U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:34 AM

5,556 posts, read 6,716,246 times

Advertisements

I've always been fascinated by this VERY popular movement of the 1800s, started by a man (whom the movement is named after) who believed he had a round-a-bout period for the return of Jesus. Amazingly he had many followers and even AFTER his prediction flopped, to the disappointment of his followers, still a very large and prominent denomination rose from his blunder. I mean, this is just amazing to me. A church made up of multiple millions of people actually had their founding out of this fiasco.

One of the things I tried to find out was whether or not, like today, people within the movement were connecting dots based on "signs" such as earthquakes, volcanoes and the all important, "wonders in the sky." I thought about the massive volcanic explosion of Tambora in 1815 in Sumatra 9,000 miles on the other side of the world and realized the Millerites, unlike us today, would not know anything about it. However, the volcanic ash did in fact affect the weather in the northeastern portion of the United States where Miller lived.

Miller became a prosperous farmer and he must have noticed that in 1816, due to the Tambora eruption, the northeastern United States (such as Vermont where Miller lived) had NO summer, as Tambora's ash effectively prevented warm enough temperatures for crops to grow. In other parts of the world such as Europe, and perhaps the United States, crop failure spurred famines, a SURE sign to some that the Bible was being fulfilled.

Now I am not sure whether or not this had an effect on Miller's end times euphoria, but I finally made a connection that most likely did or at least, pushed him over the top with his prediction. Note this piece from Wickipedia:

Millerism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
As the various dates of Christís predicted return approached, Millerite publishing went into high gear. In May 1843, 21,000 copies of the various Millerite papers were published for distribution each week. In New York alone, in the five month period ending April 1843, 600,000 copies of various publications were distributed. In December 1843, Himes proposed the publication of one million tracts, while in May 1844, he announced that five million copies of Millerite publications had been distributed up to that time.
I found the month of May quite interesting because I then stumbled into some information from a letter written in April 1843, the previous month before Millerism went wild. The letter really was more about fugitive slaves and abolition, however, on a side note, it mentioned the passing of a bright Comet that was first seen in February of 1843, increasing in brightness to be seen even in broad daylight before passing out of sight in April. The letter goes on to say that this was viewed as a grave and final sign by the Millerites and explains why things kicked into high gear for them.

Miller did not exactly set a precise date, but he believed Jesus was going to return somewhere between March 21, 1843 and March 21, 1844. Nothing happened by March 21, 1844 so another date was set in April and then eventually in October 1844 and ultimately, nothing happened then either but still, the Seventh Day Adventist Church was birthed out of this disappointment.

Here on City-Data, I have seen some skirt around making a precise date, but they hint at a possible period or even a month and they point to natural events which they claim are increasing as sure-fire proof we are in those FINAL days, either of the world or before Jesus comes back to rapture his special people. Are we seeing a repeat of the mid 1800s?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 11:52 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,686,143 times
Nothing new, Charles Massegee wrote a book in the early 70's predicting the "round about" time for Christs return being the year 2000, he still has an active ministry concerning the end times.

It is about fear, anyone following such things are in fear, you can describe it 100 different ways, try to invoke the scriptures concerning "seasons" but it is all fear.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:55 AM

897 posts, read 1,416,853 times
I believe in the rapture. I think God will bring Christians home before it gets too bad on Earth with the Antichrist. The Christians will disappear so suddenly that there will be countless accidents.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:59 AM

5,925 posts, read 5,686,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
I believe in the rapture. I think God will bring Christians home before it gets too bad on Earth with the Antichrist. The Christians will disappear so suddenly that there will be countless accidents.
How wonderful of them. Makes me hope I disappear and cause an accident, NOT.

Last edited by Phazelwood; 04-19-2010 at 12:14 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 12:02 PM

17,750 posts, read 15,041,223 times
The expectation of end of the world has been going on for thousands of years. It never ends.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
The expectation of end of the world has been going on for thousands of years. It never ends.
Indeed.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phazelwood View Post
Nothing new, Charles Massegee wrote a book in the early 70's predicting the "round about" time for Christs return being the year 2000, he still has an active ministry concerning the end times.

It is about fear, anyone following such things are in fear, you can describe it 100 different ways, try to invoke the scriptures concerning "seasons" but it is all fear.
I just remembered that there is some half dead looking man on TV who proclaimed the world is coming to an end sometime soon. His previous prediction(s) I understand failed, but he still has his followers. I mean, WHY are these people STILL trusted? Why do they still have followers?

Old 04-19-2010, 01:16 PM

5,422 posts, read 4,666,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Perhaps, but that does not negate the fact that there will be an end-time generation just as Jesus said. It's pretty simple to connect all the dots for our generation if you really want to know. If you don't, then it's pretty simple to dismiss everything in your own mind.

A clear end-time event is Israel's reestablishment, and the fact that only divine intervention could have allowed them to overcome their enemies. God is with Israel, despite overwhelming odds of their survival.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 PM

6,232 posts, read 9,524,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Perhaps, but that does not negate the fact that there will be an end-time generation just as Jesus said. It's pretty simple to connect all the dots for our generation if you really want to know. If you don't, then it's pretty simple to dismiss everything in your own mind.

A clear end-time event is Israel's reestablishment, and the fact that only divine intervention could have allowed them to overcome their enemies. God is with Israel, despite overwhelming odds of their survival.
Indeed.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:34 PM

6,652 posts, read 7,121,955 times
Chuck Smith the founder of Calvery Chapel was predicting the rapture back in 1981. Calvary Chapel Wiki / 1981

Fear is a good way to build a church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity