U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2010, 05:51 PM
 
701 posts, read 391,655 times
Reputation: 127
Default Why do most Christians worship on Sunday?

Just curious as to why Bible believing Christians worship on Sunday(1st day of the week) vs Saturday(7th day of the week), and what their biblical perspective is on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Status: "ask why me ... rather than not why not them" (set 26 days ago)
 
9,404 posts, read 4,880,423 times
Reputation: 1024
Because we are not under the law, we are not required to do so.

Romans 6:14
For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace

Colossians 2:16
Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 06:59 PM
 
701 posts, read 391,655 times
Reputation: 127
wouldn't that also then indicate that we are free the responsibility to refrain from stealing, murdering, and committing adultery?

read Romans 6:15-16 "What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 07:21 PM
 
Location: PA
2,616 posts, read 2,641,551 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Just curious as to why Bible believing Christians worship on Sunday(1st day of the week) vs Saturday(7th day of the week), and what their biblical perspective is on this topic.
Christians were Jews originally and all went to synogoge on the 7th day. But it became common for the Christians to meet on the first day of the week to break bread.

See Acts 20:7 "And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight."

It is not some mysterious conspiracy, just a practice that has stuck from the time of the early church to today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 07:45 PM
 
701 posts, read 391,655 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Christians were Jews originally and all went to synogoge on the 7th day. But it became common for the Christians to meet on the first day of the week to break bread.

See Acts 20:7 "And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight."

It is not some mysterious conspiracy, just a practice that has stuck from the time of the early church to today.
Yet Acts 17:1-2 makes it clear that as was his custom, he went into the synagogue on three sabbath days. Clearly he was still keeping the Sabbath. He also reiterates in Acts chapter 26 that he is still keeping with that custom.

I guess that I should probably have stated my thread title differently and asked why Christians feel that the 10 commandments were "done away with"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Status: "ask why me ... rather than not why not them" (set 26 days ago)
 
9,404 posts, read 4,880,423 times
Reputation: 1024
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
wouldn't that also then indicate that we are free the responsibility to refrain from stealing, murdering, and committing adultery?

read Romans 6:15-16 "What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?"
No.
Read Ephesians 4:17-32
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 08:29 PM
 
3,075 posts, read 2,991,835 times
Reputation: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
Christians were Jews originally and all went to synogoge on the 7th day. But it became common for the Christians to meet on the first day of the week to break bread.

See Acts 20:7 "And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight."

It is not some mysterious conspiracy, just a practice that has stuck from the time of the early church to today.
Yes, so many Christians worship on the first day of the week because that was the example set by the apostles and the first century Christians. But, not to be dogmatic about it, we can pick any day to worship God, which should be DAILY. Sunday is just the traditional day that all Christians assemble themselves for worship as shown by Scripture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 08:57 PM
 
701 posts, read 391,655 times
Reputation: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Yes, so many Christians worship on the first day of the week because that was the example set by the apostles and the first century Christians. But, not to be dogmatic about it, we can pick any day to worship God, which should be DAILY. Sunday is just the traditional day that all Christians assemble themselves for worship as shown by Scripture.
So, then what is your thought on the 4h commandment? God was very specific about what day is to be kept holy. I understand that we can truly worship God every day, but as for keeping a day holy, we can't simply pick one that fits us. You see God never said make the day holy, He said keep it holy, which would indicate that it was already holy and had been for some time. What I find interesting is that I don't know a single bible believing Christian who would knowingly break any of the 10 commandments, with the exception of the only one that starts with the word remember. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Florida
5,261 posts, read 3,861,692 times
Reputation: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
So, then what is your thought on the 4h commandment? God was very specific about what day is to be kept holy. I understand that we can truly worship God every day, but as for keeping a day holy, we can't simply pick one that fits us. You see God never said make the day holy, He said keep it holy, which would indicate that it was already holy and had been for some time. What I find interesting is that I don't know a single bible believing Christian who would knowingly break any of the 10 commandments, with the exception of the only one that starts with the word remember. Why is that?
Amen.

God Bless you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2010, 10:27 PM
juj
 
Location: Too far from MSG
1,657 posts, read 1,551,539 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfNelson View Post
Just curious as to why Bible believing Christians worship on Sunday(1st day of the week) vs Saturday(7th day of the week), and what their biblical perspective is on this topic.
We celebrate on the day of the resurrection. Easter was on a Sunday and it became the new Sabbath. Of course the SDA's think otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top