U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-19-2010, 01:40 PM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,710,060 times
Reputation: 1351

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Chuck Smith the founder of Calvery Chapel was predicting the rapture back in 1981. Calvary Chapel Wiki / 1981

Fear is a good way to build a church.
Are you serious?!?! I was a member of Calvary Chapel, Ft. Lauderdale for a few years and I absolutely loved the church and I actually met the guy. I never knew he taught this foolishness. Well I left on my own but that would have certainly did me in if I knew that back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2010, 01:57 PM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,681,725 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Perhaps, but that does not negate the fact that there will be an end-time generation just as Jesus said. It's pretty simple to connect all the dots for our generation if you really want to know. If you don't, then it's pretty simple to dismiss everything in your own mind.

A clear end-time event is Israel's reestablishment, and the fact that only divine intervention could have allowed them to overcome their enemies. God is with Israel, despite overwhelming odds of their survival.

God will be all in all too and the whole world will be deceived, however, scriptural facts do not excuse the ministers who fail miserably in their predictions or the ones presently carrying on the tradition of foolishness.

I can say everyday that the sun is going to burn out, if I lived long enough, eventually I will be right, whoo hoo. But what a fool am I for taking such a position thinking it to be wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 01:23 AM
 
1,492 posts, read 2,222,060 times
Reputation: 250
The folks at raptureready.com probably would have a good thing going IF they were not so hate-filled and using it to push their own political agenda.Everything from global warming to earthquakes in China are blamed on Pres. Obama and the Democrats.Meanwhile,the repubs are responsible for nothing.
That said,it's hard to stomach such elitism,even if the overall message is intended to be a good one.There's a big difference between being well-meaning and just plain being mean-spirited.BIG difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 02:19 AM
 
Location: Texas
4,346 posts, read 5,565,954 times
Reputation: 843
I remember one about 20 years ago. They (a small group) got a revelation of the exact SECOND of the rapture. One family jumped off their roof at the precise second (as a show of faith) and were banged up a bit. Anyone remember that?

I don't think anyone jumped at the next prediction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 02:20 AM
 
Location: New York City
5,556 posts, read 6,710,060 times
Reputation: 1351
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
I remember one about 20 years ago. They (a small group) got a revelation of the exact SECOND of the rapture. One family jumped off their roof at the precise second (as a show of faith) and were banged up a bit. Anyone remember that?

I don't think anyone jumped at the next prediction.
Crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 06:31 AM
 
Location: SC Foothills
8,830 posts, read 9,746,380 times
Reputation: 58197
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC122 View Post
The folks at raptureready.com probably would have a good thing going IF they were not so hate-filled and using it to push their own political agenda.Everything from global warming to earthquakes in China are blamed on Pres. Obama and the Democrats.Meanwhile,the repubs are responsible for nothing.
That said,it's hard to stomach such elitism,even if the overall message is intended to be a good one.There's a big difference between being well-meaning and just plain being mean-spirited.BIG difference.
You're wrong about Raptureready.com....they ARE NOT hate-filled at all. It's all about looking forward to the Rapture. I know because I'm a member.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 07:17 AM
 
Location: Maryland
3,540 posts, read 5,959,041 times
Reputation: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
How wonderful of them. Makes me hope I disappear and cause an accident, NOT.
It would seem logical that any believer's in a soon to come rapture, who happen to be in the insurance business could invent a new line;

"Accidental rapture induced death and dismembarment rider"

"For a nominal fee, bodily and or property damaged caused by sudden disappearing of raptured drivers, giving rise to harm caused by unoccuppied vehicles will be fully covered with a $500.00 deductible, provided that insurance company personel have also not in fact been raptured, in which case payment may be delayed. Futhermore, should the payee become raptured within 30 calendar days, all rapture relief must be returned to non raptured insurance company personel"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 09:15 AM
 
Location: US
26,248 posts, read 13,915,192 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I just remembered that there is some half dead looking man on TV who proclaimed the world is coming to an end sometime soon. His previous prediction(s) I understand failed, but he still has his followers. I mean, WHY are these people STILL trusted? Why do they still have followers?
Charisma...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 09:18 AM
 
Location: US
26,248 posts, read 13,915,192 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
God will be all in all too and the whole world will be deceived, however, scriptural facts do not excuse the ministers who fail miserably in their predictions or the ones presently carrying on the tradition of foolishness.

I can say everyday that the sun is going to burn out, if I lived long enough, eventually I will be right, whoo hoo. But what a fool am I for taking such a position thinking it to be wise.
Aren't we supposed to stone false prophets to death?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 10:17 AM
 
5,925 posts, read 5,681,725 times
Reputation: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Aren't we supposed to stone false prophets to death?...

If you're without sin, sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top