U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:30 AM

3,115 posts, read 2,280,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juj View Post
Thank you for your understanding. While we are clearly at that point of every religious argument when you have exhausted logic and opinions rest on faith. Thanks again for the respectful conversation. I clearly see that you have a kind heart and that's 90% of the battle. (Oops, I hope I didn't just inspire another works/faith thread, lol)
you've recognized your need for authority?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 07:47 AM
juj

1,657 posts, read 2,288,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Clearly it does to a Catholic. Hey, I have no problem with you guys believing that Peter transferred his authority to the first Pope. I don't believe it ever happened, but I admire the fact that you at least recognize the need for authority.
And by the way, Peter was our first pope. Peter transferred his Authority to the second pope.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:56 AM

2,231 posts, read 4,863,208 times
If you can follow the RCC after reading the Council of Nicea and the Council of Leodicea, it would be very sad indeed. There is enough antisemetic sentiment, and anti Hebraic teaching and following being stated in their Canon's to sink a battleship. I can assure you if the Messiah were alive at the time HE would have wiped the table as clean and swore as much as HE did when he saw the money changers buying and trading on the Sabbath. It is the most condemning piece of known historic literature out there. If you choose to accept it or deny it's absurdity it only speaks poorly of anyone who would tolerate it. It is condemnation of the very thing that the Messiah believed in and taught. How very sad indeed...

Old 05-14-2010, 05:37 PM

21,299 posts, read 20,984,203 times
Quote:
And by the way, Peter was our first pope. Peter transferred his Authority to the second pope.
Whatever...

Irenaes wrote, in about 180 AD, that Peter "founded and organised" the Church at Rome. Whether that is an accurate statement or not, Peter never held the title of Pope. The title was not used at that time, so he couldn't have. There are a lot of problems when you posthumously give someone a title he never held.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:01 PM

701 posts, read 659,877 times
Quote:
And what scriptural text do you have for that assertion?

Old 05-15-2010, 12:04 AM
juj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
And what scriptural text do you have for that assertion?
Here's some text:
Origins of Peter as Pope

Old 05-15-2010, 12:16 AM
juj

Quote:
Whatever...

Irenaes wrote, in about 180 AD, that Peter "founded and organised" the Church at Rome. Whether that is an accurate statement or not, Peter never held the title of Pope. The title was not used at that time, so he couldn't have. There are a lot of problems when you posthumously give someone a title he never held.
Peter never holding the title of "Pope" is correct. But his function was exactly the same. The term came later, but the job is the same. Peter was the Bishop of Rome or the Vicar of Christ. The meaning of the word "pope" is simply an affectionate word for father. "Papa in latin or "pappas" in Greek.

Because the job Peter held is the same as held by the Pope today and every pope between Peter and Pope Benedict XVI, Catholics consider him the first pope.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Because the job Peter held is the same as held by the Pope today and every pope between Peter and Pope Benedict XVI, Catholics consider him the first pope.
I know you do, but I don't, and I don't believe the job he held is the same as is held by the Pope today. I believe that the job he held is the same as is held by a living Prophet today. I guess we're not going to agree on that one, juj.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:52 AM
juj

Quote:
I know you do, but I don't, and I don't believe the job he held is the same as is held by the Pope today. I believe that the job he held is the same as is held by a living Prophet today. I guess we're not going to agree on that one, juj.
Don't you ever go to bed? I didn't expect a reply until tomorrow. lol.

Agreeing with your view on that one? No.

Good Night!

Old 05-15-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Don't you ever go to bed? I didn't expect a reply until tomorrow. lol.

Agreeing with your view on that one? No.

Good Night!
Well, I'm on Mountain Daylight Time so it's just barely midnight. And it's Saturday tomorrow, so I can sleep in! Yea! Goodnight, juj.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or