Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:46 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,944,684 times

Advertisements

This kind of statement has come out lately from experts. If they aren't unusual, why is there even a need to even acknowledge them? On more than one occasion, I have heard this statement made.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Do not read into things.

A significant difference is that today we have instant global communication, even from a tiny, remote village on an arid plateau in Tibet. Now, we look down on anything with Google Earth graphics, and we fly CNN in there within a few hours. This has ab-so-loot-lee nothing to do with Godly intent.

Ten years ago, we'd not have heard of it but it would still have happened. The Himalayas are made specifically by the actions of some of the most geologically active movement area in the world, and they are in no way finished, nor will they ever be. (Mt. Everest is rising at a measured ≈4" per year. Proven and documented. That does not happen on it's own, with no other geological consequences!)

In Japan, which is far, more geo-active, there are literally multiple earthquakes each day. When I worked there, I felt them several times a month. I suppose it's God preparing to smite the Shintos, huh?

This Chinese/Tibetan earthquake was located right on a known fault. They even had a fore-shock an hour before, but it was not" interpreted" by anyone.

If anyone wants to read the truth, and how it's been distorted by religious prevaricators, here's THE article. It's fascinating how the results have been skewed and mis-represented, but it's also not surprising. I've added one key quote to summarize the articles, but it's still worth reading, if you care to understand what's really going on out there. (My highlights in red..)

Quote:
"If the popular notion of many prophecy teachers (Lindsey, Missler, Van Impe, Church, Jeffrey, Stearman, Hagee, Lalonde, etc.) is correct, two assertions about twentieth-century earthquakes must be true:
(1) a noteworthy deficiency of big earthquakes existed in the first half of the century,and
(2) an obvious increase in the frequency of big earthquakes occurred since 1950.
These two assertions must be made by prophecy teachers so as to support a notion of the unique "earthquake sign" occurring in the 1990s. Both assertions, we maintain, are false. Using the best earthquake catalog data and statements of seismologists, we have concluded exactly the opposite:
(1) a noteworthy excess of big earthquakes existed in the first half of the century, and
(2) an obvious decrease in the frequency of big earthquakes occurred since 1950."
Or this ground-shaker later in this amazing and fact-filled article.:

Quote:
If earthquakes are not on the increase, then what shall we make of the biblical evidence that earthquakes will increase in the last days? As noted above, Hal Lindsey says that earthquakes will continue to increase "just as the Bible predicts for the last days."50

If earthquakes are not increasing, does this mean that the return of Christ cannot be near? Closer examination of the New Testament evidence will reveal that Lindsey's statement is wrong on both counts. Not only are earthquakes not increasing, but also the biblical text never indicated that they would. The popular conception that an increase of earthquakes in frequency and severity is a key sign of the temporal nearness of the end results from a misreading of the biblical text.

I suppose the perspective of some here, like earthquakes, will be predictable.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:07 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
I've heard that statement made too.......I'm going to post a link that someone else provided in one of my other threads.....I thought it was a very good teaching on biblical earthquakes and volcanoes and how significant they are.

Earthquakes and Volcanoes in Prophecy! (http://www.realtruth.org/wtc_055_100402.html - broken link)

Old 04-15-2010, 08:16 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
Here is another "predictable", "usual" scenario that just happened: FOXNews.com - Volcanic Ash Cloud Halts Flights Across Europe

Old 04-15-2010, 08:43 AM

4,309 posts, read 6,440,687 times
News from Iceland in English - Weather forecast, exchange rates, flight schedule and more - mbl.is

Yeah, pretty usual scenario huh?.......Tell that to the people that are being affected. Want to know what truly ticks Betsey off..in the middle of the tragedy, here's how America (the greedy) is portraying themselves: http://newsarse.com/2010/04/15/20th-...cano-disaster/

Excerpt from article: “I recognize this might be a little soon, and the emotional wounds are still quite raw,” said 20th Century-Fox Vice-president Dwight Schultz III, “But it’s a story we are proud to be able to tell.” WOW!! You think!! America.....she needs prayer! QUICK!!

Last edited by Betsey Lane; 04-15-2010 at 08:52 AM..

Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
The minute the FIRST POST goes up that is even reminiscent of what occurred on the other "Extreme Weather" thread and this one goes. And anyone who attacks, flames, responds with sarcasm, and so forth will be infracted.

I think the OP deserves a fair shot at discussing this topic, but if there's a 'repeat performance' of the last thread, then we're talking infractions and closed thread.

Remember, use the Report Post feature, folks. It's there for a reason.

~June

Last edited by june 7th; 04-15-2010 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-15-2010, 12:14 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
I've heard that statement made too.......I'm going to post a link that someone else provided in one of my other threads.....I thought it was a very good teaching on biblical earthquakes and volcanoes and how significant they are.

Earthquakes and Volcanoes in Prophecy! (http://www.realtruth.org/wtc_055_100402.html - broken link)
As I noted earlier, the link I provided discusses these prophetic events in exacting detail. Here's one of their thoughtful conclusions (again, my highlights in bold red):

Quote:
Our primary concern is with the first part of the discourse, where Jesus warns against being deceived by false Christs or being alarmed at wars, rumors of wars, famines and earthquakes:
And Jesus answered and said to them, "See to it that no one misleads you. For many will come in My name, saying, 'I am the Christ,' and will mislead many. You will be hearing of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not frightened, for those things must take place, but that is not yet the end. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and in various places there will be famines and earthquakes. But all these things are merely the beginning of birth pangs." (Matt. 24:4-8)
Among dispensationalists there are two main interpretations of these verses. As we shall see, neither confirms that earthquakes will increase as the present Church age draws to a close.
In other words, there is literally no factual evidence, either in some imagined increase in the frequency major earthquakes (to the contrary, there are actually fewer of them...), or in their relationship, no matter what frequency, to any biblical pronouncements.

What is apparent is that we now have a significant increase in the size and population of civic centers, and in the actual size and occurrence of villages and city boundaries, coupled with a vastly better array of both numbers and sensitivities of seismic sensor systems. There's currently more sensors around San Francisco, for instance, than there were in the entire world in 1955. And you can imagine what the sensitivity of a modern San Andreas Faultline sensor is compared to some rock and swinging needle in the late '50s. There's no comparison, actually. And yet, the end-timers happily directly compare the old, incomplete data with that of today.

So, thinking logically for a moment, would we expect there to be more recorded seismic events now, in 2010, or in, say, 1960?

Well, this little source of scientific error is not mentioned in the biblical doom-sayer's version. Why would they? It doesn't exactly make their case, so they leave it out.

Again, there's documented evidence that there are now actually fewer seismic events than in the past, not more. and yet, the provided link by Ilene again makes the same erroneous assumptions and mis-claims. Who knowingly wants to be purposefully mislead? Anyone??

Just curious, Ilene... did you read and consider any or of my link? Same question to Betsey. Just politely curious. and if you did, I'd also love to hear your thoughts.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:25 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
They keep saying that. How the earthquakes are unusual. But how much does it really mean each time a new earthquake comes? This why I am waiting to see what happens this summer and the rest of the year as well. I'm not anticipating destruction and disaster on the Earth by any means. However, I want to see what these "experts" have to say when they discover one disaster is coming after the other. How they will explain to the masses.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:31 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,406 times
It ticks me off too,Betsey.(and thanks for the link).

Moderator cut: deleted reference to moderation. I know it's been said to death,but if you have to,invest in or get debate books from the library for good strategy.I'm not really into it myself,but I have read and tried some of the strategies on occasion,and overall,they work. There's more than one way to skin a cat,so to speak.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-16-2010 at 05:38 AM..

Old 04-15-2010, 12:34 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Again, there's documented evidence that there are now actually fewer seismic events than in the past, not more. and yet, the provided link by Ilene again makes the same erroneous assumptions and mis-claims. Who knowingly wants to be purposefully mislead? Anyone??

Just curious, Ilene... did you read and consider any or of my link? Same question to Betsey. Just politely curious. and if you did, I'd also love to hear your thoughts.
Your post seems to be directed at me for some strange reason so I will address it. I will politely and curiously ask you the same thing.....did you read and consider any of my link? Because it is in no way, shape or form misleading. It simply speaks of how prophetically important earthquakes and volcanoes are and what we will be seeing and experiencing according to the Bible within the growing "birth pains". Mark my words Rifleman, it will get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity