U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 06:59 PM

11,825 posts, read 9,828,269 times

Advertisements

From what I've been told it was very accurate portrayal. These verses explain why some would rather focus on something else or bring up some African tribes

1 Corinthians 1:18
"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

1 Corinthians 1:23
"but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles"

Ever wondered why some churches don't have a cross or others refuse to wear a cross necklace but insist they're "Christian"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 02:08 AM

701 posts, read 659,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
From what I've been told it was very accurate portrayal. These verses explain why some would rather focus on something else or bring up some African tribes

1 Corinthians 1:18
"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

1 Corinthians 1:23
"but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles"

Ever wondered why some churches don't have a cross or others refuse to wear a cross necklace but insist they're "Christian"?
I do appreciate the texts you cited, and do agree with your assessment of the movie, however, are you implying that if I am not wearing a crucifix or displaying one somewhere that I am not a true Christian?

Old 04-19-2010, 05:31 AM

6,234 posts, read 9,532,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman123456 View Post
So I just watched the Passion of the Christ for the first time and I was just wondering if any of the religion buffs on here could tell me how accurate this movie is to scripture? the earthquake after he died? did the romans really try to save him? Did a soldier really finish him off while he was still on the cross like that? how much of the movie was Hollywood?

overall I thought the movie was pretty good. I wish Mel Gibson would make another movie picking up where this one left off.

(THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE MOVIE AS COMPARED TO ACTUAL SCRIPTURE NOT IF IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED) So please save that debate for another thread!!!! thanks
I seen it and I have no idea. I saw it in like 2004 which would have made me about 11. I didn't like it. It was kind of scary and gruesome to watch. I also hated how Satan looked in the movie. I know for sure he don't look like that. He looks much worse. It was some bald white man with weird eyes. Come on. They could have done a better job.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:07 PM

425 posts, read 273,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I seen it and I have no idea. I saw it in like 2004 which would have made me about 11. I didn't like it. It was kind of scary and gruesome to watch. I also hated how Satan looked in the movie. I know for sure he don't look like that. He looks much worse. It was some bald white man with weird eyes. Come on. They could have done a better job.
Yeah no kidding Al PAcino in the Corporation ot whatever it was called. Pacino and Deniro play very convincing roles as the devil.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 751 times
That's a legend that a man could resurrect. Why should anyone watch this idiotic stuff? There is no proof that a person called Christ existed. Talmud talks about Yeshua ha-Notsri, but there no proof that story is true. Good movie, but a pretty bad idea. I think Gibson should do his movie about Judah Macabee, but he will use a lot of violence and jews will be portrayed as bloody killers and savages. Even if we were that, it was 2000 years ago, who cares know. I can clear see his is an antisemite and he looks ugly. If I were Oksana I'd even talk to him, a wrinkled old bat=).

Old 09-25-2011, 12:22 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,275,061 times
Anyway as a fairly traditional Catholic I would say there are some things that was probably off or at least not fully justified by the Bible or tradition.

The devil stuff is not in the Bible and I'm not sure the devil baby is in any source.

So far as I know Judas was not assailed by "devil-children", although I suppose this was an "artistic license" way of visualizing his torment. It's also slightly justified as one of the Gospels I think briefly says a devil tormented or influenced Judas. Mostly though I don't think any of the devil stuff in the film is Biblical.

The story with the table I think is clearly meant to "lighten the mood" and I don't think the director is even intending for one to think Mary and Jesus literally had a discussion about the invention of tables. Still I've seen or heard of people who seem to believe that story must actually be in the Bible.

I don't know if Joseph of Arimathea or Nicodemus were actually at the Sanhedrin or purposefully sent away or what. I don't think the Bible or tradition is clear on that. I think he had that to have "good Jewish leader" characters due to the controversy.

Also like many versions it's implied Mary Magdalene was an adulteress. This is not so much wrong as a matter of dispute. The Bible only clearly refers to her as the woman who had "seven demons expelled." So from just a Biblical perspective it's probably wrong. However some early Christians took the demons to be metaphors for the "deadly sins" and indicate adultery or prostitution was an "inner demon" she had. Others say that the adulterer at Jesus's feet is Mary Magdalene due to positioning in the text. However in recent times many feel that's not justified and that it just means what it literally says, that she was possessed or perhaps had a bout of mental illness. In Catholicism I don't think it's been defined either way and I don't know if any Protestant church has a clear definition on whether she was or wasn't an an adulteress or prostitute. So rather than say the depiction is wrong I'm saying this is sort of a "it depends, but if you feel it's wrong that's quite defensible."

Another issue, for some anyway, is that some things in the film are clearly in Catholic-tradition of the story and are not entirely Biblical. How you feel about that varies. I liked that, being Catholic, but I was a tad surprised how many Evangelicals seemed to embrace a clearly core "Catholic tradition" vision of the Passion. One that, perhaps, owed a great deal to the Stations of the Cross and Catholic (or maybe Lutheran too) Passion-Plays. Also at least some of the work is influenced by the "Dolorous Passion of Christ" which was by a Catholic mystic.

As for Gibson himself, yeah he has turned out to be a bit of a hypocrite with deep emotional problems. Still I do feel the film was likely a sincere attempt to place his Traditionalist-Catholic vision on film. The areas that I think are not justified by that I think might be due too certain personal obsessions he holds and maybe couldn't control.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:32 AM

16,301 posts, read 24,270,775 times
Mel Gibson is a raging unstable bigot in real life. Sure he is talented, but remember this movie was about making money.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:22 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,275,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Mel Gibson is a raging unstable bigot in real life.
Well yes. I wasn't disputing that, I was just trying to be tactful about it. Still Jodie Foster, an atheist like you, is friends with him so I'm guessing he must have other qualities too or their differences would kill that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Sure he is talented, but remember this movie was about making money.
Almost any movie, except some documentaries and maybe a few indies, are in part about making money. Still I do think he took a big enough gamble with "The Passion of the Christ" that it likely did mean something to him. I don't think it was just money. I might be tempted to think that, by the standards of films with that kind of budget, it was largely not about money.

I don't think his vision of things is entirely right, or even precisely sane, but I think he does have some kind of vision. Often it's of an individual man being oppressed, tortured, and/or tormented while holding to some ideal or greater good. If he is doing the story of the Maccabees next that actually does fit in that. And it does fit the story of Jesus or at least does in part. Still the way Gibson emphasizes oppression, torture, and torment in almost all his work (even in something like "Man without a Face") does make it tempting to see something rather dark in him. I mean even if a person didn't know he was riddled with tendencies toward self-destruction, destruction of others, an insanely bigoted father, and ethnic issues of his own.

I mean on the one hand he's just a disappointing, but on the other I think he could be fascinating as a kind of psychological case-study.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:29 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,577,539 times
I would never sit through the film after seeing just a handful of the horrible scenes via internet trailers. I don't know why anyone would want to watch that film.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:31 AM

5,965 posts, read 5,577,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I wonder if you had been crucified if you would want millions of people to flock to an ENTERTAINMENT venue to watch you tortured.

DID anybody have POPCORN?

I'm sure Jesus wants to see that over and over again. If you believe He is ALIVE right NOW, how do you think this makes Him feel?

How much MONEY did MEL make?

Really......

I completely agree with your stance on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or