Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:47 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,699,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
I'm saying that the sacrifice nullified the judgment and made it a reap-what-you-sow-right-here-and-now environment.
But kat ............... there are lots of people who do not reap what they sow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 12:03 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
But kat ............... there are lots of people who do not reap what they sow.
It seems that way doesn't it? I wish I had all the answers. I don't see people always reaping the good things they sow either... but we are told to do good without expecting anything in return. There is a verse in Jer 31 I believe...that states that everyone will be accountable for his own sin not just one massive judgment (IMO) passed down upon generations as it was thought to be in Jeremiah's day.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:21 AM

Quote:
It seems that way doesn't it? I wish I had all the answers. I don't see people always reaping the good things they sow either... but we are told to do good without expecting anything in return. There is a verse in Jer 31 I believe...that states that everyone will be accountable for his own sin not just one massive judgment (IMO) passed down upon generations as it was thought to be in Jeremiah's day.
This is why I believe the Hebrews verse is still applicable now --- live and sow to the flesh, be selfish, reap destruction, sow to the spirit - love God and your neighbour as yourself reap life ------- then judgment for those that have not judged themselves through Christ, then look to Jesus, then resurrection.

Those that do not reap destruction have already passed from death (destruction) to life and do not come under condemnation.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
This is why I believe the Hebrews verse is still applicable now --- live and sow to the flesh, be selfish, reap destruction, sow to the spirit - love God and your neighbour as yourself reap life ------- then judgment for those that have not judged themselves through Christ, then look to Jesus, then resurrection.

Those that do not reap destruction have already passed from death (destruction) to life and do not come under condemnation.
How do you reconcile these two:
John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Believer: not condemned
Non-believer: Condemned already

Mark 16:16 "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

Believer: Saved (not condemned?)
Non-believer: condemned

Although in this one the tense is different... has disbelieved seems to imply that there is a time their disbelief stops and they will be condemned at some later time. Very confusing.

Then we have John 5:24 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Believer: Eternal life, No judgment (from spiritual death into spiritual life?)
Non-believer: Nothing said in this verse about the non-believer although it is easy to assume the opposite.

In John 5:24 though it is he who HEARS his word and believes God who sent him.

So is God all things in all things or is God all things in all believers individually in your opinion?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:21 AM

5,303 posts, read 6,435,356 times
Quote:
Non-believer: Nothing said in this verse about the non-believer although it is easy to assume the opposite.
Yes

Quote:
is God all things in all believers individually
Yes

Old 04-20-2010, 01:32 AM

Quote:
How do you reconcile these two:
John 3:18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

Believer: not condemned
Non-believer: Condemned already

Mark 16:16 "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved; but he who has disbelieved shall be condemned.

Believer: Saved (not condemned?)
Non-believer: condemned

Although in this one the tense is different... has disbelieved seems to imply that there is a time their disbelief stops and they will be condemned at some later time. Very confusing.

Then we have John 5:24 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

In John 5:24 though it is he who HEARS his word and believes God who sent him.

So is God all things in all things or is God all things in all believers individually in your opinion?
I have the thought that it is a believing that produces good works i.e fulfills the commandment love God and your neighbour

I have also wondered how much is actually directed at the disbelieving Jews to save themselves from the wrath that was coming to them in 70AD and how much applies in a general sense
believe and be saved from spiritual wrath (second death)
I totally believe in a spirit life and God being all in all is about resurrection from death and destruction.

How I see it is that all of the dead will all be raised some to life, who have not come under condemnation and those that come under condemnation will be raised from that condemnation.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I have the thought that it is a believing that produces good works i.e fulfills the commandment love God and your neighbour

I have also wondered how much is actually directed at the disbelieving Jews to save themselves from the wrath that was coming to them in 70AD and how much applies in a general sense
believe and be saved from spiritual wrath (second death)
I totally believe in a spirit life and God being all in all is about resurrection from death and destruction.

How I see it is that all of the dead will all be raised some to life, who have not come under condemnation and those that come under condemnation will be raised from that condemnation.
In the back of my mind I wonder about all those who unknowingly follow the law (the two commands that is)... if the purpose is to cause men to love one another do you have to believe in Christ in order to live life abundantly if you already love your fellow man?

And how does punishing the spirit in a spirit-life useful when it was the flesh that needed taming?

I think I am missing some key puzzle piece in understanding the process. Maybe I'm not asking the right questions!

Old 04-20-2010, 11:39 AM

Remember Kat, the flesh is just a euphemism of sin nature, flesh, bones and blood are earthly realities of a spiritual defect. Hence two bodies....the corruptible sin nature, and the blemish-free incorruptible body...both these "bodies" house or "tabernacle" - 2 Cor 5 - the spirit.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciotamicks View Post
Remember Kat, the flesh is just a euphemism of sin nature, flesh, bones and blood are earthly realities of a spiritual defect. Hence two bodies....the corruptible sin nature, and the blemish-free incorruptible body...both these "bodies" house or "tabernacle" - 2 Cor 5 - the spirit.
I don't believe that way. The flesh is what responds to stimuli without regard to the "right" and "wrong" of the stimuli. The spirit-trained flesh does not respond to "wrong" stimuli.

This thinking that "flesh" is a euphemism for sin nature and a spiritual defect is what produces the thought that you get new flesh rather than a renewing of the spirit. IMO

Old 04-20-2010, 12:48 PM

Kat,

Why are there "two bodies"?
Why is one is corruptible and the other not so?
Both are bodies, both tabernacle the "spirit."
You are disregarding and denying the Corinthian letters concerning this.
I urge you to delve deeper into this. The problem is not from our flesh as such, but from the sin that dwells in our flesh - Romans 7:20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity