U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:50 PM

9,616 posts, read 11,079,568 times

Advertisements

This was so well said, I just have to re-quote it here, with highlights in red. Thx juj! Common sense rears it's ugly head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Jesus said to have faith in Him. He never said to have faith in end-times. Two centuries, as DNick mentioned, folks just like yourself were saying the end-times are here. Since I am writing this post, I have to assume the end-times didn't actually occur. The only reason you think this time it's different is because YOU are alive at the moment and thinking about it. God's time is long and almost unimaginable to us humans. Could this be the end-times? I suppose. I supposed you can prepare yourself for it. It's always good to be good with Jesus. But the question remains, is this the end-times? I don't know. You don't know. That's the reality. And since I am an optimist and the sun still has plenty of hydrogen and there's no object careening toward the Earth at the moment, I will proceed to be a good Christian because it's the right thing to do, but not because I am sitting around waiting for the world to end. Such a dark and pessimistic view of the world. Besides, the Bible says NO ONE knows when their life will end. So be a good Christian and enjoy life and quit worrying about natural cycles of the Earth.
I had to resist just outlining the entire post in red. There were the obvious high points noted, particularly the last one. The Earth is (obviously) always undergoing changes, perturbations, violent and not-so-violent surges. Temperature variations, ice ages, temperate times when Alaska was a steamy jungle, and on and on.

It's only from the limited time-frame and viewpoint of the religious that this is seen as somehow indicating an End to It All. The ancient biblical authors had no basis for thoughtful comparison or analysis. Everything in the mere 100 or so years when they wrote down their own superstitious interpretations, totally absent even the most basic means of scientific (read: logical and step-wise) analysis, was conjecture. Meteors or locusts or earthquakes or solar eclipses, were all absolute signs of impending doom and End-Times.

This is willingly carried into modern times by those who, obviously, and by their own admission, really want those times to come. As an "I told you so!" kind of finger-waggling admonishment. Imagine how hugely disappointed they will be when nothing of the sort happens!

Question: can they actually live a satisfying spiritual life if this entire "promise" is erased from their wish-list? If the entire fear-mongering idea of an End-Times promise is removed? Can they even imagine such a case?

I doubt it. Which is monumentally sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 05:37 PM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,286,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
This was so well said, I just have to re-quote it here, with highlights in red. Thx juj! Common sense rears it's ugly head.
Thanks for the kind words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or