U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:23 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,447,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
To many christians seem to think homosexuality and lesbianism is the unforgivable sin, it is not, they are sins just like any other sin...they can be forgiven, but the sinner needs to recognize the fact that it is a sin and that they need to repent of it and do a 180 turn from it...we were no more designed to be gay than we were designed to be fornicators or adulterers or thieves or murderers...get the picture?...
Who in this thread said homosexuality is "the unforgiveable sin"???

It's far from unforgiveable. However, a Christian struggling with homsexuality (or any sin) would not be in a steady, gay relationship for 8 years. And, a person with the Holy Spirit would not live a lie on top of it, and upon coming out with the truth, have no sense of remorse for the lying (let alone the homosexuality) and make no apologies.

Everyone sins, even Christians. The difference between Christians and non-Christians is that a Christian becomes grieved by the Holy Spirit when he or she sins. A Christian will, out of love for the Lord, be remorseful for sinning. Those without Christ will hardly recognize sin as sin, and if they do, they have no need to be remorseful, and they will react with a "Oh well, no big deal" response and move right along.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-17-2010 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: you continue to derail your own thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:11 AM

4,346 posts, read 5,565,954 times
Apparently she quit Christian music at the height of her popularity to sort everything out. Now she's made her decision and is being totally honest about it.

Most likely she was a very devoted young Christian girl who was fighting homosexual tendencies as she grew up and became successful and then went into self exile as she battled to come to grips with it all.

Your attempt to paint her as evil and deceptive is beyond ridiculous.

Anyone can read this thread and realize who's operating in what spirit.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:53 AM

3,893 posts, read 9,361,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Those without Christ will hardly recognize sin as sin, and if they do, they have no need to be remorseful, and they will react with a "Oh well, no big deal" response and move right along.

]
So, anyone who sees this situation differently than you do is "without Christ"? You also know how people with whom you disagree will feel and what they will do?

You argument loses credibility because of statements like this.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:17 AM

1,860 posts, read 4,337,732 times
First, I find the title of the thread somewhat amusing; I wouldn't really consider her a 'CCM star', she had one so-so album w/a couple of decent songs back in 2000, and she sounds exactly like Jewel. I was never a really big fan of her's to begin with.

As to her coming out of the closet, that's between her & God. I'm not going to be the one that has to stand before Him w/her sins, I have enough to worry about w/my own faults and repenting of those and doing my best to walk w/God. I did read though where she said she continues to consider herself to be a Christian and believe the Bible, but 'just has issues w/the scripture that condemns homosexuality'. Sorry Jennifer, that's an oxymoron, if you believe Jesus is who He said he was - the Son of the Living God - by default, how can you not accept scripture in it's entirety? Jesus used the very Scriptures you are questioning time and time again, and as the Bible says, came to fulfill all the prophecies that fill the Old Testament pages. We can so easily be deceived, I know for much of my life, I just picked & chose what was 'convenient' or fit my lifestyle from the Bible to justify my actions whether they were right or wrong.

Also, how come the CNN's of the world only report these types of stories regarding Christians?? First off, I don't recall them ever writing an article about her when she was performing a decade or so ago and releasing her album - in fact, I can't hardly ever remember reading an article about any Christian artist in the mainstream media; yet the minute she comes out of the closet, it's headline news?? Where is the flip-side of the story that talks about homosexuals who come to Christ and give up that lifestyle. I have a friend who has an amazing testimony along those lines, yet we never read/hear stories about people like that.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:56 AM

701 posts, read 658,148 times
Amen to that Buckeye. Unfortunately those stories about people turning away from that particular sin, are deemed politically incorrect. BergenCountyJohnny, while agree with you on some points, firstborn888 is right. This girl did seem to do the right thing and stop her public life when she realized the choice she would make. I am sad she made the choice she did, but I respect the way she went about it at least. She is someone who we should all lift up in prayer, that she finds the truth in Christ and in His word, and that she will come to know that no struggle is to big to overcome with His strength.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:57 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,681,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post

Also, how come the CNN's of the world only report these types of stories regarding Christians??

Maybe Christianity should pay attention to that and realize that regulars in Christianity have no effect and ask themselves about that rather than deflecting and blaming CNN.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Maybe Christianity should pay attention to that and realize that regulars in Christianity have no effect and ask themselves about that rather than deflecting and blaming CNN.
That makes no sense, while she wasn't necessarily a star in the Christian music world, she was fairly well-known and performed to thousands of people and sold thousands of albums back in the day w/a message that was Christian-themed - you consider that having 'no effect'?

My point is, for every one of these stories, there are hundreds of other positive/good stories that go unreported. People like Rebecca St. James, who ministers to thousands of girls each year through her music and concerts about being sexually pure; or Jars of Clay who have raised millions of dollars w/their Blood Water Mission organization that builds wells to bring clean drinking water to millions of people in the poorest parts of the country who wouldn't otherwise have access to it, saving countless lives from very preventable diseases that are all caused by dirty water usage, yet they aren't ever on the headlines of CNN.

I'm not just blaming CNN, the news-media in general rarely report the uplifting positive, making a difference type stories; it's always the controversial, shocker stories we get to read about or watch.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
That makes no sense, while she wasn't necessarily a star in the Christian music world, she was fairly well-known and performed to thousands of people and sold thousands of albums back in the day w/a message that was Christian-themed - you consider that having 'no effect'?

My point is, for every one of these stories, there are hundreds of other positive/good stories that go unreported. People like Rebecca St. James, who ministers to thousands of girls each year through her music and concerts about being sexually pure; or Jars of Clay who have raised millions of dollars w/their Blood Water Mission organization that builds wells to bring clean drinking water to millions of people in the poorest parts of the country who wouldn't otherwise have access to it, saving countless lives from very preventable diseases that are all caused by dirty water usage, yet they aren't ever on the headlines of CNN.

I'm not just blaming CNN, the news-media in general rarely report the uplifting positive, making a difference type stories; it's always the controversial, shocker stories we get to read about or watch.

You missed the key word I used, "regulars". Think about it.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
You missed the key word I used, "regulars". Think about it.
I get what you're saying, but 'regulars' aren't in the mainstream media/news for anything - good or bad - it's mainly famous people, which is what I was referring too.

I realize that it is up to people like me who are just your typical Christian person to be the light to the world, b/c that is where the difference is really made, at a personal relationship level.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but 'regulars' aren't in the mainstream media/news for anything - good or bad - it's mainly famous people, which is what I was referring too.

I realize that it is up to people like me who are just your typical Christian person to be the light to the world, b/c that is where the difference is really made, at a personal relationship level.

Yes and if enough of us regulars caused an effect, then CNN would find the ratings better when they reported a positive Christian story.

Fact remains, the regulars have primarily caused Christianity to become a laughing stock and the blame is often shifted to the media or someone like the OP is about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or