Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:40 PM

672 posts, read 662,548 times

Advertisements

katz:

Quote:
What verse says this? I can't give you a single solitary verse that says it,
Ok then, it would be wise to stick with what Jesus said, and He said Matt 11:

28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

That did not fit the character of all He came into contact with in Israel. i.e example lk 18:

9And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

10Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.

11The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.

12I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.

13And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

14I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

Now, both are sinners, but which one fits the character to which Matt 11 28 would be referencing.

Last edited by savedbysovereigngrace; 04-19-2010 at 01:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 12:59 PM

162 posts, read 211,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savedbysovereigngrace View Post
Jesus said to all that were burdened and heavy ladened to come, not for all to come.

matt 11:28

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Now can you please show us what scripture says that all sinners are sensible like this.
We are on the same page. It's why I said the message was for only those who had ears to hear. Not all sinners know the weight of their sins, but those who are convicted and called by the Holy Spirit indeed feel the heavy burden.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airō View Post
We are on the same page. It's why I said the message was for only those who had ears to hear. Not all sinners know the weight of their sins, but those who are convicted and called by the Holy Spirit indeed feel the heavy burden.
Ok then now you realize that Jesus does not call all sinners to Himself, only some.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Ok then now you realize that Jesus does not call all sinners to Himself, only some.
All sinners have at their disposal the knowledge of God revealed through creation. The Gospel message is available to everyone exposed to it. But only those made of fertile soil will receive the message with noble hearts. And only those who God has called will come.

However, we do not know who God has called, so it is ever important not to stifle the call of the Gospel like in messages in the OP. The OP is for everyone who opens this thread, for everyone who watches the 2 minute message, and for everyone who responds to the message, God will get all the glory and His will will be fulfilled in that individual.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:27 PM

airo:

Quote:
All sinners have at their disposal the knowledge of God revealed through creation.
All sinners do not fit matt 11:

28Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Quote:
And only those who God has called will come.
Right, and God does not call all sinners, the ones He calls are called the called ! rom 8:28

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

rom 9:

24Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Old 04-19-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
airo:

All sinners do not fit matt 11:

Right, and God does not call all sinners, the ones He calls are called the called ! rom 8:28

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

rom 9:

24Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
I agree, not all sinners fit Matthew 11 because not all sinners realize their depravity. Romans 1 makes this clear when God gave them over to reprobate minds. Nevertheless, for our purposes as evangelists, we make the call to all for we do not know who God has elected. But who He has elected will indeed come - not one more, not one less. Our job is to go out and sow seeds to every heart, regardless of the soil, because we do not know which ones are fertile.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:56 PM

airo:

Quote:
I agree, not all sinners fit Matthew 11 because not all sinners realize their depravity
Right, and Jesus called those during His public Ministry who did, and after that, He sent the Holy Spirit to show those whom He called their depravity.

It takes a work of God in a person before they realize their depravity, its called being born again.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:57 PM

airo:

Quote:
All sinners have at their disposal the knowledge of God revealed through creation.
God did not design creation to convict men of sin.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
airo:

God did not design creation to convict men of sin.
Of course He didn't, but it doesn't change the fact man is without excuse:

Romans 1 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:15 PM

airo:

Quote:
Of course He didn't,
Ok then, you bringing that comment up had no relevance at all to the discussion.

God makes His people sensible sinners by a work of the Holy Spirit in them..blessed are them that mourn [ for sin] for they shall be comforted.

Matt 5:3-4

Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.

3Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity