Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:04 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
So, then what is your thought on the 4h commandment? God was very specific about what day is to be kept holy. I understand that we can truly worship God every day, but as for keeping a day holy, we can't simply pick one that fits us. You see God never said make the day holy, He said keep it holy, which would indicate that it was already holy and had been for some time. What I find interesting is that I don't know a single bible believing Christian who would knowingly break any of the 10 commandments, with the exception of the only one that starts with the word remember. Why is that?

For He knew.... they would forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:28 PM

45 posts, read 47,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't know why people here are saying that Sunday was the day chosen because of 1st century apostles. There was no such thing as Sunday during the first century. There still is no such thing as Sunday, in Israel. They go by a completely different calendar. The Hebrew calendar (which is still used in Israel) has months consisting of either 30 or 29 days, and -approximately- 12 months every year. Every 2-3 years there is a whole other month added to the year to make up for the lunar/solar cycle. Sunday does not, and has not, ever existed in the calandar that Jesus and his apostles lived by.

Jesus was also not born on December 25, for the same reason. December didn't exist, and Jesus was born during the equivalent of the winter in Israel, which is approximately springtime in the USA. So theoretically, Christmas should be celebrated somewhere around April or May, and use the revolving lunisolar calendar if you really want to be as accurate as possible.

The Christians invented December 25 to be Christmas in order to obscure the pagan rituals of the Solstice, which celebrate life everlasting. The Christmas tree isn't Christian. Neither is the Easter Bunny.

The short answer is: Most Christians worship on Sunday because it's convenient.
Wow, this is quite interesting! I always had my beliefs that Biblical times were different from our time now.....clock and calendar speaking, so I always had my doubts about Christmas and Easter and all the other religious holidays actually being when they are today. I figured we were probably wrong, but I wonder if it really matters?

I teach my son the meanings of the holidays, but we still have a Christmas tree and I still talk about the Easter bunny(although I may not be fond of the whole idea, it's fun for a kid, I guess), but I make sure he knows the TRUE meaning behind the holidays. The only thing "religious" about the Christmas tree is the star we put on top and I tell the story behind that. Why is it someone came up with the tree, anyway? I don't think I ever heard that story? I know how it came about that we exchange gifts and all, but the tree thing eludes me.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:51 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times
From a website about religious tolerance All about the Christmas tree: Pagan origins, Christian adaptation and secular status

Quote:
Many Pagan cultures used to cut boughs of evergreen trees in December, move them into the home or temple, and decorate them. 7 Modern-day Pagans still do. This was to recognize the winter solstice -- the time of the year that had the shortest daylight hours, and longest night of the year. This occurs annually sometime between DEC-20 to 23. They noticed that the days were gradually getting shorter; many feared that the sun would eventually disappear forever, and everyone would freeze. But, even though deciduous trees, bushes, and crops died or hibernated for the winter, the evergreen trees remained green. They seemed to have magical powers that enabled them to withstand the rigors of winter. Not having evergreen trees, the ancient Egyptians considered the palm tree to symbolize resurrection. They decorated their homes with its branches during the winter solstice. 3"The first decorating of an evergreen tree began with the heathen Greeks and their worship of their god Adonia, who allegedly was brought back to life by the serpent Aessulapius after having been slain." 5The ancient Pagan Romans decorated their "trees with bits of metal and replicas of their god, Bacchus [a fertility god]. They also placed 12 candles on the tree in honor of their sun god" 2 Their mid-winter festival of Saturnalia started on DEC-17 and often lasted until a few days after the Solstice.In Northern Europe, the ancient Germanic people tied fruit and attached candles to evergreen tree branches, in honor of their god Woden. Trees were viewed as symbolizing eternal life. This is the deity after which Wednesday was named. The trees joined holly, mistletoe, the wassail bowl and the Yule log as symbols of the season. All predated Christianity. 5

Old 04-26-2010, 07:14 PM

4,309 posts, read 6,439,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Just curious as to why Bible believing Christians worship on Sunday(1st day of the week) vs Saturday(7th day of the week), and what their biblical perspective is on this topic.

Because they forgot, hence; the remember......................

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. (Exodus 20:8)

And I commanded the Levites that they should cleanse themselves, and that they should come and keep the gates, to sanctify the sabbath day. Remember me, O my God, concerning this also, and spare me according to the greatness of thy mercy. (Nehemiah 13:22)

And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the LORD thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the LORD thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day. (Deuteronomy 5:15)

See, for that the LORD hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day. (Exodus 16:29)

Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the LORD, to serve him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant; (Isaiah 56:6)

Also in the fifteenth day of the seventh month, when ye have gathered in the fruit of the land, ye shall keep a feast unto the LORD seven days: on the first day shall be a sabbath, and on the eighth day shall be a sabbath. (Leviticus 23:39)

(A psalm for David, for a remembrance of the sabbath.) O lord, rebuke me not in thy wrath: neither chasten me in thy hot displeasure. (Psalm 38:1)

For thus saith the LORD unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; (Isaiah 56:4)

Me, Betsey, I say strive to keep it, like your life depends on it!!

Old 04-28-2010, 11:11 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,943,161 times
Col. 2
[11] In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
[12] Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
[13] And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
[14] Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
[15] And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
[16] Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
[17] Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

In Galatians, Paul is speaking to those who desire to go back to the law.

Gal. 4
[9] But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?
[10] Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years.
[11] I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

We need to learn what grace is all about. It's not about the food we eat, circumcisions and/or the days we observe -- but it's about putting off the sins of the flesh. The power is in the blood of the Lamb.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:40 PM

7 posts, read 10,377 times
Default Moving The Sabbath To Sunday?

The Catholic church is the one that started this observance. We should try to keep everyday Holy in the eyes of God. In 1John 5: 1-4 it states that if we love God then we will keep His commandments, not the ones we choose to keep, but all of them.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:35 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
It is well documented that during the Council of Leodicea (look it up) the Church of Rome and their pagan leader Constantine had it changed from the proper 7th day (what we now call Saturday) to Sun Day for 2 reasons, to correspond with the pagan worship of the sun, as well as moving it to a day UNLIKE those that the Jews were participating in. Note they also forbade any participation of the Moadim (appointed times of YHVH) in their Canons put forth. It's all about the pagans. So think about that every sunday when you head to church. Not to mention the tons of pagan like worship methods of the Church of Rome today. The hat the Pope wears is that of Dagon, the fish god. Scary stuff. That's just the tip of the iceberg. You don't want to know about what the stuff they do on easter is all about. When you learn that xmas is actually a former celebration of the birth of baby Tamuz, another pagan and Ishtar for Easter which was a baby killing ritual, it just gets worse and worse.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:46 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
My work week starts on Monday. That would make Sunday the 7th day. The point of the Sabbath is to rest from your labors.

Just a thought.

Ex. 31:12-17

12 And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 13 “Speak also to the children of Israel, saying: ‘Surely My Sabbaths you shall keep, for it is a sign between Me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I am the LORD who sanctifies you. 14 You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. 15 Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death. 16 Therefore the children of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, to observe the Sabbath throughout their generations as a perpetual covenant. 17 It is a sign between Me and the children of Israel forever; for in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day He rested and was refreshed.’”

A

Old 04-29-2010, 11:23 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
As the old saying goes, "I don't care what YOU think....I care what HE (YHVH) thinks". You don't change what HE has set forth just to accommodate your own life, of if you do you are simply NOT observing what HE set forth to observe. It is HIS Sabbath....NOT YOURS....just remember that one. All you're saying is you're no better than what the Romans set forth......I'd like to believe you are.......think about it.......

Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
As the old saying goes, "I don't care what YOU think....I care what HE (YHVH) thinks". You don't change what HE has set forth just to accommodate your own life, of if you do you are simply NOT observing what HE set forth to observe. It is HIS Sabbath....NOT YOURS....just remember that one. All you're saying is you're no better than what the Romans set forth......I'd like to believe you are.......think about it.......
According to the cited scripture, the sabbath was for the jews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity