U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2010, 11:41 AM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,451,131 times
Reputation: 934

Advertisements

No one claims to have an exact blueprint for the future. As a matter of fact good folks, I strongly urge you to be aware of ANYONE that makes such a claim!!
However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the intensification of "signs" in NATURE, at a level that is hard to miss even by secularist.

Now you can laugh, scoff and mock all you want...that's okay! Nobody said you couldn't, true? True! But EVEN that too...is a "sign" in and of itself! So in all actuality, you are helping to fulfill prophecy, unbeknownst to even yourselves!! How so, you ask? According to the Words of God......this is how you're are part of the plan:


Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts

And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:

But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,

Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?

Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;

As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.

But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen. (King James Version 2Peter 3: 3-18)


OR.........

Having first of all the knowledge that in the last days there will be men who, ruled by their evil desires, will make sport of holy things,

Saying, Where is the hope of his coming? From the death of the fathers till now everything has gone on as it was from the making of the world.

But in taking this view they put out of their minds the memory that in the old days there was a heaven, and an earth lifted out of the water and circled by water, by the word of God;

And that the world which then was came to an end through the overflowing of the waters

But the present heaven and the present earth have been kept for destruction by fire, which is waiting for them on the day of the judging and destruction of evil men.

But, my loved ones, keep in mind this one thing, that with the Lord one day is the same as a thousand years, and a thousand years are no more than one day.

The Lord is not slow in keeping his word, as he seems to some, but he is waiting in mercy for you, not desiring the destruction of any, but that all may be turned from their evil ways.

But the day of the Lord will come like a thief; and in that day the heavens will be rolled up with a great noise, and the substance of the earth will be changed by violent heat, and the world and everything in it will be burned up.

Seeing then that all these things are coming to such an end, what sort of persons is it right for you to be, in all holy behaviour and righteousness,

Looking for and truly desiring the coming of the day of God, when the heavens will come to an end through fire, and the substance of the earth will be changed by the great heat?

But having faith in his word, we are looking for a new heaven and a new earth, which will be the resting-place of righteousness.

For this reason, my loved ones, as you are looking for these things, take great care that when he comes you may be in peace before him, free from sin and every evil thing.

And be certain that the long waiting of the Lord is for salvation; even as our brother Paul has said in his letters to you, from the wisdom which was given to him;

And as he said in all his letters, which had to do with these things; in which are some hard sayings, so that, like the rest of the holy Writings, they are twisted by those who are uncertain and without knowledge, to the destruction of their souls

For this reason, my loved ones, having knowledge of these things before they take place, take care that you are not turned away by the error of the uncontrolled, so falling from your true faith.

But be increased in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. May he have glory now and for ever. So be it.

(Bible in Basic English /2Peter 3: 3-18)



What's the moral of the story you ask? AGAIN according to the Words of God:

Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
(King James Version / Galatians 6: 7-8)



OR.......


Be not tricked; God is not made sport of: for whatever seed a man puts in, that will he get back as grain.

Because he who puts in the seed of the flesh will of the flesh get the reward of death; but he who puts in the seed of the Spirit will of the Spirit get the reward of eternal life. (Bible in Basic English / Galatians 6: 7-8)




Choose today whom you will serve! Choose carefully, choose wisely, but carry on, if you must.....



Betsey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2010, 12:45 PM
 
5,405 posts, read 4,658,268 times
Reputation: 1112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
Now you can laugh, scoff and mock all you want...that's okay! Nobody said you couldn't, true? True! But EVEN that too...is a "sign" in and of itself! So in all actuality, you are helping to fulfill prophecy, unbeknownst to even yourselves!!
That's true. What God speaks comes to pass; you can take it to the bank.

Ezek.12
[25] For I am the LORD: I will speak, and the word that I shall speak shall come to pass; it shall be no more prolonged: for in your days, O rebellious house, will I say the word, and will perform it, saith the Lord GOD.
[26] Again the word of the LORD came to me, saying,
[27] Son of man, behold, they of the house of Israel say, The vision that he seeth is for many days to come, and he prophesieth of the times that are far off.
[28] Therefore say unto them, Thus saith the Lord GOD; There shall none of my words be prolonged any more, but the word which I have spoken shall be done, saith the Lord GOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,671,240 times
Reputation: 12213
Quote:
However, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the intensification of "signs" in NATURE, at a level that is hard to miss even by secularist.

Now you can laugh, scoff and mock all you want...that's okay! Nobody said you couldn't, true? True! But EVEN that too...is a "sign" in and of itself! So in all actuality, you are helping to fulfill prophecy, unbeknownst to even yourselves!! How so, you ask? According to the Words of God......this is how you're are part of the plan:
So......If I tell you that there is absolutely no evidence of any increase in these natural events, am I a scoffer?...The things you are asserting about earthquakes, comets, and now volcanos are just not so Betsy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,451,131 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So......If I tell you that there is absolutely no evidence of any increase in these natural events, am I a scoffer?...The things you are asserting about earthquakes, comets, and now volcanos are just not so Betsy.
I don't know, I'm not God! Are you a scoffer sanspuer? Let your conscience be your guide.........you responded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,038 posts, read 30,671,240 times
Reputation: 12213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsey Lane View Post
I don't know, I'm not God! Are you a scoffer sanspuer? Let your conscience be your guide.........you responded.
Yes...You said (To whom in may concern) I certainly don't think it is in any way mocking of scoffing to point out that all the evidence and records say that you are mistaken when you claim that natural events are increasing...What do you think, after all it's your thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Out of Florida........
4,309 posts, read 5,451,131 times
Reputation: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Yes...You said (To whom in may concern) I certainly don't think it is in any way mocking of scoffing to point out that all the evidence and records say that you are mistaken when you claim that natural events are increasing...What do you think, after all it's your thread.
Again.... you responded. You didn't have to! Leave the games for the children. Your conscience....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 01:58 PM
 
1,139 posts, read 1,486,131 times
Reputation: 186
Okay...I think I shall actually do a bit of mocking......it's these constant ridiculous thoughts, THE END IS NEAR! THE END IS NEAR! is what gives normal Christians a bad name. It's on the verge of lunacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 02:56 PM
 
289 posts, read 260,538 times
Reputation: 199
I think it's very strange for a person to assert "No one claims to have an exact blueprint for the future.", and then immediately proceed to tell us all "this is how you're part of the plan".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 13,913,395 times
Reputation: 6875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyfor View Post
I think it's very strange for a person to assert "No one claims to have an exact blueprint for the future.", and then immediately proceed to tell us all "this is how you're part of the plan".
Sure seems strange, doesn' it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 03:22 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,708,938 times
Reputation: 1351
Let me step up to the plate and respond my dear. I am not here to mock but I will scoff at the interpretation of the first passage you stated. I say 'scoff' lightly because I realize that for some around these parts, scoffing = questioning/disagreeing.

First of all, as a HUGE proponent of perspective, let me try to give some here. The passage from II Peter appears to be damage control. The verses seem to indicate that 'scoffers' were already taking the Christian community to task, asking about this Jesus they claimed was supposed to return (pretty much what scoffers have been doing for the past 2,000 years). As a result, the writer goes on the defensive claiming that Jesus had not returned yet (after at least 100 years since he was said to have lived) because god was 'not willing that any should perish' and that one day was as a thousand years in the world of god.

Upon closer observation, a thinking person realizes that mankind has been perishing in mass numbers then and now and far more people have died without 'knowing' the biblical god so this makes no sense. The whole idea that a day is as a thousand years is great for god, but in the human world it is completely illogical.

So why would the writer of II Peter write these seemingly desperate responses? The answer is in I Peter where he (or someone else writing in the Disciples name) tells his audience that the 'end of ALL things is at hand' (I Peter 4:7). That first epistle gives the strong impression that the writer believed he was living in the shadow of the immediate return of Jesus and this is what he wrote to his flock. Clearly, some time went by and Jesus did not return and the 'scoffers' came out of the woodwork to point this out. The passage has NOTHING to do with critics, unbelievers or scoffers 2,000 years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top