U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:10 PM

6,209 posts, read 3,828,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat2 View Post
I just noticed something

When it says that Jesus will rule with a rod of iron and also when the priests and kings rule with a rod of iron

rule is this word

G4165
ποιμαίνω
poimainō
poy-mah'ee-no
From G4166; to tend as a shepherd (or figuratively superviser): - feed (cattle), rule.

Rev 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
Rev 2:27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

It is also used here

Joh 21:16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
Good find meerkat. Read this article for more study on this. You can scroll down to the section entitled God is looking for a few good "Poimen":

Merciful Truth - The Chosen Kingdom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 02:12 PM

2,933 posts, read 2,137,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
Why, the great judgment of the mystery Babylon, the mother of all prostitutes(spiritual) ...

I understand Kat believes that destruction already took place in the destruction of Jerusalem, she being a preterist, but i believe that it is still yet to come and that it represents the soon destruction of orthodox and fundamentalist Christianity, along with Islam(the bastard child of Catholicism) ta' boot ...
Yes, I believe in a preterist physical fulfillment in 70AD and a spiritual fulfillment which has been playing out for 2000 years .... I have wondered about the great city splitting in 3 Rev 16:19 refers symbolically/spiritually to christianity, islam ........ and Judaism?

Old 04-20-2010, 02:24 PM

7,374 posts, read 4,282,208 times
Quote:
Yes, I believe in a preterist physical fulfillment in 70AD and a spiritual fulfillment which has been playing out for 2000 years .... I have wondered about the great city splitting in 3 Rev 16:19 refers symbolically/spiritually to christianity, islam ........ and Judaism?
It could in fact represent that ... An interesting interpretation. I do believe that the mystery Babylon represents all forms of fundamental religion which derive from the Babylonian form of worship. It can be clearly seen in all three religions, the Hebrew, Christian, and Islamic.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmaw1776 View Post
It could in fact represent that ... An interesting interpretation. I do believe that the mystery Babylon represents all forms of fundamental religion which derive from the Babylonian form of worship. It can be clearly seen in all three religions, the Hebrew, Christian, and Islamic.
Yes over time that thought has stayed in my mind.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:40 PM

22,870 posts, read 10,791,207 times
Quote:
Well done, meerkat. The physical (carnal or worldly) versus spiritual meaning of scripture is at the heart of correct biblical interpretation. . . with the spiritual being the more important.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:17 PM

4,070 posts, read 2,177,352 times
Quote:
I just noticed something

When it says that Jesus will rule with a rod of iron and also when the priests and kings rule with a rod of iron

rule is this word

G4165
ποιμαίνω
poimainō
poy-mah'ee-no
From G4166; to tend as a shepherd (or figuratively superviser): - feed (cattle), rule.

Rev 2:26 And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
Rev 2:27 And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father.

It is also used here

Joh 21:16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.

And only LOVE can be TRUSTED with a rod of iron.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Amen --- it is for good and with a purpose of restoration.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:31 PM

5,501 posts, read 2,392,365 times
Quote:
I just noticed something

rule is this word

G4165
ποιμαίνω
poimainō
poy-mah'ee-no

It is also used here

John 6:51-53 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

And they were fed...then lo and behold...each one claimed that the part he swallowed was the only portion that was good...

Old 04-20-2010, 10:29 PM

702 posts, read 564,047 times
"And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over therm; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors. But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve." (Luke 22:25-26 - KJV) There's no hierarchy among those who are Jesus' disciples, period. We're simply working other lords when any but Jesus Himself rules over each of us directly. No problem with the boss in his office in the workplace. We honor the President in his Whitehouse. It's as the Church there's little benefit from external or legal rule. When a bunch of youngsters come running in, because I'm so big I can see over (episkopos) them, where they're going, what they're doing. Being younger they give me authority. "Now Johnny, stop that.. All of you, quiet down. Cheryl, go find your mother. Everybody just take it back outside." Those immature but hungry for the knowledge and experience of God give authority to those in whom Christ is more fully formed. And the greatest is slave of all. In the context of the kingdom of God the true servants of God connect us to Christ our Head, securing and enlarging that connection. It's not how much I can bring healing or prophecy, how knowlegeable about the thing of God, how much of Christ I express that determines my greatness. The measure of ministry is how much of the image of Christ, all he is and does, I can bring forth from others.

Defending other mediators and objecting to every member participation here's probably the strongest verse. Hebrews 13:17 according to the KJV: "Obey them that have the rule over you..." "Rule" isn't there in the original, neither is "over." It more literally has those who are "advanced in 'protecting and caretaking' (one word)." Additionally, this is not the usual word translated "obey," which is to do what somebody else tells you to do. The original is "yield," giving place to those who are already themselves doing something, or, "be persuaded." The subsequent phrase (KJV) "and submit yourselves," aside from the fact it is in question if one desires a pure text, may be translated as, "and be deferring to them." So we have, beginning with the context of maintaining sacrificial good deeds, "Yield to those who are advanced in protecting and caretaking (and be deferring to them, for they are vigilant for the sake of your souls..." Instead of being told to be doing what we're told to do by those who would rule over us, this has us making room for and going along with those in our midst who are doing good works, specially the kind of work that has to do with adjusting our souls to accord with the Lord Jesus Christ. (v.8) A similar phrase is in v.7, and instead of KJV: "Remember them that have the rule over you..." we should read, "Be remembering those who are in advance of you who speak to you the word of God..."
Let me add concerning, "shepherd with a rod of iron"...a literal rod of ordinary iron would rust away in about 900 years. That would leave a little space at the end of the Millenium for the devil to deceive those referred to in the book of Revelation. A "rod" can be "a standard." Like, we are no longer on the gold standard.l

Old 04-20-2010, 11:04 PM

3,371 posts, read 1,955,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Yeah, somebody following me around with a rod of iron sounds kind of intimidating.

But, with the love attached.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity