U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 07:21 PM

3,576 posts, read 453,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Why do you think Jesus is now spirit? He ascended into Heaven in bodily form, as a glorified, immortal, resurrected being. When do you believe He got rid of His body?
Got rid of? ........ what I believe is that the resurrected can manifest a body they choose that is seem in this physical realm but where Jesus ascended to was not in this dimension - not just into our outer space within this universe --- where God is, is in another dimension all together -the physical world that we see and touch is reality to us but from Gods perspective it is dust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 07:23 PM

8,435 posts, read 8,389,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
This is an excellent visual - hope it helps our OP!

Water in different forms: liquid, solid or gas

God in different forms: Father, son and holy spirit
Except that water cannot be all three states at once as we see the "trinity" is when Jesus is baptized.... so it really doesn't work at all.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:45 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,961,166 times
As one who believes the doctrine of the trinity, I would love to be able to articulate it. But I can't.
Furthermore, I have yet to hear one that adequately describes it myself.
It would seem that our language is limited here. Like trying to explain a color to a blind person. There is no point of reference other than the experience.
One explanation that may come remotely close is this;
If one believes ( as I do ) that God is Love, doesn't Love require relationship?
And if God existed always, and before creation, what was the "relationship'?
Who or what, did God love? Nothing created, that's for sure.

I began by accepting the doctrine on faith. All meditaions on the trinity that have followed have been profound. And I think I'm able to discern that the experience bore good fruit. However, at any time during my meditation, I allowed my mind to try and articulate that which the spirit seemed to grasp, the spirit faded.

It would appear that it defies explanation.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:58 PM

20,299 posts, read 15,651,035 times
Quote:
Why do you think Jesus is now spirit? He ascended into Heaven in bodily form, as a glorified, immortal, resurrected being. When do you believe He got rid of His body?
As Deity Jesus Christ is Spirit. In His humanity he of course has a resurrected body. Jesus Christ is both eternal and infinite God and true humanity in one Person. He is the unique Person of the universe. This is His hypostatic union. He is the God-Man.

At the same time that Jesus in His humanity was a baby in the cradle, He was eternal God holding the universe together.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:05 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,961,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
As Deity Jesus Christ is Spirit. In His humanity he of course has a resurrected body. Jesus Christ is both eternal and infinite God and true humanity in one Person. He is the unique Person of the universe. This is His hypostatic union. He is the God-Man.

At the same time that Jesus in His humanity was a baby in the cradle, He was eternal God holding the universe together.

Well said
No duality. Perfectly human, and perfectly divine.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:10 PM

20,299 posts, read 15,651,035 times
Quote:
I asked Meerkat this, but I'll ask you too... When do you believe Jesus got rid of the body of flesh and bones He had after His resurrection, with which He ascended into Heaven and with which He said He would return to Earth? I have always been of the impression that even Trinitarians believe that Jesus Christ now has a physical body -- although no longer a mortal one. Are you saying that if you were to go to Heaven right now, you would not be in the presence of a Being you could see and touch? Or did I misunderstand you? I mean, I believe that they are all spirit, too. But a spirit is a life force which can either inhabit a body or not. In my opinion, a spirit can either exist within or outside of a body.
Actually, I answered this in post #74, but I'll answer it here as well. Jesus Christ is the unique Person of the universe. He is the God-Man. He is both eternal and infinite God and as such, He is Spirit. He is also true humanity and as such He possesses a glorified resurrected body. This is the hypostatic union of Christ. Two different natures in one Person from the time of His coming into the world at His first advent throughout all of eternity future.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:36 PM

4,346 posts, read 5,568,240 times
Quote:
Actually, I answered this in post #74, but I'll answer it here as well. Jesus Christ is the unique Person of the universe. He is the God-Man. He is both eternal and infinite God and as such, He is Spirit. He is also true humanity and as such He possesses a glorified resurrected body. This is the hypostatic union of Christ. Two different natures in one Person from the time of His coming into the world at His first advent throughout all of eternity future.
There is no "God the Son" only "the Son of God". There is no "God the Holy Spirit" only "The Holy Spirit of God".

Backwards phrasing, the doctrines of men made into orthodoxy by the politically ambitious to unify a splintered empire, upheld to this day by the spiritually blind who march straight into religious ruts and roll off into ditches of stagnation.

And when I try to pull them out they generally bite my hand.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 PM

11,822 posts, read 9,815,113 times
Quote:

Well said.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 PM

21,417 posts, read 29,545,781 times
Quote:

I agree with twin, GREAT post!!!! AMEN!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 09:05 PM

21,275 posts, read 20,883,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Jesus is NOT the Father. The Father is Spirit - His Spirit is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the very BEING of the Father Himself. Jesus has His Father's Being inside of Him.
That doesn't make any sense to me at all. If the Father's Spirit is the Holy Spirit, then God the Father and the Holy Ghost are synonyms, and we don't have a Trinity at all! We have a Father (aka the Holy Ghost) and a Son, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity