U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 04:30 PM

3,585 posts, read 465,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I belong to another forum which has one sub-forum specifically designed for religious education. Period. It works very well. People are allowed to ask questions, but nobody is allowed to try to back someone else into a corner or prove that their beliefs are false. It's basically, "So what do you believe about such and such?" And then, "Okay, thank you for the information. I've learned something new today." People aren't put in a position of feeling as if they have to defend their beliefs because the staff makes sure it doesn't come down to that.
Maybe we could start a thread like that - and just see how it goes. What topic would you like to start with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 04:33 PM

294 posts, read 272,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
I also find that I do learn things from the debates - it either solidifies what I believe or I find that the arguments have merit.
You must be in the minority. I see few people on this forum showing any signs of learning anything. Most just want to preach to others and read back reinforcement for what they think they already know.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Sherente View Post
But sometimes the last word is the truth, and people don't want to engage you further in conversation because the facts are unpalatable to them.

(Sorry, Katzpur, I mentioned the t word.)
Of course ... that is why I said not necessarily true.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:36 PM

294 posts, read 272,982 times
Quote:
And I'm sorry to have to tell you this, Toni, but Christians have been cramming "facts" down each other's throats so long that we're all starting to gag.
The trouble is - most Christians spit these facts out without even tasting them, unless of course they are facts that they have already digested many times before.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
The "T-word" is very important. It just doesn't have to enter into EVERY discussion. And I'm sorry to have to tell you this, Toni, but Christians have been cramming "facts" down each other's throats so long that we're all starting to gag.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:37 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,972,113 times
Quote:
For crying out loud, people! The thread I have in mind has nothing to do with what's true and what's false. It has to do with sharing what we believe and learning about what other people believe. The reason I doubt it would work, even though I would like very much to see it work, is that even on this thread, some people simply cannot bring themselves to discuss without debating. As someone who believes that absolute truth does exist and that it's important for each of us to find it, I am still interested in learning what people believe and telling people what I believe. It doesn't ALWAYS have to be about who's the most effective debater.
Second only to The Bible, my favorite daily reading recently has been "The Imitation Of Christ"

I read this a few days ago, as I started the book again, from the beginning:

"What does it profit you to argue profoundly about the Trinity, if you lack humility, and so displease the Trinity? Truly deep words do not make a holy man and just. It is a virtuous life that makes a man dear to God. I would rather find contrition than define the word. If you know the whole Bible superficially, and the words of all philosophers, what would all this profit you without the grace of God? Vanity of vanities, all is vanity, save to love God and serve him alone. This is the highest wisdom, despising the world, to reach for the Kingdom of Heaven"

Your thread has reminded me of that meditation.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 PM

21,300 posts, read 20,988,915 times
Actually, I didn't just start this thread as a hypothetical question. I would seriously like to have a thread like the one I described, but it would take a ton of moderating. I think I'm going to start a poll to see how many other people are interested and then, if the staff would be willing to watch it extra closely, we might give it a go.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Actually, I didn't just start this thread as a hypothetical question. I would seriously like to have a thread like the one I described, but it would take a ton of moderating. I think I'm going to start a poll to see how many other people are interested and then, if the staff would be willing to watch it extra closely, we might give it a go.
Any problem posts in a thread like that (and any thread) should be reported to the mods, using the report post button, -- they would then look and moderate as necessary - and I agree it would probably need lots of moderating.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 04-19-2010 at 08:36 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 08:28 PM

21,300 posts, read 20,988,915 times
For anyone interested: Would you like a non-debate, information-only thread?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:38 PM

45,270 posts, read 86,328,143 times
Quote:
Debates are great. I learn a lot from them, too. But does every thread need to be a debate? I know I'd like to be able to ask a question of a Catholic from time to time, and be able to get an answer from a Catholic -- without a dozen other people telling me that Catholics are wrong or are not answering my questions truthfully.

THANK YOU.

I so agree.

Sadly, the religion forum seems to be full of the more fundamentalist types who somehow believe it is their "duty" to save the rest of us Christians, and the non-Christians, from ourselves. It gets so old.

I actually smile when I think about their surprised reaction when the Lord himself actually calls them to account for how they not only judged their fellowman, but how they turned many others away from Him by their insistance of who they "knew" he was

On another note, I'm a Catholic - if you have any question I would be happy to try to answer it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or