Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:28 PM

319 posts, read 1,463,115 times

Advertisements

I am sure, this will SURPRISE you !!

As I was growing up, I would read this story, John chapter 11 and.. it just did not make any sense (to me).

Jesus came home and found out that his close cousin (lazarus) had died. All of the people are sad, .. "if you had been here this would not have happend.

NOw, Jesus knows, he is going to raise Lazarus from the dead.

The shortest verse in the entire bible - Jesus Wept John 11:35

First re-read the entire story, THEN it will make sense why he wept.

that is a very poor translation of what actually happened. Jesus didn't weep.. He completly lost it. He was in agony.

Notice the response : See how much he loved him..

I have listened for over 50 years; as preacher after preacher speak about this verse, this story.. and not once, have I ever found out, WHY DID HE CRY?

Then.. finally the simple truth dawned on me (by the Holy Spirit) and this just makes so much sense.. none of the other explanations ever made sense to me.. but this surely does.

He cried.. he was in agony because.. .. he had to take Lazarus out of glory and bring him back into this corrupt wicked place !

Now, that is something to groan in agony over, Lazarus had been in paradise for 4 days.. now he has to come back where people have nothing but doubts and anger and insults
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 04:33 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,301,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessE86 View Post
I am sure, this will SURPRISE you !!

As I was growing up, I would read this story, John chapter 11 and.. it just did not make any sense (to me).

Jesus came home and found out that his close cousin (lazarus) had died. All of the people are sad, .. "if you had been here this would not have happend.

NOw, Jesus knows, he is going to raise Lazarus from the dead.

The shortest verse in the entire bible - Jesus Wept John 11:35

First re-read the entire story, THEN it will make sense why he wept.

that is a very poor translation of what actually happened. Jesus didn't weep.. He completly lost it. He was in agony.

Notice the response : See how much he loved him..

I have listened for over 50 years; as preacher after preacher speak about this verse, this story.. and not once, have I ever found out, WHY DID HE CRY?

Then.. finally the simple truth dawned on me (by the Holy Spirit) and this just makes so much sense.. none of the other explanations ever made sense to me.. but this surely does.

He cried.. he was in agony because.. .. he had to take Lazarus out of glory and bring him back into this corrupt wicked place !

Now, that is something to groan in agony over, Lazarus had been in paradise for 4 days.. now he has to come back where people have nothing but doubts and anger and insults
Well, I never saw it that way, but Lazarus never said anything about being in glory. I'm sure if he was he would have said something. There is nothing in the greek bible that says that Lazarus was in glory. I'm not saying that he wasn't but the bible does not say.

Last edited by Miss Shawn_2828; 05-13-2009 at 04:42 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 04:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
mideastern people are emotional. he loved his friend.
you think that is bad, hey dont go to the movies with me.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:39 PM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times
I believe that he was weeping because of the hurt and pain that Mary and the other Jews were feeling and expressing. He felt their pain, the pain of losing someone to death. I don't believe that Lazarus was alive in Paradise, but that he was actually dead. I also believe that Jesus wept because of the glory of God which was going to be revealed when He raised Lazarus. God bless.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:53 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,173,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I also believe that Jesus wept because of the glory of God which was going to be revealed when He raised Lazarus. God bless.
Good point - we may never know how Jesus felt when the spirit rose up in Him in such a way. Could it have been a foretaste of death that He was confronting? Maybe a mixture of emotions that came upon Him.

Jesus wasn't known to be very emotional, as the emotions are a segment of our soul/carnal nature - of which Jesus' spirit was definitely lord - but you can imagine there was a lot going on in that moment of time.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:02 PM

307 posts, read 479,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I believe that he was weeping because of the hurt and pain that Mary and the other Jews were feeling and expressing. He felt their pain, the pain of losing someone to death. I don't believe that Lazarus was alive in Paradise, but that he was actually dead. I also believe that Jesus wept because of the glory of God which was going to be revealed when He raised Lazarus. God bless.
I believe this to be the case. Also, Jesus was a human being with all the emotions that we feel. He wept for his friend and the grief felt by Lazurus' family. This is one of the most encouraging and revealing insights into Jesus' human condition, though He is the Son of God.

Not being too well versed to quote, but I think Paul said something to the effect that we have a representative in heaven who can identify with our weaknesses and feelings, our trials and sufferings. That gives me great comfort.

Last edited by elizabeth7; 05-13-2009 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-13-2009, 05:17 PM

4,213 posts, read 5,832,874 times
I agree with the statement that He felt great pain in bringing Lazarus back from paradise.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:18 PM

319 posts, read 1,463,115 times
First of all, the bible clearly states : to be absent from the body is to be present with the lord (paradise) No one is in heaven yet & no one is in hell yet.

Lazarus was clearly in paradise.. Luke chapter 16 makes that perfectly clear !! (DIFFERENT LAZARUS)

Jesus wept. look up that word in the original greek and find out what it really means.. He knew he was going to raise him from the dead!

so crying about his death is not the issue. TRUE he was saddend by their unbelief.. but he was in agony over taking Lazarus out of PARADISE !!

JUST TAKE THE TIME TO THINK.

thank you ROBIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:38 PM

2,949 posts, read 5,498,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessE86 View Post
First of all, the bible clearly states : to be absent from the body is to be present with the lord (paradise) No one is in heaven yet & no one is in hell yet.
That is not exactly what that verse says.

Quote:
Lazarus was clearly in paradise.. Luke chapter 16 makes that perfectly clear !! (DIFFERENT LAZARUS)
No, it does not make it perfectly clear. The bible CLEARLY states the dead know NOTHING.

Quote:
Jesus wept. look up that word in the original greek and find out what it really means.. He knew he was going to raise him from the dead!
so crying about his death is not the issue. TRUE he was saddend by their unbelief.. but he was in agony over taking Lazarus out of PARADISE !!
Please provide scripture that says he was in paradise. The PARABLE about a rich man and a begger in another chapter is not scriptural proof!

Quote:
JUST TAKE THE TIME TO THINK.
Please take time to STUDY STUDY STUDY scripture. Look at the WHOLE of the bible. Look at what scriptures say about death and the abode of the dead. PLease do not ignore those plain scriptures. Piecing a scripture here and a scripture there that are talking about different things, and trying to make them fit what you want them to say is never going to get you the truth. The bible very clearly says the dead know NOTHING! No need to try and read between the lines. No need to look for other scriptures that might possibly infer something different if you piece them with a bunch of other stories and parables (that have symbolic and spiritual meanings)and then try to read something into them.
Scripture say plainly..THE DEAD KNOW NOTHING! To believe otherwise demeans the blessed event known as the resurrection.[/quote]

Old 05-13-2009, 05:40 PM

14,867 posts, read 17,143,188 times
Quote:

Hi Jesse, to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord, but it doesn't mean that the person is living in paradise. Jesus holds the keys to death and Hades. Hades is the Unseen state. Those who are dead are in the Unseen state. There are very many scriptures which speak of the dead being dead. If they are literally living in paradise there would be no need for a resurrection.

Quote:
No, it does not make it perfectly clear. The bible CLEARLY states the dead know NOTHING.
I agree, spm62.

God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity