Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:23 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,857,098 times

Advertisements

Can someone please, please try and legitimately explain how your jesus can also be his own father? This whole "father, son and holy spirit" as one being Moderator cut: insulting comments are deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 04-18-2010 at 03:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 07:42 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times
It's called the "Trinity" and they are three separate beings who make up the Godhead. Its' really not that hard to understand. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Of course, we won't fully understand how it works until we die.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:08 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Can someone please, please try and legitimately explain how your jesus can also be his own father? This whole "father, son and holy spirit" as one being Moderator cut: Orphaned
He can't be and He isn't. Furthermore, He didn't come here to do all He sent Himself to do, either. Nor did He pray to Himself, forsake Himself on the cross, commend Himself into His own Hands or ascend to Himself in Heaven. He is not His own Father or His own God, and He does not sit on His own right hand side today.

Last edited by june 7th; 04-18-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
There is only two reactions to the truth of the Trinity:
  1. believe it because he is of God...that is part of the fruit of the Spirit
  2. does not believe it because it's foolishness
1 Corinthians 2:14
The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

The Trinity is what seperates the True Christian Church from the false.

1 Timothy 4:1
The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.

Galatians 1:8
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!

2 Corinthians 11:14
And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:54 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Alienating people is not a fruit of the spirit.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:12 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Not being able to understand something is a sign it isn't quite right.... especially when the only explanation is that it is not understandable...

Old 04-18-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
The Trinity is what seperates the True Christian Church from the false.
That really puts the pre-Nicene Creed Christians in a bad spot.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:24 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
That really puts the pre-Nicene Creed Christians in a bad spot.
How they had the audacity to make a doctrine that cannot be defended is beyond me. I have had multiple discussions on this matter and the only proof offered is "gods ways are not understandable to men."

Psalm 32:9 Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you.

Proverbs 1:22 How long, O naive ones, will you love being simple-minded? And scoffers delight themselves in scoffing And fools hate knowledge?

Scripture calls the one without understanding: a fool, naive, like a horse or mule, simple-minded.... need I say more?

Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
How they had the audacity to make a doctrine that cannot be defended is beyond me.
I know, but you have to stop and consider who "they" are. The Emperor Constantine, who was at that time, not even a Christian himself, called the council. He called it for political purposes. Period. He didn't care about the nature of God. The vote could have gone either way as far as he was concerned. All he wanted was a united empire, and as long as the Christians couldn't agree on things among themselves, he wasn't going to have one. The council wasn't even called by the Pope. I could be wrong about this, but if my memory serves me, the Pope wasn't even in attendance. (Not that I think the Pope has any more right than anyone else to define God. It just seems to me that a matter of such serious consequence would have been called by the head of the Church on the earth at that time.) So how they had the audacity to come up with the doctrine is not my only concern. I find it far more troublesome to think that a doctrine that would forever more be a core doctrine of traditional Christianity was resolved after debate, denouncements, threats of exile and a majority vote. Was the hand of God really involved in that process?

Quote:
I have had multiple discussions on this matter and the only proof offered is "gods ways are not understandable to men."
It's true that we cannot possibly understand God. I have often compared my own understanding of God to my dogs understanding of me. They don't know what I'm doing when I'm sitting here at my computer hour after hour. They don't know where I go when I spend hours and hours a day away from them. They don't have a clue about where the food the get comes from. As far as they know, they never existed prior to when they came to live with me, and they have no idea in the world that they will ever die. I like to think they're smart, but they really can't even begin to compare to me. I think it's like that with respect to how ability to comprehend God. On the other hand -- and this is really the point I want to make -- God wants us to know Him. He wants us to understand Him to the extent we can. We (i.e. our Creeds, etc.) have made Him a far greater mystery, far less knowable and approachable, far more distant than I would ever have wanted us to.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:39 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
It's called the "Trinity" and they are three separate beings who make up the Godhead. Its' really not that hard to understand. God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit. Of course, we won't fully understand how it works until we die.
Have you ever heard of the Tri-state of water?...it can be a gas, liquid and solid all at the same instance...if i remember my chemestry, it is called the zero point...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity