Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 01:29 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,161 times

Advertisements

As God was raining down one judgement after another upon Egypt, Pharaoh was hard-hearted and would not allow God's people to be set free. After the LORD killed the firstborn of all in Egypt, Pharaoh finally conceded to let God's people go. However, afterward, Pharaoh sent his army after the Jews because he was hard-hearted -- and God swallowed them all up in the Red Sea.

Sadly, some people resist God to their own demise.

Revelation 16
7 And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments.
8 And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.
9 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.
10 And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,
11 And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds

Last edited by june 7th; 04-19-2010 at 09:25 AM..

Old 04-15-2010, 03:50 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,161 times
The point I am making is that no matter what God is doing people will try to dismiss it -- and to their own demise. If these earthquakes were "usual", then no one would be noticing them.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:22 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
[quote=Ilene Wright;13754202]
Quote:

Your post seems to be directed at me for some strange reason so I will address it. I will politely and curiously ask you the same thing.....did you read and consider any of my link? Because it is in no way, shape or form misleading. It simply speaks of how prophetically important earthquakes and volcanoes are and what we will be seeing and experiencing according to the Bible within the growing "birth pains". Mark my words Rifleman, it will get worse.
Well, Ilene, I simply asked since you had provided your link. That link provides very erroneous information, coupled with speculation. But as for fact? They are wrong. There's no prophecy for increasing earthquakes, and even if there were, that's not happening. Doesn't it bother you that some who you trust on faith would try to tell you they are, when they aren't?? Pack makes a lot of careful statements, but then quickly flips over into absolutes about God's role and that there are increasing earthquakes. Simply not so. You can check on the veracity of the contradictory data in my link.

And so I also wondered if you'd read the link I provided. It's comprehensive and with checkable credentials. It's even a Christian site. Mark my words, Ilene: as per the data collected by the world's seismologists, the number of earthquakes has decreased in recent years. So, what different data might you be referencing to claim they are increasing? Or that "things will get worse"? Are you actually hoping for The End Times?

Two points I made, quite simply:

1) the frequency and severity of earthquakes is actually decreasing, not increasing.

2) the bible did not make any prophecies about increasing earthquakes prior to the End Times. Within the End Times, yes, but not before.

And finally, another cut & paste from the link that clarifies their well supported perspective:

Quote:
The only statement which might suggest an increase in famine and earthquake activity is the final clause, "But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs (hwdíneß)" (Matt. 24:8). Because birth pains begin small and then increase in intensity and frequency, this passage could be interpreted to mean that earthquakes will start small and infrequent and gradually increase. When they reach their greatest severity and frequency, they will give birth to the new age. But is this the correct way to interpret this clause? If so, the lack of seismic increase we have noted above would confirm that Jesus' return is not near. This would then contradict the many biblical statements that it is near!
So one last time, I'm curious what your's or the OP's point might be, again remembering that those earthquakes are in fact happening less and less. Just because the world's news reporting system reports on each and every one of them now versus twenty years ago, that only shows that CNN etc. are on the ball and love a good "catastrophe" story. Right?

In other words, let's not read into things.

Last edited by rifleman; 04-15-2010 at 05:44 PM..

Old 04-15-2010, 05:26 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
The point I am making is that no matter what God is doing people will try to dismiss it -- and to their own demise. If these earthquakes were "usual", then no one would be noticing them.
Precisely! I wish I could give you a rep for that. It's so true. I wish I would have addressed that in my past arguments with others.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:42 PM

271 posts, read 393,901 times
Quote:
How true??? because no one would notice the Earth moving, underneath their feet...right??? I also like how you placed that veiled threat into your post("their own demise") just for good measure,eh...It never amazes me the length to what some people will go to, in order to make their self feel vindicated. An interesting quote I read today from the late great,Charles Schultz, goes a little something like this:"Don't worry about the end of the world coming today. It's already tomorrow in Australia".

Old 04-15-2010, 05:49 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbskull View Post
How true??? because no one would notice the Earth moving, underneath their feet...right??? I also like how you placed that veiled threat into your post("their own demise") just for good measure,eh...It never amazes me the length to what some people will go to, in order to make their self feel vindicated. An interesting quote I read today from the late great,Charles Schultz, goes a little something like this:"Don't worry about the end of the world coming today. It's already tomorrow in Australia".
Or in Solomon's island...

Old 04-15-2010, 06:01 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,915,172 times
Default Over-reactions.

Quote:
And my point is that if you try to make a false point by exaggerating non-existent "evidence", what are you guilty of? Do you selectively believe anything that even hints at End Times prophecy, even if it's not true?

The TV and Internet news system is currently sensitized to global geo-technical and climatic disasters as well as coal mining catastrophies. But there have been other periods, duly recognized and documented, where, for example, tornadoes or hurricanes occurred in "clusters". It happens in nature all the time. We were all told that the Katrina flood was "a sign from God", and the ensuing later flood nearby was just another confirmation that the End Times were soon upon us. So how long ago was that now?

Because the following year, despite quavering lips and fearful anticipation, we experienced one of the quietest annual tornado & hurricane seasons on record. And again this year. Why didn't you provide commentary on that fact?

Next: a coincidental volcanic event in Iceland, directly upwind of Europe.. So? Despite that this rather mild volcanic eruption happened to place some ash into the very busy downwind European air corridors, and that they wisely chose to simply limit flights for a day or so to reduce abrasive particle damage to airborne jet engines, where's the catastrophic event here? It seems to be simply preventative. Remember the event a few years back when that trans-Pacific flight nearly crashed due to it having inadvertently flown through a volcanic ash cloud? Why duplicate that when you can now predict and prevent?

This sort of transient preventative air travel limitation, often when the plane is en-route in orderto simply bypass ash clouds happens, often in Alaska (Mt. Redoubt), has happened a few times near Mt. St. Helen's, and also around the Mediterranean. Cause for the gnashing of teeth and dire predictions? Not so much. Avoidance is just logic and common-sense.

Hardly End-Times stuff.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:25 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,567 times
Quote:
As God was raining down one judgement after another upon Egypt, Pharaoh was hard-hearted and would not allow God's people to be set free. After the LORD killed the firstborn of all in Egypt, Pharaoh finally conceded to let God's people go. However, afterward, Pharaoh sent his army after the Jews because he was heard-hearted -- and God swallowed them all up in the Red Sea.

Sadly, some people resist God to their own demise.

Revelation 16
7 And I heard another out of the altar say, Even so, Lord God Almighty, true and righteous are thy judgments.
8 And the fourth angel poured out his vial upon the sun; and power was given unto him to scorch men with fire.
9 And men were scorched with great heat, and blasphemed the name of God, which hath power over these plagues: and they repented not to give him glory.
10 And the fifth angel poured out his vial upon the seat of the beast; and his kingdom was full of darkness; and they gnawed their tongues for pain,
11 And blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores, and repented not of their deeds

Bless you.....let's keep it flowing!

Old 04-15-2010, 07:59 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Bless you.....let's keep it flowing!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:03 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
And my point is that if you try to make a false point by exaggerating non-existent "evidence", what are you guilty of? Do you selectively believe anything that even hints at End Times prophecy, even if it's not true?

The TV and Internet news system is currently sensitized to global geo-technical and climatic disasters as well as coal mining catastrophies. But there have been other periods, duly recognized and documented, where, for example, tornadoes or hurricanes occurred in "clusters". It happens in nature all the time. We were all told that the Katrina flood was "a sign from God", and the ensuing later flood nearby was just another confirmation that the End Times were soon upon us. So how long ago was that now?

Because the following year, despite quavering lips and fearful anticipation, we experienced one of the quietest annual tornado & hurricane seasons on record. And again this year. Why didn't you provide commentary on that fact?

Next: a coincidental volcanic event in Iceland, directly upwind of Europe.. So? Despite that this rather mild volcanic eruption happened to place some ash into the very busy downwind European air corridors, and that they wisely chose to simply limit flights for a day or so to reduce abrasive particle damage to airborne jet engines, where's the catastrophic event here? It seems to be simply preventative. Remember the event a few years back when that trans-Pacific flight nearly crashed due to it having inadvertently flown through a volcanic ash cloud? Why duplicate that when you can now predict and prevent?

This sort of transient preventative air travel limitation, often when the plane is en-route in orderto simply bypass ash clouds happens, often in Alaska (Mt. Redoubt), has happened a few times near Mt. St. Helen's, and also around the Mediterranean. Cause for the gnashing of teeth and dire predictions? Not so much. Avoidance is just logic and common-sense.

Hardly End-Times stuff.
Thank you sir for this well-reasoned, well thought out and eloquent post on the matter. It is much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity