U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2010, 05:57 PM
 
6,230 posts, read 9,513,066 times
Reputation: 7520

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You need to lighten up a bit there allen...This is a forum, and you will find many here that disagree with you, but that doesn't mean they are attacking you...I have followed this thread and the one that was locked and have seen nothing presented to indicate that earthquakes are on the increase...I of course do not subscribe to the paranoia ( I don't know how else to describe it) that is called the end times or the rapture, and cannot understand why anyone would want to.... What is the point of trying to accomplish anything in this life with a belief like that?
Moderator cut: peronal and off topic

What you were talking about how the extreme weather forum got locked and you didn't see any evidence that earthquakes were on the increase. We never got anywhere because all the atheist ever posted were USGS stats, sarcastic comments, and speculation from scientist which never proved anything because the year is not over to compare to the previous years anyway. Besides that, what I was trying to say was that all you needed was common sense to figure out everything for yourself. There was a comment I read on CNN from a 55-year old woman that said in her 55 years on Earth she had never heard of so many earthquakes occurring than now. She said she was not even a christian but that what the bible was saying seemed to be true from that standpoint.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-19-2010 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: personal attacks not allowed use report function to report attacking posts

 
Old 04-18-2010, 07:36 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,037 posts, read 30,676,322 times
Reputation: 12213
So, you trust a 55 year old woman who watches CNN more than the actual facts? Are you really that desperate to believe in the rapture that you ignore facts?

I think the reason the other thread got locked is more to do with someones uncontrolled temper rather than anyone posting statistics. As you say the year is not over, but there will have to be a lot more quakes than there has been so far to make it an above average year, quake wise.
 
Old 04-18-2010, 07:43 PM
 
6,230 posts, read 9,513,066 times
Reputation: 7520
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So, you trust a 55 year old woman who watches CNN more than the actual facts? Are you really that desperate to believe in the rapture that you ignore facts?

I think the reason the other thread got locked is more to do with someones uncontrolled temper rather than anyone posting statistics. As you say the year is not over, but there will have to be a lot more quakes than there has been so far to make it an above average year, quake wise.
Who said I trusted her?! Why do you always try to put your own words into what I say? I never said I ignored facts either! I said look to your own common sense! I notice some people are always quoting USGS without their own educated guess about what's going on. If I wasn't a Christian and never read the bible, I still would have taken an educated guess that there is an increase in earthquakes. I don't get what people aren't getting!

P.S. - How do you know she watches CNN?! There were over 200 comments from various people of religions and beliefs commenting on one of their stories on the website. I don't watch CNN either. I go their website at least once or twice a week to read comments on the latest major story and that's it. I don't see where you gathered your information from. Her experience is just as credible as a scientists'. For older people, I believe it was called "life experience". But I never said I was trusting her. I was just using her as a reference. To make a point.

As for the other thread, it was also due to the everlasting sarcastic and antagonizing comments from atheist. You guys are all alike and very obvious. Very arrogant and sarcastic comments about everyone else who actually has a religion and your so proud of the fact you don't. Great. Good for you. Don't chastise us. We just tell of what the bible says. If you didn't like it, why do you keep coming on the "christian" forums? This is something I don't get. If I didn't believe in something I would not go and mingle with people who believe the exact opposite. This is bound for relentless arguments. And as for my temper, I admit I went overboard a few times but I feel like sometimes it was rightly deserved. I don't have to go into the arguments we had because you know them already. You were one of them involved. But it is what it is. Me and the rest of Christians will continue telling things just like the bible tells us and you continue to have a problem with it.

Last edited by allenk893; 04-18-2010 at 07:59 PM..
 
Old 04-18-2010, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,566,813 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
If I wasn't a Christian and never read the bible, I still would have taken an educated guess that there is an increase in earthquakes. I don't get what people aren't getting!
You are making a statistical claim about physically verifiable events. Produce the verifiable data about your claims and they will be proven true. Fail to do so and they will be proven false.

I don't get what people aren't getting about this!
 
Old 04-18-2010, 07:56 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 4,415,028 times
Reputation: 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Moderator cut: edit There was a comment I read on CNN from a 55-year old woman that said in her 55 years on Earth she had never heard of so many earthquakes occurring than now. She said she was not even a christian but that what the bible was saying seemed to be true from that standpoint.
Here's the center of my vigilance:

Since the beginning of creation...no other time/era can compare to the knowledge (science/high technology) accomplished in the 20th century (all of us here happened to be born in the 19 hundreds) to the present; from electricity to one key stroke (without leaving your seat) to find answers through every search-engine websites for ALL questions! Without the hated word DOOMSDAY!

To me... this alone already fulfills Daniel's prophesy in
Chapter 12:4 But thou Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, AND KNOWLEDGE SHALL BE INCREASED.

I believe...we are finally in agreement on this and should be vigilant?

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-19-2010 at 11:00 AM..
 
Old 04-18-2010, 08:10 PM
 
6,230 posts, read 9,513,066 times
Reputation: 7520
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
You are making a statistical claim about physically verifiable events. Produce the verifiable data about your claims and they will be proven true. Fail to do so and they will be proven false.

I don't get what people aren't getting about this!
It's not a statistical claim! It's common sense! Good lord! Without data, without quotes from scientist, without quoting the bible, what does your common sense tell you!? Make a hypothesis for heaven's sake!

Then when the year is up, collect all the data from your hypothesis, compare it to the recorded facts from USGS, then talk like the guy with the big draws! Lord have mercy some people never get it!
 
Old 04-18-2010, 08:16 PM
 
6,230 posts, read 9,513,066 times
Reputation: 7520
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post
Here's the center of my vigilance:

Since the beginning of creation...no other time/era can compare to the knowledge (science/high technology) accomplished in the 20th century (all of us here happened to be born in the 19 hundreds) to the present; from electricity to one key stroke (without leaving your seat) to find answers through every search-engine websites for ALL questions! Without the hated word DOOMSDAY!

To me... this alone already fulfills Daniel's prophesy in
Chapter 12:4 But thou Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, AND KNOWLEDGE SHALL BE INCREASED.

I believe...we are finally in agreement on this and should be vigilant?
I'm cool with it. I never denied it.
 
Old 04-18-2010, 08:19 PM
 
5,500 posts, read 4,415,028 times
Reputation: 5146
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm cool with it. I never denied it.
allen...I chose your op to quote...to actually strengthen it...vigilance is indeed a virtue...it very possible that he is now at the door
 
Old 04-18-2010, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
8,435 posts, read 8,386,559 times
Reputation: 1690
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I am not so sure Isaiah 66:8 is saying any such thing. If it is, it sure does not seem to be speaking about our times because further down the chapter, it speaks of relatively primitive ways of life (horses, mules and camels) bringing Gentiles to the temple of god. A prophecy for 2,500 years ago while the Jews were scattered around the immediate area, primarily Babylon? Yes. The 21st century? Seems unlikely.

As for Micah 5:3, the CONTEXT of the passage gives us a clue to the time frame here. Verse 5 tells us that this prediction was made during the time of the Assyrian threat to Judah, as Micah was a prophet during the time of King Hezekiah of Judah whose kingdom was under siege by the Assyrians. The Assyrians had already displaced the people of the northern kingdom of Israel, scattering them all over their empire. Clearly, this prophecy has nothing to do with Israel today.





Again, based on the context of history and the writer's own experience, he appears to be speaking of an anticipated return of Israel from the nations of the immediate area of that time. The writer, in the latter chapters, seemed to have believed the expected restoration of Israel would usher in a time when Jerusalem would become the center of worship for all the world.

That being said, it is again clear the th writer was writing about a time in the future close to his time, but NOT 2,400 years in the future into our times. Why? Well in chapter 38 and 39, he speaks of enemies invading Israel on horses, using swords, spears and arrows. This is hardly the type of image that comes to one's mind in 21st century warfare.




At the time of the writing, the writer was POSSIBLY a captive in Babylon. The Jews did return to Judah and regained their capital city of Jerusalem. I am not so sure he was envisioning events almost 3,000 years later. Remember, the Jews after the Babylonian captivity (when the Old Testament books were finally compiled) really believed the world, as they knew it, was about to ensue in war with god rising up to judge the nations and then restoring Israel to glory.




The New Testament writers ALSO believed they were living in the last days just as heir Old Testament predecessors did.



AGAIN, this is expected with the increase in seismic meters placed all around the globe. The more of them you have and the more complex detection in place, the more earthquakes will be registered.




Food shortages and famines have ALWAYS been an issue on earth coming from bad harvests, wars and natural disasters. Nothing new there.



Again, nothing new and with an exploding population, there are LESS resources in some cases and human greed and exploitation has done its share to create other problems.



My head hurts. Lots of cookie cutter writing that takes some serious liberties with the bible to make up things that are not really there. That's MY opinion.
I will second that opinion. Most (if not all) of these OT predictions already came to fruition and they have to invent a two part fulfillment.
 
Old 04-19-2010, 03:14 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,566,813 times
Reputation: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
It's not a statistical claim! It's common sense! Good lord! Without data, without quotes from scientist, without quoting the bible, what does your common sense tell you!? Make a hypothesis for heaven's sake!

Then when the year is up, collect all the data from your hypothesis, compare it to the recorded facts from USGS, then talk like the guy with the big draws! Lord have mercy some people never get it!
Your talking about ideas and beliefs, not what is actually happening.

Look - first establish that things are (quote) "getting crazy". Then we can hypothesize why.

I'm sure IF an earthquake destroyed half the world tomorrow the end timers would hypothesize it is a biblical sign from God and atheists will still hypothesize that it's just a natural (although unprecedented and crazy) event.

What we DON'T hypothesize about is something that isn't happening (more/bigger earthquakes) etc. When the raw data shows that something crazy is happening THEN we can talk about the unknowns and personal conclusions.

Your post shows that you are just going with what you think - which is fine - think whatever you want, but you can't just make up stuff about literal physical verifiable events - it doesn't work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top