Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:42 AM

190 posts, read 465,804 times

Advertisements

So I just watched the Passion of the Christ for the first time and I was just wondering if any of the religion buffs on here could tell me how accurate this movie is to scripture? the earthquake after he died? did the romans really try to save him? Did a soldier really finish him off while he was still on the cross like that? how much of the movie was Hollywood?

overall I thought the movie was pretty good. I wish Mel Gibson would make another movie picking up where this one left off.

(THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE MOVIE AS COMPARED TO ACTUAL SCRIPTURE NOT IF IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED) So please save that debate for another thread!!!! thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 01:05 PM

425 posts, read 366,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman123456 View Post
So I just watched the Passion of the Christ for the first time and I was just wondering if any of the religion buffs on here could tell me how accurate this movie is to scripture? the earthquake after he died? did the romans really try to save him? Did a soldier really finish him off while he was still on the cross like that? how much of the movie was Hollywood?

overall I thought the movie was pretty good. I wish Mel Gibson would make another movie picking up where this one left off.

(THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE MOVIE AS COMPARED TO ACTUAL SCRIPTURE NOT IF IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED) So please save that debate for another thread!!!! thanks
I haven't seen it, nor do I plan on doing so.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:41 PM

190 posts, read 465,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Dakota View Post
I haven't seen it, nor do I plan on doing so.
why not?

Old 04-17-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman123456 View Post
why not?
I had my fill with The Last Temptation and yes I am aware at the disparity as far as sticking to "The Story " . For the record Jesus Of Nazareth was as close as I care to go to a Jesus movie. There be somethings that need to be equated within reality of the moment and not Hollywood. I see no point in contributing the Mel's coffer. If anything his movie was a spear in the side of Messiah's body , perhaps Mel is the reincarnate centurion who did the deed. Perhaps that centurion is the one who won the toss for his garment. Sure rings true & history repeats itself as long as the NT is read over and over.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:25 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
...In BOOK of JOHN 18:12 then the band and the captain and officers of the Jews took Jesus and bound him.,,verse 22 ``and when he had thus spoken one of the officers which stood by struck Jesus with the palm of his hand`` John 19 then Pilate therfore took him and scourged him`` .. verse 3 ..they smote Jesus with their hands``in These parts of Book of John the beating on the road to the high priest never happened and the Roman soldier where not as extreme as the movie Passion of the Christ...... In the BOOK of LUKE 22:54 NO beating on the road to the High Priest,, or from the Roman soldiers like the Movie, but they put him on the cross and crucified him.... Luke 23:44 and there was darkness on the earth from the six to the ninth hours of that day and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst`` by the Lord God no doubt.......... In the BOOK of MARK 14; 65... there was no beating on the road to the High Priest ,,,,, ``some began to spit on him and to cover his face and to buffet him and to say unto him Prophecy and the servants did strike him with the palm on their hands..... Luke 15: 19 they smote him on the head with a reed and did spit up on him and bowing their knees worshipped him and crucified him ..........in th BOOK OF MATTHEW 26:67 they did not beat him on the road to the High Priest, ..but at the High Priest house ....`` they spit in his face and buffeted him and others smote him with the palms of their hands``... Matthew 27:26 .. and when Pilate had scourged Jesus he delivered him to be crucified.... verse 29..plattened a crown of thorns and put on his head and took a reed and smote it on his head and crucified him......verse 45 sixth hour to the ninth hour there was darkness all over the land... verse 51.. the veil in the temple was rent in two from the top to the bottom and the earth did quake and the rocks rent ...... and the graves were opened and many bodies of the saints which slept rose and came out of their graves after his resurrection and went into the city and appeared to many.......there was no cat of nine whip in the Bible.....any other beating that the bible does not say come from the Blood stains from the Shroud of Turin for the Movie Passion of Christ........

Old 04-17-2010, 05:11 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,236 times
I wonder if you had been crucified if you would want millions of people to flock to an ENTERTAINMENT venue to watch you tortured.

DID anybody have POPCORN?

I'm sure Jesus wants to see that over and over again. If you believe He is ALIVE right NOW, how do you think this makes Him feel?

How much MONEY did MEL make?

Really......

Old 04-17-2010, 06:14 PM

701 posts, read 800,479 times
Saw the movie and it was rather accurate in its portrayal of things, from a biblical perspective as well as a historical perspective. what people don't understand sometimes is that simply because scripture doesn't go into certain details, doesn't mean that certain things didn't happen. For instance the cat-of-nine whip was not mentioned in scripture, however history and archeology tells us that it was a common instrument in scourging prisoners back then, and therefore makes sense that it was used. As to the extent of the beating, we have plenty of recorded history that tells us how cruel the Romans were generally speaking, and we also have the OT prophecies that spoke of the severity of the beatings He would endure. As to the spear in the side, this did not "finish him off", Christ was already dead when they pierced His side, and that is why water came out with the blood.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:06 PM

Apparently as a right of passage in some African tribes it was custom to take a male put a robe on him as well as a crown of twigs and beat him with a stick. At least that is what I read in a Raphael Patai book called the Messiah texts.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:33 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herefornow View Post
I wonder if you had been crucified if you would want millions of people to flock to an ENTERTAINMENT venue to watch you tortured.

I'm sure Jesus wants to see that over and over again. If you believe He is ALIVE right NOW, how do you think this makes Him feel?
Good point. I did see the movie and I thought it was excellent from a technical standpoint. I also found a lot of the medieval symbolism quite intriguing. I know that the point of the movie was to show the Passion of Christ, but I would have really liked to see a little more about the Resurrection in the end. As it was, I was left with a very heavy heart. I would rather focus on Christ being resurrected and alive.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:36 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,194,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Good point. I did see the movie and I thought it was excellent from a technical standpoint. I also found a lot of the medieval symbolism quite intriguing. I know that the point of the movie was to show the Passion of Christ, but I would have really liked to see a little more about the Resurrection in the end. As it was, I was left with a very heavy heart. I would rather focus on Christ being resurrected and alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity