Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 05:40 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post

I guess that I should probably have stated my thread title differently and asked why Christians feel that the 10 commandments were "done away with"
None of it was "done away" with, only fulfilled and focused on Christ alone. The principles of the system "passed away," but the law itself, is now written on our hearts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 07:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
If it was only given to them then what do you make of Genesis 2?
IMO it was a concept of divine ordered rest.

The 7th day Sabbath was part of the Law, along with a bunch of other things that were laid out in the Torah. A Covenant between God and the Children of Israel. That Covenant did not exist before Moses, even tho some of the concepts were from the beginning.

And just so you know, I have no problem with people who are Sabbath keepers. A great thing BTW. My problem is with people who question my relationship with God cuz I go to church on Sunday.

You will never hear me question someone's standing with God because they don't speak in tongues. We are all saved by the blood of Jesus, but let each of us seek God and do what we believe is His will for us.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
None of it was "done away" with, only fulfilled and focused on Christ alone. The principles of the system "passed away," but the law itself, is now written on our hearts.
Here is a person who knows scripture.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:09 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,755,670 times
WOW what a perfect illustration of everything wrong with xtian teaching. There was NO focus changed. The Messiah meant for us to focus on YHVH NOT himself. Better reread this passage once again as it was NEVER to be altered. But xtians around the world teach otherwise, which is exactly why I say they are teaching "another gospel".

Mat 5:17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Torah or the Prophets.1 I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. (by the way fulfill does NOT mean to alter but to bring to fullness. Think of it this way, if you are fulfilling your job you may have a job tomorrow ;-)

Mat 5:18 “For truly, I say to you, till the heaven and the earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall by no means pass from the Torah till all be done.1 Footnote: 1Lk. 16:17. (heaven and earth are NOT passing away so good luck with that)

Mat 5:19 “Whoever, then, breaks one of the least of these commands, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the reign of the heavens; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the reign of the heavens.

You see what so many of you are missing is that the Messiah came to live the Torah perfectly. HE was to be an illustration of how it is done. Now WE are to do so as HE did.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:25 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Wow! you really need to study your history. The day of the week currently referred to by western civilization as Saturday, is in fact the same day of the week as that given by God to the Israelites when they where in the desert. jews today are still following the same calendar they have used since before Christ. The day of the week that they celebrate today as Sabbath, is the same day of the week that Christ worshipped "as was His custom". that Sabbath day kept by Jews today is the same day that modern day calendars refer to as Saturday. Really!? In a bind? I don't think so! not in the slightest!
Hi HalfNelson

Excuse me, did I say anything about the week? No, I didn't. The next time you decide insult me again I will be at liberty to tell you what I think of you. Consider my greeting a warning for my preference for respect.

Its not just the days of the week. Jewish holidays float in our calendar and some are considered more important than the seventh day. Do you keep that day?

Yom Kippur - ReligionFacts
In the Bible, Yom Kippur is called Shabbat Shabbaton, "Sabbath of Sabbaths," for it is on Yom Kippur that the abstention from work and solemnity that characterize the Sabbath are most complete.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Mat 5:17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Torah or the Prophets.1 I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. (by the way fulfill does NOT mean to alter but to bring to fullness. Think of it this way, if you are fulfilling your job you may have a job tomorrow ;-)

Mat 5:18 “For truly, I say to you, till the heaven and the earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall by no means pass from the Torah till all be done.1 Footnote: 1Lk. 16:17. (heaven and earth are NOT passing away so good luck with that)

You see what so many of you are missing is that the Messiah came to live the Torah perfectly. HE was to be an illustration of how it is done. Now WE are to do so as HE did.
Umm.....not exactly
Matt 5:17-18 (NKJV to be consistant)

17 “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. 18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Luke 24:44-47
44 Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.†45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.
46 Then He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise[h] from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. ."

Seems kinda straight forward if you ask me

Old 04-29-2010, 07:54 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times
Quote:
Hi sciotamicks,

Indeed the Law does not equal a covenant. The Law did not pass away just the old covenant to fulfill the Law. Christ and the new covenant fulfills the law.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,432,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi sciotamicks,

Indeed the Law does not equal a covenant. The Law did not pass away just the old covenant to fulfill the Law. Christ and the new covenant fulfills the law.

Agreed. This is why it is soooo imporatant that the church, as a whole, begins to realize this...the principles and rudiments of the "Covenant of Death" is over, and hasn't been in place since the elimination of the "focal point" here on earth FOR the covenant keepers. Those things have "passed away".....for good.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:38 PM

701 posts, read 800,110 times
Quote:
the 10C were never a system. The system was referring to the ceremonial law, which was, in fact, a system. The 10C never have been and never will be done away with, the ultimate goal is that they are written on our hearts.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:16 AM

701 posts, read 800,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
IMO it was a concept of divine ordered rest.

The 7th day Sabbath was part of the Law, along with a bunch of other things that were laid out in the Torah. A Covenant between God and the Children of Israel. That Covenant did not exist before Moses, even tho some of the concepts were from the beginning.

And just so you know, I have no problem with people who are Sabbath keepers. A great thing BTW. My problem is with people who question my relationship with God cuz I go to church on Sunday.

You will never hear me question someone's standing with God because they don't speak in tongues. We are all saved by the blood of Jesus, but let each of us seek God and do what we believe is His will for us.
The 10C did exist prior to the Covenant between God and Israel. A covenant is an agreement. That is it. God asked the children of Israel to follow HIS Law, and they agreed (for a time). Christ came and asked us to follow HIS Law (John 14:15 "If ye love Me, keep My commandments"). Those that agree, enter into a New Covenant. I apologize if I came across as questioning your relationship with God, I merely sought to question your implications of what His word says. I view the implication that the Sabbath is no longer necessary as most Christians might view the implication that God said it was ok to steal or commit adultery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Hi HalfNelson

Excuse me, did I say anything about the week? No, I didn't. The next time you decide insult me again I will be at liberty to tell you what I think of you. Consider my greeting a warning for my preference for respect.

Its not just the days of the week. Jewish holidays float in our calendar and some are considered more important than the seventh day. Do you keep that day?

Yom Kippur - ReligionFacts
In the Bible, Yom Kippur is called Shabbat Shabbaton, "Sabbath of Sabbaths," for it is on Yom Kippur that the abstention from work and solemnity that characterize the Sabbath are most complete.
Hi gwynedd1,

I apologize for reacting to your assertion that SDA's were in some sort of a bind (as are jews, apparently) regarding the 7th day Sabbath, the way I did. I understand your comment did not contain the word week, however your comment was in response to capt dan's, which did mention the day of the week, and your comment about being in a bind came across as snide. I will always do my best to give as much respect as that which is received.

Many other "Holy" days are mentioned in the OT and concern ceremonial ordinances. These days were also referred to as sabbaths, but they were not the 7th day Sabbath. You asked if I keep the Holy days still kept by Jews today, but you seem to forget that I'm not Jewish. Jews today still keep their ceremonial Holy days because they do not believe that Christ was their Messiah. The same Law that states thou shall not steal/murder/commit adultery/or take God's name in vain, is the same Law that contains the 7th day Sabbath, carved by the same finger of God, onto the same stone. As long I will abide by those other standards and for the same reason(my love for God) then I will abide by the fourth commandment in which God asks me to remember His work as Creator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity