Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:11 AM

701 posts, read 800,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Here's a question. Why do you care? Why does it matter to you? Alot of Christians have already given you plenty of scripture to support our reason and you still are arguing with them. What is the point of asking if you don't want to be given an answer? And then you want to debate the ones you are given. Sounds like your fishing for fights to me.
For the same reason you would care if you saw a person going down a dangerous road at night. Not fishing for a fight, but trying to understand what steers people away from the truth of God's word. Please take a look at the following site. Sabbath Day - What Day Is The Sabbath Truth Too many sincere Christians are closing their mind with the attitude of "please don't confuse me with the truth." My reason, love. Love for my fellow Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 07:32 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
A christian worships every day..

Christians meet one or more day a week,to worship together and I doubt God holds it against us which day we choose

Old 04-19-2010, 01:45 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,333,090 times
2 Cor, 6:2

Old 04-19-2010, 02:02 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
For the same reason you would care if you saw a person going down a dangerous road at night. Not fishing for a fight, but trying to understand what steers people away from the truth of God's word. Please take a look at the following site. Sabbath Day - What Day Is The Sabbath Truth Too many sincere Christians are closing their mind with the attitude of "please don't confuse me with the truth." My reason, love. Love for my fellow Christians.
Oh well when you put it like that...I didn't understand what you were trying to do...My bad!

Old 04-19-2010, 06:37 PM

701 posts, read 800,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
A christian worships every day..

Christians meet one or more day a week,to worship together and I doubt God holds it against us which day we choose
Then why do you suppose God was so specific about setting aside a day?

Old 04-19-2010, 07:03 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,027,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Then why do you suppose God was so specific about setting aside a day?
The day that was set aside was the Sabbath day. Those in Christ have entered the Sabbath. That means those in Christ experience the Sabbath every day for it is every day that they must abstain from their former works (works of the flesh). But the day that Jesus rose was on a Sunday and not on the Saturday (Sabbath day).

Old 04-19-2010, 07:34 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,192,740 times
I actually have Saturday set aside as a special day to sit with my kids and read to them. It is what the Jews did, what Jesus did when he went to Synagogue, so I just feel closer to the original folks.

I know a little bit about why Christians worship on SUNday. Maybe because they were trying to separate Christianity from Judaism? Or trying to make it easier for the pagans to accept Christianity, as the pagans already had a lot of "Christian" thought, due to Mithraism and a mish-mash of other pagan religion, on their minds.

I think it's kind of sad. We don't keep any of the original festivals that the Jews had. I believe there is a prophecy about all the nations from around the world celebrating the Jewish festivals in the end. Spiritually, to see and understand why those festivals were kept and what it means to us as Christians, I think it's something worth learning about, at least.

The scriptures say we can fellowship on any day. We carry the Sabbath (rest) with us.

Matthew 18:20. Where two or more are gathered in my name, there I am in the midst of them.

So, it's just me and the kids on Saturday. (small town and I can't find a house church around here)

Old 04-20-2010, 11:49 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
It's kind of interesting to me that this thread was started on a SATURDAY...the Sabbath which OP is proclaiming. According to OP's link....
Quote:
The Sabbath, the Seventh day of the week was set apart by God as a time of rest and spiritual rejuvenation.
....and as a time to start 'discussions' on internet forums.

Quote:
Titus 3:9-11
9But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless. 10Warn a divisive person once, and then warn him a second time. After that, have nothing to do with him. 11You may be sure that such a man is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:58 PM

41 posts, read 118,074 times
Hmm... guess I'm a little different because I worship God every day. I don't believe worship is confined to church buildings or old traditions. Nor do I believe that it is limited to or by services that my pastor leads.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:34 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
I don't know why people here are saying that Sunday was the day chosen because of 1st century apostles. There was no such thing as Sunday during the first century. There still is no such thing as Sunday, in Israel. They go by a completely different calendar. The Hebrew calendar (which is still used in Israel) has months consisting of either 30 or 29 days, and -approximately- 12 months every year. Every 2-3 years there is a whole other month added to the year to make up for the lunar/solar cycle. Sunday does not, and has not, ever existed in the calandar that Jesus and his apostles lived by.

Jesus was also not born on December 25, for the same reason. December didn't exist, and Jesus was born during the equivalent of the winter in Israel, which is approximately springtime in the USA. So theoretically, Christmas should be celebrated somewhere around April or May, and use the revolving lunisolar calendar if you really want to be as accurate as possible.

The Christians invented December 25 to be Christmas in order to obscure the pagan rituals of the Solstice, which celebrate life everlasting. The Christmas tree isn't Christian. Neither is the Easter Bunny.

The short answer is: Most Christians worship on Sunday because it's convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity