Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:49 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,718,430 times

Advertisements

Apparently you misread. The Sabbath came BEFORE there was Jews per se. The Sabbath was created for Israel.....the Hebrews. HE (YHVH) instructed that THEY (Israel) would observe this day as it was a shadow picture of what HE (YHVH) did in creation. Heck, it worked for HIM why not US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:59 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,423,957 times
I dont know how anyone could possibly know what the day of the week early Christians or Jews worshiped on was called. I seriously doubt they would worship on any day named for a Roman God. What was our saturday[Saturn] called back then by Jews?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:13 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,718,430 times
We may not know the exact name of the designated day, but for some reason the Jewish people have NEVER changed their worship day (which has always seemed to fall on sundown Friday till sundown Saturday). The pagan based xtians had it changed for them by the Church of Rome and Constantine. That was my main point. It still stands.....

Old 04-29-2010, 02:31 PM

701 posts, read 796,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
According to the cited scripture, the sabbath was for the jews.
Really!? You are still stuck on this huh. Well, then I'll ask again. And who were the Jews? Were they not GOD's PEOPLE? Genesis 2:3 tells me that the Sabbath was around long before even Abraham, let alone his descendants. Genesis 2:3 tells me that the Sabbath was for GOD'S PEOPLE. Isaiah 66:23 makes it clear that in reference to the NEW Heavens and the NEW earth, that sabbath would still be kept. My question to you is this, what is it about the Sabbath, that you dislike so much? Why is their such vehemence against this request of God?

Isaiah 66:23 (King James Version)

23And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:54 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,470,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Really!? You are still stuck on this huh. Well, then I'll ask again. And who were the Jews? Were they not GOD's PEOPLE? Genesis 2:3 tells me that the Sabbath was around long before even Abraham, let alone his descendants. Genesis 2:3 tells me that the Sabbath was for GOD'S PEOPLE. Isaiah 66:23 makes it clear that in reference to the NEW Heavens and the NEW earth, that sabbath would still be kept. My question to you is this, what is it about the Sabbath, that you dislike so much? Why is their such vehemence against this request of God?

Well it might seem to you that the Sabbath was for God's people in general, but scripture says otherwise.

Compare Ex 1:1-7

1 Now these are the names of the children of Israel who came to Egypt; each man and his household came with Jacob: 2 Reuben, Simemon, Levi, and Judah; 3 Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin; 4 Dan, Naphtali, Gad, and Asher. 5 All those who were descendants[a] of Jacob were seventy[b] persons (for Joseph was in Egypt already). 6 And Joseph died, all his brothers, and all that generation. 7 But the children of Israel were fruitful and increased abundantly, multiplied and grew exceedingly mighty; and the land was filled with them.

Compare Ex 31:16-17

16 Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’”

The Children of Israel are the dececdents of Mr. Israel aka Jacob. The Sabbath is a convenant between God and the children of Israel aka the Hebrews or Jews.

The scripture is quite clear on this matter.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:14 PM

20,568 posts, read 19,222,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
wouldn't that also then indicate that we are free the responsibility to refrain from stealing, murdering, and committing adultery?

read Romans 6:15-16 "What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?"
Hi HalfNelson,

That would violate the law of love. Sabbath days are obviously about ceremonial laws.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM

20,568 posts, read 19,222,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I dont know how anyone could possibly know what the day of the week early Christians or Jews worshiped on was called. I seriously doubt they would worship on any day named for a Roman God. What was our saturday[Saturn] called back then by Jews?

Hi Capt. Dan,

We are not even on a Jewish calender. Looks like the SDAs are in a bind on that one as well( as are many Jews).

Old 04-29-2010, 05:23 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,528,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
How true!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi Capt. Dan,

We are not even on a Jewish calender. Looks like the SDAs are in a bind on that one as well( as are many Jews).
Wow! you really need to study your history. The day of the week currently referred to by western civilization as Saturday, is in fact the same day of the week as that given by God to the Israelites when they where in the desert. jews today are still following the same calendar they have used since before Christ. The day of the week that they celebrate today as Sabbath, is the same day of the week that Christ worshipped "as was His custom". that Sabbath day kept by Jews today is the same day that modern day calendars refer to as Saturday. Really!? In a bind? I don't think so! not in the slightest!

Old 04-29-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Well it might seem to you that the Sabbath was for God's people in general, but scripture says otherwise.

Compare Ex 1:1-7

1 Now these are the names of the children of Israel who came to Egypt; each man and his household came with Jacob: 2 Reuben, Simemon, Levi, and Judah; 3 Issachar, Zebulun, and Benjamin; 4 Dan, Naphtali, Gad, and Asher. 5 All those who were descendants[a] of Jacob were seventy[b] persons (for Joseph was in Egypt already). 6 And Joseph died, all his brothers, and all that generation. 7 But the children of Israel were fruitful and increased abundantly, multiplied and grew exceedingly mighty; and the land was filled with them.

Compare Ex 31:16-17

16 Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’”

The Children of Israel are the dececdents of Mr. Israel aka Jacob. The Sabbath is a convenant between God and the children of Israel aka the Hebrews or Jews.

The scripture is quite clear on this matter.
If it was only given to them then what do you make of Genesis 2?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity