is much appreciated.
 
Old 04-15-2010, 09:09 PM
 
1,492 posts, read 2,223,669 times
Reputation: 250
interesting facts-some parts of the ocean are far deeper than others,due to tectonic plates.this wasn't known until scientists started studying it.(can't recall what show I saw that on..).also,tectonic plate action is imperative to life on earth.we literally depend on it.
 
Old 04-15-2010, 09:28 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,569,049 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
interesting facts-some parts of the ocean are far deeper than others,due to tectonic plates.this wasn't known until scientists started studying it.(can't recall what show I saw that on..).also,tectonic plate action is imperative to life on earth.we literally depend on it.
What's interesting too is that I lived right on Balcones fault (Texas) for the majority of my 53 years and never have I once experienced any movement of the ground. I'm sure it will FREAK ME OUT the first time it happens! Almost unbelievable though that I sit on a piece of crust which makes up less than 1% of Earth's volume, floating on top of a huge layer of seething magma and yet have never experienced any perceptible motion!

What's seems more unusual to me than the earthquakes we have is how stable the surface actually is at this time - considering all the factors involved.
 
Old 04-15-2010, 09:37 PM
 
1,492 posts, read 2,223,669 times
Reputation: 250
we had a series of 4 small eq's here back in '06,ranging from 1's to two 2.8's...I had NO idea they actually made a noise,other than rumbling..which I didn't hear at all.It was really strange...I was at my computer and it was clear out,yet there was what sounded like a large lightening strike..sort of like 2 bells clanging together.I looked out and saw nothing,felt nothing.Then the doorframe popped,actually it was quite a large popping noise,like the house was settling,which I also thought was weird.I didn't know it was an eq till later.
 
Old 04-16-2010, 07:23 AM
 
5,416 posts, read 4,663,138 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
How true??? because no one would notice the Earth moving, underneath their feet...right???
If the number, frequency and/or occurrences of these earthquakes were "usual", then there would be no speculation about "all these earthquakes". Furthermore, there would be no experts coming out to dispel what people are speculating about if everything is par for the course.
 
Old 04-16-2010, 07:32 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,714,521 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
If the number, frequency and/or occurrences of these earthquakes were "usual", then there would be no speculation about "all these earthquakes". Furthermore, there would be no experts coming out to dispel what people are speculating about if everything is par for the course.
All the increased attention about earthquakes has a direct correlation to the one that just occurred in Haiti just like Katrina created increased interest in hurricanes and the great Tsunami of 2004 also increased interest in earthquakes and big waves. Also the countless subsequent documentaries on these subjects will NOT let them die.

If technology was not what it was today, the frequency would still be the same, but there would be less knowledge and less yapping about them.
 
Old 04-16-2010, 07:45 AM
 
5,416 posts, read 4,663,138 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
If technology was not what it was today, the frequency would still be the same, but there would be less knowledge and less yapping about them.
That's simply your opinion, as we have no way of knowing the number, frequency and occurrences of earthquakes centuries ago. Even within the past one hundred years, technology has gotten better and better to more accurately detect earthquakes; therefore, even the experts have to speculate on what was "normal" 100 years ago because the technology was not as advanced as it is today. If there are more sensors to detect earthquakes today, how could anyone possibly make an assertion that our activity today is the same as years past? This argument about the advancement of technology is turned back on them.
 
Old 04-16-2010, 08:10 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,714,521 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
That's simply your opinion, as we have no way of knowing the number, frequency and occurrences of earthquakes centuries ago. Even within the past one hundred years, technology has gotten better and better to more accurately detect earthquakes; therefore, even the experts have to speculate on what was "normal" 100 years ago because the technology was not as advanced as it is today. If there are more sensors to detect earthquakes today, how could anyone possibly make an assertion that our activity today is the same as years past? This argument about the advancement of technology is turned back on them.
So if we follow your argument, how do we know they are INCREASING today? You must be basing your conclusion on some findings.
 
Old 04-16-2010, 08:19 AM
 
5,416 posts, read 4,663,138 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
So if we follow your argument, how do we know they are INCREASING today? You must be basing your conclusion on some findings.
The onus is on you. I live by faith and by the Word of God, so I don't have to explain things from scientific evidence. I look at all these things, i.e., the moral decline, Israel's regathering, wars, earthquakes, famines, pestilences, etc..., coming together at once, and I know Jesus is at the door. I put complete faith in thus saith the Lord. Jesus said there would be great earthquakes and fearful things coming upon the earth, so that's all I need to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top